Here we go again, back fed breaker...but not really a breaker?

Looks like a back-fed breaker. But it is not really a breaker. The main disconnect is outside at the meter. Should these conductors be secured like a back-fed breaker?

Absolutely!
It mounts (and falls off) exactly like a breaker!!

4 Likes

Agreed. So what do we call a breaker that is not a breaker? :crazy_face:

As stated on the unit… ‘Main Lug Kit’.

3 Likes

Good stuff! Thanks, now I can get it right in the narrative.

2 Likes

Neutrals doubled

2 Likes

Those back-fed lug kits are code compliant if they’re held in place by a fastener. Here’s the code reference:

408.36(D) Back-Fed Devices. Plug-in-type overcurrent protection devices or plug-in type main lug assemblies that are back-fed and used to terminate field-installed ungrounded supply
conductors shall be secured in place by an additional fastener that requires other than a pull to release the device from the mounting means on the panel.

5 Likes

@rmeier2 Thank you. This reference also helped dial in my narrative.

You’re welcome. I know that HI’s aren’t supposed to be quoting code but it is nice to know what the basis is for calling certain things out as defects.

5 Likes

I will save code in my auto comments for reference, then convert it into a HI narrative.

1 Like

Especially true for electrical, with all its nuances.

2 Likes

What type of fastener? Are they usually visible?

Google search. :slight_smile: not sure which ones are actually compliant.

2 Likes

Thanks. I’ve seen all those before. Thought maybe there was something new, at least to me.

Old wives tale. If the code exists in writing, there is nothing wrong with quoting the code. Many inspectors will include the exact code in their reports. That being said, it is much easier to put the code in language that the client can understand as long as it is correct.

1 Like

Hey all, just for my info and sorry for the newb question… is this “ back-fed lug kit” you are referring to like a portable generator feed that requires a interlock plate or a transfer switch ? If not what are these used for ?? What is the issue with them ? Unsafe?
Thanks for any clarity you can add?

Hi James,
The issue isn’t that one or the other is better or worse than the other, it is that all backfed units (breaker or not) must be secured in place with a mechanical fastener to prevent it from being “pulled” off (or falling off when worn). When such unit is pulled or fallen off, it stays energized! It is all about safety!
For a ton of info and photo’s, Google “Backfed Breakers” to get ya started.
Hope that helps.

3 Likes

Yes, they are visible, because you have to be able to unscrew it to get the unit off. Sometimes it will have a drilled hole for the screw right through the center, other times it will have a clamp or bracket that is also screwed in place.

1 Like

In general, home inspectors should not use the code word. Unless you want to be a code checker on your inspections, you don’t want your clients thinking that you are doing a code compliance inspection for the obvious reason, that requires you to be fluent in all applicable code books for the year the house and its improvements were done and in the codes that the municipal AHJ is enforcing. Obviously, most of what we do overlaps with code and we have to have a good general knowledge of codes but few of us are walking code encyclopedias. My two cents, go lightly and carefully when you decide to quote code. I only quote code when a challenge arises.

3 Likes

I’ve never seen these before, my question is what is the purpose of having a backfed breaker with no overcurrent protection (Or one could question the concept of “backfeeding” in general)? Is this typical in maybe a subpanel where the backfed breaker is supplied by the main panel with overcurrent protection at that point? and doesn’t the 6 throw rule still apply.

Well the main disconnect is at the meter as you said, so that makes this technically a sub-panel so grounds and neutrals must be separated, difficult to tell from the picture but I think I see a green screw on the neutral bus.

Just my thoughts