Help with Mobile Home Inspection

Originally Posted By: Roger Frost
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Help!! I have a 30 yr old mobile home to inspect in Ontario, Canada. What should I be aware of that is different from inspecting a house. I am especially concerned about roof and crawl space. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

--
Newbie Home Inspector
Looking For Education?

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

Hi Roger,

First a word of warning a 30 yearold mobile is 10 years past its sell by date and no one will lend on one that old, I would expect:

Plumbing issues, many were piped with PB (check how water heater was replaced if you can get at it at all).
Moisture problems with the flooring (especially under kitchen and bath), roofing issues
Roofing issues both with the condition of the covering and possible sagging of the structure (many have been improperly re-roofed)
usual electrical problems with homeowner additions.
Check for proper footings under piers and presence of whatever tie downs and anchors are required by local codes.

please follow this link for more: http://www.inspect-ny.com/mobileinspections.htm

Regards

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI Education Committee
e-mail : education@nachi.org
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"

Thank you very much Gerry, I appreciate the advice. As far as I know, there is no tie down requirement in Ontario, (I will check code) and there has been no additions to the original structure.

Sincerely Roger Frost

--
Newbie Home Inspector
Looking For Education?

Originally Posted By: jhagarty

Plumbing Supply lines and Heat Tape provisions.

HVAC duct under the Unit. Many times problematic if this is an older unit with modifications.

Note conditions of standing water or poor drainage from under the unit.

Check sanitary drain lines for breaches in the connections. Standing water may not be Storm water.

--
Joseph Hagarty

HouseMaster / Main Line, PA
joseph.hagarty@housemaster.com
www.householdinspector.com

Phone: 610-399-9864
Fax : 610-399-9865

HouseMaster. Home inspections. Done right.

Thank you Joseph Hagarty

Now that you mention heat tape, what is the best protection from freezing water pipes in our climate, can be 30 below in winter. Should skirting be insulated or all the piping?

This home is in original condition, 30 years old, no additions. This is how it was described to me. I want to be well prepared when I go there tomorrow :0)

Thank you, Roger Frost

--
Newbie Home Inspector
Looking For Education?

Originally Posted By: jhagarty

icon_question.gif

Joseph Hagarty

HouseMaster / Main Line, PA
joseph.hagarty@housemaster.com
www.householdinspector.com

Phone: 610-399-9864
Fax : 610-399-9865

HouseMaster. Home inspections. Done right.

Originally Posted By: dedwards

Check out this link: www.inspect-ny.com/mobileinspections.htm

Thanks guys, I appreciate the advice, especially on short notice :0) I’ve printed out the NY Mobile Home check list.

Thanks again

Roger Frost

--
Newbie Home Inspector
Looking For Education?

Originally Posted By: cmccann

Take the money and run. icon_wink.gif

NACHI MAB!

Originally Posted By: jtroth

What are your thoughts re: fee to charge. I am leaning towards the same as I would a home of the same square footage.

With the likelihood of there being problems I almost would want to either stay away from them or charge more.

I was surprised at the time it took to do the inspection. The crawl space took a while as there was a lot of problems under the mobile home with insulation missing, vapour barrier missing and debris laying around. I charged the same as a regular home and I think they got a very good deal. I noticed one inspector charged an extra $75 for mobile home inspections, well deserved I think.

Newbie Home Inspector

Looking For Education?

Originally Posted By: dedwards

I personally charge the same as any home based on SF. My liability certainly doesn’t diminish if it is a mobile home or a conventional home so why should I cut a break. I guess I see a lot of questions about reducing fees and there are going to be times when that is appropriate but frankly, my dentist doesn’t cut me a break whenever I go to him, the mechanic that works on my truck doesn’t, the real estate agent doesn’t cut their customers breaks. Home Inspectors need to carefully consider before giving discounts. It may be that we are unconsciencely giving people the impression that we are less than professionals by reducing prices. If your prices are fair and on par with those in your particular area than you should expect to be paid for your knowledge and experience. Had someone tell me yesterday I needed to come up with a reduced price for her because she uses me all the time. I told her she WAS getting the good price. The subject got dropped because she knows I was right. Nuff said.

Your right Doug, I would like to drop down this winter and spend a couple of weeks discussing this subject. Can I bring my dog?

Newbie Home Inspector

Looking For Education?