Home Study

Originally Posted By: B.Smith
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I was wondering if anyone could share their experiences with home study programs. Good, Bad? Are they worth the money?

Excellent forum!

Thanks

Originally Posted By: scieslewicz

Most home study courses are cheaper than the formal training schools. Probably a wise choice to try a home study course if you’re teetering on learning the inspection profession.

Just my opinion; good luck!!

Sue Cieslewicz

Originally Posted By: mtimpani

Check out Allied schools

Thank you, MarkTimpani

www.pridepropertyinspections.com

Originally Posted By: ddivito

The ITA school has great correspondence courses. I took one when I was starting out. They also pair you with an actual inspector to ask questions by email when you are taking the course.

www.home-inspect.com

Originally Posted By: C.Brundy

I just looked at the Allied course and, if paid in full at time of purchase, it is about half what the ITA correspondence course is. Is the Allied course that much of a bargain or does its low price reflect a corresponding lack of depth? Curtis

Originally Posted By: ddivito

I have not had any experience with Allied’s material.

Originally Posted By: Mark Leonard

I am currently enrolled at Humber college. Online distant learning. I think there are 9 home inspection courses at approx. $500 a piece plus books. These courses are recognized by OAHI. I would give the courses a thumbs up. I have completed 4 so far. You can check their website at

onlinelearning.humber.ca

Originally Posted By: Mark Leonard

I am currently enrolled at Humber college. Online distant learning. I think there are 9 home inspection courses at approx. $500 a piece plus books. These courses are recognized by OAHI. I would give the courses a thumbs up. I have completed 4 so far. You can check their website at

www.onlinelearning.humber.ca

Originally Posted By: Brian R. Sumpter

Well, I have to tell you, while I do have issues with ITA on-line testing, the course material seems to be good, and very informative. Their system will mark correct answers incorrectly at times in the on-line testing

I am JUST beginning my new business, and am on the last workbook(HVAC- which I hope to finish today!) and then my final exam.

The very few times I have had reason to contact the ITA staff, they are always professional, and willing to assist....now that I think about it, rather like the good people you find within this group at NACHI !

Best of luck in your search, and remember- the information you get from ANY source is only worth what you put into it!

BRS
First Call Home Inspections

Originally Posted By: chorne

American Home Inspectors Training Institute

Originally Posted By: lkage

Yup, www.ahit.com

Originally Posted By: Vince DiSciullo

Hi all. This is actually my first post although I have been reading the bb for about a year now. I’m currently in the process of starting an Inspection business and recently completed the Allied Schools course. While searching for schools I came across ITA, AHIT and a few of the other biggies. I chose Allied for a few reasons. One, the price was right and I did see it advertised on the NAHI site. Anyway, I think home study is an excellent way to gain knowledge if your expectations are realistic. The propaganda that these home study schools use should be ignored. You will not graduate from the course and automatically be ready to start a business as many of these programs claim. However, if you have done a little research about the field and truly assess your aptitude for this type of work, I feel you can’t go wrong with the Allied course for a good start. The course is well presented and uses a text by Russell Burgess which is considered a must in any inspectors library(so I’ve read). Each chapter has a quiz and there are several case studies throughout the course. You will complete an actual inspection of a home of your choice and must complete a report as well as include photos. For any items not inspected, a detailed description on what you would do needs to be sent in. As for a final exam, it is in fact proctored contrary to what people have said. They actually mail the exam to an approved proctor. Yes, you could cheat or use books, but what would the point be?? I guess what I’m saying is that I’m sure better programs exist, but this course packs alot of bang for the buck and is a good starting point.

Vince DiSciullo

M. Vincent Inspections, Inc.

50 Montrose lane

Elkton, Md 21921

Originally Posted By: B.Smith

Thanks for the input!!

Originally Posted By: jeremy duvel

i would not suggest allied online im just finishing up on the course right now. the material was not much help at all. if u dont know much about homes than it would be a good starter, but u can buy the book they provide on amazon.com for around $60(real estate home inspection mastering the profession)which is poory put together. im starting my own business and short on funds i decided to buy their course. u pay for what u get.

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

Hi to all,

watch this space ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

http://ww.nachi.org/onlineeducation.htm

Regards

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI Education Committee
e-mail : education@nachi.org
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"