Hinged doors.

Originally Posted By: charper
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I inspected a new home yesterday and the “French Doors” from the master suite where hinged on the outside. The doors opened to the outside. Aside from being an obvious safety issue (hinge pins could be removed from outside) where in the code does it state that doors must open to the inside?

Charlie

--
Charlie

www.HomeInspectionGa.com

Originally Posted By: bbadger

I can’t help you with the code but I can tell you that the hinges could be “Security Hinges” which do not come apart by removing the pin with the door in the closed position.

These can look just like standard hinges.

--
Bob Badger
Electrical Construction & Maintenance
Moderator at ECN

Originally Posted By: ccoombs

I believe the code only address the height of the step with regards to doors opening out or in.

Originally Posted By: roconnor

charper wrote:
... where in the code does it state that doors must open to the inside?

It doesn't ... ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

In some areas (like down south I believe, where they don't deal with snow buildup) I understand it's common for the exterior door to swing out, which ends up with an exposed hinge pin. That is considered a security issue, which is generally not covered by model building codes.

Just check to make sure that the hinge has either a set screw on the pin (NRP type hinge) ... or what I think is a better solution, which is called a "security stud" (a stud on one side of the hinge matches up with a hole on the other side) ... to keep the pin/door from being easily removed. Otherwise I would write that up as a security concern.

Check this link for details on the two types of hinges, near the bottom of the page ... CLICK HERE

Just my opinion and 2-nickels ... ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?
NACHI Education Committee

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong

Originally Posted By: tschwalbe

In Florida all new homes they have to open out it is part of the hurricane zone building codes.

Originally Posted By: dsmith1

Got a call once at the fire department from a woman who was working alone late in the day. A snow drift had built up against the door and she couldn’t get out to go home. We kindly went over and let her out. Commercial doors may be required to open out depending on the occupancy, for easy egress, while residential doors usually open inwards. Storm doors open outward and one of our jobs was to try and get people to shovel their balconies off so they have a secondary escape route. We also give out tickets to businesses whose emergency exits are blocked by snow. If I can’t get out to a balcony to inspect it because of snow, its noted in the report as a limitation and a safety issue.