My name is Matt - from MA and thank you for taking the time to read this. My first post on this site, I have found other info that was valuable so decided to sign up.
I greatly appreciate your help and look forward to the feedback, so thank you.
Well… Here goes.
I have an underneath garage attached to my cape that has a paved driveway with a retaining wall on either side (the pavement grades wonderfully downhill away from the house). To the left and right of the single garage door are framed/sheathed/sided and was not previously done correctly so I had water able to infiltrate.
What I want to do is redo the framing (use PT) and the trim with (PVC) and prep to install stone veneer in the spring. I am looking to use this stone (Square & Rectangular | Boston Blend | Stone Veneer | New England | Stoneyard.com)
Picture 1 gives you an idea of what I am dealing with - picture 2 shows the rough proposal.
As you can see what I want to do is bring stone up from the ground (2" up from the pavement) and come up and out over to the sides of the poured concrete foundation (staying both 3/8" from the new pvc trim and 3/8" all around from the retaining walls (I will use the 3/8"backer rod and caulking in those spots after).
- (After i make sure i clean up the house wrap behind the vinyl) I plan to transition from vinyl to stone using some type of metal flashing to the sill stone/water table. What kind of metal flashing can I use? Anyone have anything specific I can go buy by name? I looked at roof edge flashing, but it is backwards for what I am trying to do. Any idea what this person used? Questioning Siding to Stone transition
- Looking at a sill/water table piece like this: Csa Ws Gray - Watertable And Sill - Cultured Stone - Stone - Boral USA
- My thoughts were to put up concrete board and paint with Laticrete MVIS Air/water barrier and also apply that barrier to the edge of the foundation (above the retaining walls) i plan to put stone on. Making sure to caulk the areas that have gaps between the concrete board and the retaining walls. Is this reasonable? (I really hope so as I have already got the concrete board up!)
- Do I need some type of weep screed? After reading the laticrete instructions I assume not, but i’m not sure.
- What do i do with the J channel piece on either side of the vertical wall? I will have a small ~4" piece on either side where the first course of siding is. Can I just dead end it into the metal flashing above the sill water table?
These are my major questions for now - I will be very very grateful for your time and help! Thank you and look forward to chatting.