Holes in Cedar Shakes

Originally Posted By: pdickerson
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/P/P1110813.JPG ]

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon

I’m not a WDI expert, but it looks like PPB holes to me.

Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

Originally Posted By: Jay Moge

those holes don’t appear to go all the way threw. do they? what comes to mind is a process of distressing wood to make it look old and weathered. not to sure on the process that would have been used here, but I’ve seen it done on interior trim at the factory with a water jet. besides isn’t one of cedars’ natural trait that it repels bugs?

Originally Posted By: ckratzer

Paul,

Probably western cedar borer ,(a beetle).

The wood was it’s snack before the tree made its way to the mill.

Apparently these beetlel don’t reinfest seasoned wood so that would mean the holes were there before installation.Since cedar swells when it is wet I seriously doubt a hole that small would leak.It would tend to swell shut first.

Cheremie

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

Hi to all,

I agrree with the pre-treatment beetle therorists, however I would also concider the spacing between the shakes, the gap looks awfully wide, if the roof is of a 1992 manufacture, you should concider the remaining lifespan left.

Regards

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI Education Committee
e-mail : education@nachi.org
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"

Gerry,Hi,

Oddly enough the gap concern would be “is it too tight?“Because when they swell,(caused by rain or snow of course), they will push against each other and curl if spaced too tightly.The gap on hand splits should be 1/8” to 5/8” and taper sawn would be 1/4" to 3/8". A bigger concern is the side over lap meaning a shake above a gap must have a side overlap of at least 1 1/2".And no gaps should be lined up in three consecutive rows.

Shakes should be walked on as little as possible as they do split Quite easily.

Hope this helps icon_wink.gif

Cheremie

i spoke to my local bug guy (also a friend) and he suggest that it may have been some WBI but chances are it happened before the shingles were shingles. (or shakes). the larva exited the wood at the mill and now you see what they left. blacking of the “holes” indicates that there hasn’t been any “life” there for a while. icon_cool.gif

Originally Posted By: mcyr

icon_smile.gif icon_smile.gif

Jay;

This is interesting and would like to know the cause.

Paul;

If you find out exactly what it is I would be interested also to the cause.

Thank you

Marcel

Marcel:

which comment would you like to know about, the disstressing or the bugs? I'm pretty sure you know how the bug part works, so i'll do my best to describe the disstressing. they have a kind of water jet (like the ones O.C.C. uses to cut metal) set at a random patern and only cuts about 1/16" deep. or they do it by hand. have you ever seen a picture frame that looks like it's been eaten by carpenter ants and wonder how the ant knew what the shape of the wood was going to be when it got milled? well he didn't it was done with the water jet. sometimes by hand. i searched the net trying to find a sight for it, but got nothing. i saw it once on a T.L.C. show and can't seem to find anything on it now. Or maybe i drempt it and now someone els is going to mass produce them and make my fortune. oh well. ![icon_cool.gif](upload://oPnLkqdJc33Dyf2uA3TQwRkfhwd.gif)

Originally Posted By: mcyr

icon_smile.gif Thanks for the info.

Marcel

Originally Posted By: lewens

Maybe it’s just semantics, but, as far as I know if the cedar was milled at all they are called shingles and all shakes are split by hand with a froe and mallet. The picture, to me, shows shingles. Having split many a shake in my day in British Columbia from BC red cedar, if I could have had them look that uniform the boss would have given me S%*T as they look too good to be shakes and he got more money for shakes than he did shingles. Please enlighten me.

Larry

Just my usual 12.5 cents

From The Great White North Eh?
NACHI-CAN
www.aciss-brant.com
www.certifiedadulttrainingservices.com/

Larry

You are exactly correct .Cedar shingles are sawn and generally thinner.

Hand splits ( or shakes) are ,you guessed it !,…hand split.

I suppose with todays technology someone may have come up with a “hand split machine” but not to my knowledge so far.

Cheremie