Ohio 96-hour Pre-Licensing Course

I was trying to figure out the licensing situation in Ohio. Based on this forum it looks like InterNACHI has now submitted their application to become a education provider to meet the course requirement of the Ohio law. I stubbled across the Ohio 96-hour Pre-licensing Course. Is this the course that was submitted for approval. Can complete just the section and were not part of the CPI courses and get the certificate?

Also I encourage everyone to write their Ohio state legislators and encourage them to reopen the grandfather provision due to the covid delay. Based on this forum it seems like there is a good number of us stuck in limbo right now that could now qualify for the grandfather provisions.

Any Proactive communication from InterNACHI on what they know and the status of their application to be a course provide for Ohio would be greatly appreciated!!

2 Likes

I’m in the same situation like you are. Right now I’m taking my cpi continuing Ed classes , so I can know what is what. Then onto my nhie exam. If I were you I’d focus on getting your nhie till we hear from the state… I think it’s a major embarrassment by the state to shut down because of covid-19, other regulated states didn’t.

Have you sent a insurance cert to the state like they asked for in their recent bulletin? I haven’t because obviously I don’t have a license number yet. Just curious

2 Likes

Nice work Nick The Ohio program has been stalled for a long time. Hopefully this will allow some of the younger guys get licensed. Some of us licensed guys are getting ready to retire…

1 Like

Attached is the notice from the state about license application being accepted now.

REPL - License Applications Now Available for Ohio Home Inspectors Program.msg (89 KB)

In addition to the pre-license course and passing the NHIT there appears to be proof of experience by either completing 10 inspections with a license inspector even though no one is available to do that with OR you will need to complete a curriculum of experience AND a peer review.

I am hoping InterNACHI will be looking into this and providing a means to meet this curriculum of experience.

Basically since the legislator failed to pass a law to reopen up grandfathering all of us that started in the business after grandfathering was closed Nov. 1st 2019 are out of business come July 1st unless we can meet this experience requirement. I just don’t see any inspectors currently in business doing the parallel inspection creating more competition for themselves.

NICK PLEASE HELP! Can you guys look at the “Cirriculum of Experience” requirement. Right now Hondors College is the only one approved.

REAL_ApprovedQualifyingEducationProvidersandCoursesforHomeInspectors.pdf (149.4 KB)

1 Like

Attached is the notice from the state about license application being accepted now.

REPL - License Applications Now Available for Ohio Home Inspectors Program.msg (89 KB)

In addition to the pre-license course and passing the NHIT there appears to be proof of experience by either completing 10 inspections with a license inspector even though no one is available to do that with OR you will need to complete a curriculum of experience AND a peer review.

I am hoping InterNACHI will be looking into this and providing a means to meet this curriculum of experience.

Basically since the legislator failed to pass a law to reopen up grandfathering all of us that started in the business after grandfathering was closed Nov. 1st 2019 are out of business come July 1st unless we can meet this experience requirement. I just don’t see any inspectors currently in business doing the parallel inspection creating more competition for themselves.

NICK PLEASE HELP! Can you guys look at the “Cirriculum of Experience” requirement. Right now Hondors College is the only one approved.

REAL_ApprovedQualifyingEducationProvidersandCoursesforHomeInspectors.pdf (149.4 KB)

1 Like

Being that I am studying to become a home inspector I’m a little bit concerned about this as well. I just received an email talking about this “Curriculum of Experience” and InterNACHI®️ is only under “Qualifying Education”.

I’m currently completing the 86 hours of the Pre-Licensing Course for the “80 hours of Qualifying Education” requirement but it appears only Hondros College is the only one that will assist me with passing the qualification of a “Curriculum of Experience” .

If possible I’d like to see an update about this and how InterNACHI®️ can help me get these qualification requirements out the door and keep the ball rolling to get my Ohio license. It’s understood that these regulations and laws were just implemented but existing and future home inspectors need to know.

The requirements of the application for Ohio licensure are here (Section 4764.07 - Ohio Revised Code | Ohio Laws).

Please review and we anticipate your answer.

Edit: For clarification the “Curriculum of Experience” requirement it appears that this need must be met as stated via the FAQ in the email sent.

Q: What kind of experience do I need to obtain for a home inspector license?

A: There are two kinds of experience and you will only need to obtain one type of experience. You will obtain either ten (10) parallel inspections OR you will need to complete a curriculum of experience AND a peer review.

Edit: It appears InterNACHI®️ is listed as an organization that is able to conduct a peer review along with the 40 hours of inspection as listed as a experience requirement via the application for the Ohio Home Inspector License.

I have successfully completed the experience requirements established in Ohio Revised Code Section 4764.05(D)(6) by completing one (1) of the following:
(Please indicate which requirement has been completed by checking the appropriate box below.)

Successfully completed forty (40) hours of work in home inspection within twelve (12) months prior to the date of this application and have successfully completed one (1) peer review session

Further down we have this entry of:

Peer Review
• Peer reviews must have been completed within 12 months of the date of this application.
• Provide copy of certificate of completion awarded by organization sponsoring the peer review.
Date Of Inspection Date Certificate Awarded Organization Conducting Peer Review
❑ ASHI ❑ InterNACHI

And it only has 5 entries to report the homes inspected. Which directly combats the requirement of “obtaining” ten (10) parallel inspections with peer review.

Using deductive, albeit hopeful, reasoning I can only assume that the requirement of completing forty (40) hours of work in home inspection within twelve (12) months prior to the date of this application and have successfully completed one (1) peer review session can be completed via the “mock” inspections required for InterNACHI®️ Certification.

I’ll be awaiting a reply.

1 Like

We’ve applied for approval to offer the Curriculum Experience" peer review so that you can avoid doing the ride-alongs.

5 Likes

Understood. If I may ask how long will that approval take? And in regards to my second edit. Will the “mock” inspections required for InterNACHI®️ certification serve as meeting the qualification of 40 hours w/ peer review ?

I would guess that a government approval for anything takes at least 2 weeks.

1 Like

Great news Nick! I got to say it’s impressive what you have built here at InterNACHI. Your helping so many create a carreer for themselves. The pandemic kill my family entertainment businesses so this was a great option for me since I have always done home renovations and remodeling as a hobby.

Thanks for your help with the ohio licensing stuff.

1 Like

Can you tell us in depth what the Curriculum experience peer review will entail? I’m kinda curious. Thanks Nick!

1 Like

I fall into this same category. I have completed an 80 hour course in Ohio, and have done extensive coursework through InterNachi. I am two inspections away from receiving my CPI through you. Having the additional 40 hours and the peer review will be my only roadblock to getting my Ohio license and I am panicky, to say the least. I am confident that InterNachi can fill this gap.

Welcome to our forum, Steve!..Enjoy! :smile:

Steve, In addition to the course and curriculum experience, you are also required to pass the NHIT exam to get your license. The state uses PSI for the testing and I sent them an email 4 weeks ago inquiring about dates and locationsand they never responded. Right now they are not doing tests in Columbus where I am located. I also tried to sign up for the NHIT test and it does not show as an available test for Ohio yet. Once I get to the bottom of this I will post what I find. I would definitely go out to the PSI website and check into the test.

1 Like

Dale,
I would first set up an account at PSI through their website. That makes it easier to schedule a test. The NHIE is the proctored exam you must take for Ohio as detailed in the Ohio application instructions.:
11. Q: Which home inspector examination do I need to complete?
A: You will need to successfully complete the National Home Inspector Examination (NHIE). You will need to register for the exam through NHIE here: Register for the Exam - National Home Inspector Examination. You should receive a certificate from the exam vendor showing you have successfully completed the NHIE exam. A copy of that certificate must accompany your application.

They are currently doing testing in Grovepoint and Dublin which should not be too far from you.

As far as your Peer review I know if you join your local ASHI chapter they do them from time to time. I’d look into it

The licensing goes into affect July 1st. You can start inspections now for your business if you like and then before July 1st, submit your application and I’m sure with your application being processed you could possibly do inspections? IMO

Any update on the approval for the curriculum experience from the state of ohio

1 Like