HI licensing coming to Ohio?

Has anyone heard of this? I keep hearing rumblings but cant find out anything.
The inspectors I know that belong to ashi say they are getting emails saying this is coming.
Nick, youre the man when it comes to this stuff, heard anything?

long time rumor the state cant afford to make it happen…

There is already licensing in some cities like Toledo and Columbus. Scroll about 1/3 of the way down this page for more info: https://www.nachi.org/ohio-certified-home-inspector.htm

They tried back in 2007 and again in 09 and failed both times. I was involved behind the scenes and was glad to see it fail. Here’s a couple links for you.

http://www.ohioinspectorlicensing.com/

I’ve heard chit chat about another attempt but nothing more than that as far as I know.

Many legislators are waiting until they see how things are going to play out with InterNACHI University about to offer actual college degrees in inspections. That’s going to change everything.

How so Nick?
Will it be required to have a degree form InterNachi to be a licensed inspector?
Will all of us in Ohio have to stop working until we get a degree?
Conversely wouldn’t ashi sue saying this is creating a monopoly for InterNachi?
Just some quick questions that came to mind.
Don’t get me wrong, I love what you are doing, just playing devils advocate.

ASHI is pretty upset about it as they keep losing members each year anyway, but it’s actually worse than they know. First off, many states already exempt courses taught by universities from having to get licensing board approval. Most licensing boards don’t even know this but if you dig enough, you can find those state laws. We have. Secondly, those who have a degree in home inspection are likely going to end up exempt from needing a license at all, just like architects and engineers are. And lastly, our marketing department is already creating entire campaigns for InterNACHI members to use their degrees as a competitive advantage over non-members in unstoppable ways. Basically, it’s over. Like NRA is for guns or AAA is for automobiles or AARST is for the elderly or NAR is for real estate agents… there is only going to be one inspection association.

Anyway, that association is InterNACHI. ASHI had a 20-year head start and lost. Worse, their leadership laughs about losing to InterNACHI. Now I wouldn’t give a hoot in hell for a man who lost and laughed. That’s why InterNACHI had to win the association war. Because the very thought of losing is hateful to InterNACHI.

As I tell InterNACHI staffers all the time - I don’t want to get any messages saying that we are holding our position. We’re not holding anything. Let the mini associations do that. We are advancing constantly, adding to www.nachi.org/benefits every day, and we’re not interested in holding onto anything - except the competing associations. We’re going to hold onto them by their noses and we’re going to kick them in the ***. We’re gonna kick the hell out of these mini, do-nothing inspection associations all the time, and we’re gonna go through them like crap through a goose!

Many thanks to George S. Patton for help with this post.

George had a colorful way of expressing himself. :wink:

And George C. Scott did a great job portraying the General imho.
The movie did a lousy job of portraying Bradley as some kind of saint and who was nowhere near the soldier and leader Patton was.
Such are my Memorial Day comments.