Help with "Big Mac" chimney flue...I have never seen this

I do not even know where to begin with this. I see obvious damage, but what is up with the stacking of the caps? Ever seen this before? Is it ok? Consequence? (1990, Commercial bldg, retirement home, Georgia)

No brand name on the cap?

That is a 40X zoom from another roof section. That’s all I got and as close as I could get, nearly 75 yards away to get this vantage point.

Possibly some type of chimney cap to help prevent wind-related chimney downdraft, smoke problems, etc.

3 Likes

It looks like someone’s ingenuity, stacking up 3 chimney caps.

2 Likes

I spark arrestor, 2 caps and one good squish!

Top one looks square and the middle may have been square in a previous life.

2 Likes

Beat up to make fit. :grinning:

3 Likes

The three of them were the same at one time. Someone put them to gather.

2 Likes

My guess is it wasn’t drafting properly and someone with more imagination than me thought this would fix the problem.

3 Likes

The louvers reduce the net free area so to increase the opening they stacked 'em up. What was being vented?

1 Like

It is a defect and needs correction.

3 Likes

Only the fireplace. Gas logs.

Definitely needs to be checked out for proper installation/draft. From the pic it looked like it was on top of clay tile flue.

1 Like

That’s not a Big Mac. It’s a Double Patty Burger wt Cheese. Lol.

Observation:
Site manufactured Flue and Ember guard.
A: Flue to short.
B: Short crown.
C: Manufactured sheet metal crown slopes towards the flues. Slope should be towards the outside crowns dimensions.
D: Crown missing water drip-edge diverter to prevent water being distributed onto the masonry courses below.
E: Masonry chimney missing masonry crown.

Recommend: 1: A licensed masonry contractor install a properly sized masonry chimney crown. 2: Extend flue height. 3: Install rain cap and ember guard.

Write it all up when you recommend at least a level 2 chimney inspection.

1 Like

Thanks everyone. I have added it to the FUBAR comment section of my report.

1 Like