Hmmm would you walk on it

This wrap around deck is supported by 1/2 inch rebar bent under the floor joists and secured at the top by a 3/8 inch lag screw into the roofing structure. I like that they put some kind of insulation near the service drop. This is one of the most unbelievable techniques I’ve seen. Could this be an engineers home. you can zoom in to see attachment points…

3 Likes

There are many more issues there than just the rebar… don’t think I would

4 Likes

And is that a plywood surface? I don’t see any wood slats… prob rotting from no drainage…
I see about 4 or 5 different structural concerns

3 Likes

Wow, that is FUBAR.
To bend rebar like that, has to be done with a torch to obtain below minimum radii.
Hot bending is not a factory operation and since the strength of the steel will be reduce, uncontrolled hot bending is a dangerous practice.
I would be recommending a designer and builder to correct as required for safety asap.

10 Likes

I agree with, Marcel! :flushed:

4 Likes

7 Likes

Yes, it is a plywood deck surface with what appears to be a standard household paint covering what is left that is not rotted, much of the framing is rotted as well, not really looking for suggestions, I think this one stands alone, just wanted to share as I’ve never heard of nor seen this kind of practice anywhere.

2 Likes

Hopefully you never do again for the sake of people’s safety.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t jump on it, that’s for sure…

2 Likes

Don’t think I would walk underneath it either!

4 Likes

How did you get a picture of my beautiful deck. I spend a lot of time on it.

5 Likes

Not a structural engineer, more likely a electrical engineer :nerd_face:

2 Likes

I zoomed in as much as possible and it gets a bit blurry, but did they leave out the joist hangers and proper ledger fasteners too?

2 Likes

The whole thing was a hot mess. My comments included removal and to start over.

4 Likes

My jaw is on the ground, LOL

What in the heck were they thinking or maybe they were drinking LOL

I guess my only question as a buyer would be - is that deck wide enough for my hot-tub? :flushed:

7 Likes

As a welder for 20+ years, I can tell you that the rebar with that much heat and bend you do loose some strength, if you were to look at the bends there could be small cracks. Small cracks are a weakness also. This is someones idea after a few beers and an argument that needed to be proven.
If you have to hang it, use manufactured cables to fit.

2 Likes

That’s incredible

1 Like

I agree. But I don’t believe the roof structure was engineered to hang a deck from.

1 Like

And, a way for rust to yet more quickly get into the rebar…