Homebuyers Beware: Becoming a Certified Home Inspector Onlin

Originally Posted By: Dave Bottoms
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Originally Posted By: rcooke

All the training in the world does not make a good inspector . I have a friend in Toronto who just had an inspection down on the home last week . she was selling. The RHI moved the stove and damaged the kitchen floor ,he inspected the attic and left a lot of insulation on the floor . He took the cover of the Air Conditioner and left it in the drive way . He turned on the Breaker in the panel and tried the Air conditioner . The temperature the night before was 5 degrees C (40 Degrees F). I do believe the SOP says do not turn on any breakers that are off. I do believe we have all been taught that AC units have to be turned on at least 24 preferred 48 hours before running them . I do believe we should all know that when it is to cold last night we should not be trying the AC units . I guess this inspector missed a few classes.

Roy Cooke RHI …Royshomeinspection.com

Dave Bottoms wrote:
They say that any publicity is good publicity.

Click "play" to view the video:
http://kdka.dayport.com/viewer/viewerpage.php?Art_ID=8134&PreloadContract_DefID=1&Contract_DefID=2&tf=video_player.tpl&Category_ID=9

Dave

Gee Dave I hope you do post the same reporter from the next day He in this case does a Report on ASHI that sure makes the ASHI inspector look like he too needs some more Practice with his inspections .
I guess your friends at the BLOG might not give you this information to post.

Roy Cooke sr ... RHI....CAHPI-ONT....

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

http://www.nachi.org/kdkafollowup.htm

Nick Gromicko

Founder

dues=79cents/day.

I much prefer email to private messages.

rcooke wrote:
All the training in the world does not make a good inspector . I have a friend in Toronto who just had an inspection down on the home last week . she was selling. The RHI moved the stove and damaged the kitchen floor ,he inspected the attic and left a lot of insulation on the floor . He took the cover of the Air Conditioner and left it in the drive way . He turned on the Breaker in the panel and tried the Air conditioner . The temperature the night before was 5 degrees C (40 Degrees F). I do believe the SOP says do not turn on any breakers that are off. I do believe we have all been taught that AC units have to be turned on at least 24 preferred 48 hours before running them . I do believe we should all know that when it is to cold last night we should not be trying the AC units . I guess this inspector missed a few classes.
Roy Cooke RHI .....Royshomeinspection.com

rcooke Posted: May 16, 2005 3:39 PM Post subject:

I guess this was Daves answer below to my posting earlier.
Roy Cooke Sr. RHI ....CAHPI-ONT

Topic Title: Homebuyers Beware: Becoming a Certified Home Inspector Onlin
Reply Made By: Dave Bottoms
Topic URL: http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/viewtopic.php?p=130729#130729

NACHI Forum Index
Information

The topic or post you requested does not exist

Originally Posted By: clawrenson

deleted

Ontario Home Inspections Inc.

The inspector, Thomas Laurito gets hammered in the report. The KDKA TV reporter accuses him of writing the same comments “Nice Home” in every report.

For the record Thomas Laurito is a member of PHIC and ASHI.

Here is the new TV report: http://kdka.dayport.com/viewer/viewerpage.php?Art_ID=8156&tf=video_player.tpl&Category_ID=9

--
Nick Gromicko
Founder
dues=79cents/day.

clawrenson wrote:

It is high time for those that are really serious about professionalizing the home inspection sector to realize that less training, and less experience, will always leave an inspector or their affiliation they claim membership in open to attacks - particularly when they are negligent and do nor follow the required standard of care owed to their clients and to the public. Not to mention the word of "accountability". When is the first or last time any inspector has been turfed for screwing up badly? Who inspects the inspectors? Even more closer to home - who certifies inspectors?

Until real and credible changes are made - every home inspector and association will be a fair target to prove our professional capabilities.

No bias meant to any person, association or entity. Just my personal POV.
Cheers, Prof. Claude

Well said Claude Unfortunately What is needed is not happening . It looks like the associations do not want to hear this and if an inspector makes a complaint about what is happening it is so much easier to jump on the complainer then it is to fix the problem .
We all can only keep doing what we know is correct and hope that some time in the future improvements come about .
This seems to be industry wide all associations need vast improvement.
Thanks Claude . Roy Cooke sr.
Royshomeinspection .... More than an Inspection an EDUCATION

Originally Posted By: Mark Dudley

rcooke wrote:

I do believe we have all been taught that AC units have to be turned on at least 24 preferred 48 hours before running them.
I do believe we should all know that when it is to cold last night we should not be trying the AC units . I guess this inspector missed a few classes.

For what reason can you provide for having power to an a/c unit for 24-48 hours before running it?
A freshly installed unit may need to sit for a few hours if it has been turned on it's side during installation to let the compressor oil settle, but an already installed unit needs no such wait time.

Your point on not trying to run the a/c when it's already that cold outside is valid though.

--
http://www.thehomeforums.com/

Mark Dudley wrote:
rcooke wrote:

I do believe we have all been taught that AC units have to be turned on at least 24 preferred 48 hours before running them.
I do believe we should all know that when it is to cold last night we should not be trying the AC units . I guess this inspector missed a few classes.

For what reason can you provide for having power to an a/c unit for 24-48 hours before running it?
A freshly installed unit may need to sit for a few hours if it has been turned on it's side during installation to let the compressor oil settle, but an already installed unit needs no such wait time.

Your point on not trying to run the a/c when it's already that cold outside is valid though.

I have read this in many places I just pulled this from
The Carson Dunlop report in the Home Reference Book
(" sever damage can occur to the air conditioning compressors if they are turned on when the outside temperature is below 60 F (15C). Some compressors contain a small heating element which must be turned onfor 12 to 24 hours prior to the compresor starting up. If the heater is not turned on or if the outside temperature is low, The compressor should not be tested ")
Roy Cooke sr.......... Royshomeinspection.com

Perhaps ask the ASHI / PHIC member, Thomas Laurito featured in this new report out today:

http://kdka.dayport.com/viewer/viewerpage.php?Art_ID=8156&tf=video_player.tpl&Category_ID=9

--
Nick Gromicko
Founder
dues=79cents/day.

Originally Posted By: bsumpter

According to the ASHI training manual written by Alfred L. Alk 1990:

"A compressor that has been shut down by having its power supply disconnected canot safely be started unless the oil has been purged from the refrigerant. Unit with sump heaters must have been turned on for at least 24 hours (or such other time as the equipment manufacturer specifies in the operation and maintenance manual)."

--
"In the fields of observation, chance favors only the mind that is prepared"

Louis Pasteur

Originally Posted By: rwand

I seem to have read somewhere that one Canadian Association had something like 60 complaints last year out of a membership of approximately 500. Thats 12 percent of the membership which have been complained about. Don’t forget some complaints between homeowner and inspector never make it to the complaint department of any association. So that 12 percent is likely higher with any association. We are all not without sin.

When I served as Chair of the DPPC it was amazing to see some of the complaints coming in. I can tell you both novice and seasoned inspectors were equally represented in the complaint department. I could sympathize with some of the novices finding themselves in trouble, but when seasoned inspectors were complained about it was certainly enlightening to hear some of the excuses. Not once but multiple times!

There are good inspectors and bad inspectors, just as there are bad and good doctors, good and bad lawyers, etc. That is a fact of life. Seems common sense and good accumen for inspecting are not going to be everyones cup of tea. This news article looks like something that whacky idiot Heraldo Rivera would dream up.

Raymond Wand
Alton, ON

--
The value of experience is not in seeing much,
but in seeing wisely. - Sir William Osler 1905

http://www.raymondwand.ca
NACHI Member
Registered Home Inspector (R.H.I.)

Yes and the reporter had help by the maintenance man with the exam. Together they could only muster 75%! Think what the reporters actual score would have been had he not cheated. On the other hand how much can the Maintenance chap know? Duh.

Raymond Wand
Alton, ON

--

NACHI Member

Originally Posted By: Mark Dudley

Haven’t read that about it taking that long for the compressor heaters. What do you suppose people do when the power flickers? Wait 24 hours before they can have heat/air again?

I just checked my own heat pumps manual, and there is no mention of a required wait time, except the pre-installation wait if the unit was tipped.
The only wait is the forced 5 minute wait built in to the units electronics.

Even my old regular a/c would restart itself within a few minutes of power being restored.

I can see though where this might be of concern in severely cold climates.

Don't see much below freezing weather here in florida!

Oh, and the online NACHI test IS too easy. I made an 87.
I'd think at least a 90 would be required to pass.

--
http://www.thehomeforums.com/

Mark Dudley wrote:
Haven't read that about it taking that long for the compressor heaters. What do you suppose people do when the power flickers? Wait 24 hours before they can have heat/air again?

I just checked my own heat pumps manual, and there is no mention of a required wait time, except the pre-installation wait if the unit was tipped.
The only wait is the forced 5 minute wait built in to the units electronics.

Even my old regular a/c would restart itself within a few minutes of power being restored.

I can see though where this might be of concern in severely cold climates.

Don't see much below freezing weather here in florida!

Oh, and the online NACHI test IS too easy. I made an 87.
I'd think at least a 90 would be required to pass.

We are talking about units that have been shut down for an extended period of time not from a power bump. I would expect any practicing Home inspector should get a decent mark . The marks to get into NACHI we are talking about is to make sure the person has some knowledge about home inspection and homes in general . Roy Cooke sr .

Some A/C units have a sump heater to warm the oil in the compressor. Failure to power up the units 24 hours before start up means the high viscosity of the oil may not reach critical parts during start up. This oil lubrication is not pressurized like in a car, but the oil is splashed on the piston arm and crankshaft bearings, if the oil is not thin these parts will not be lubricated. That leads to overheating and metal stress. Increasing the chances of blowing the compressor. So I have been told. Also running the furnace in the heat mode would heat condenser thus causing a pressure imbalance so I have been told. However I do stand to be corrected.

Raymond Wand
Alton, ON

--

NACHI Member

Originally Posted By: eporter

Okay, the guy in the TV report is a reporter. He had help from a maintenance guy. If any of you know any maintenance guys, they don’t know much about homes, or certainly home inspections.

Either way, two people who have NEVER inspected a home should NOT have been able to pass that test on the first try. Period.

NACHI's on-line test has been the subject of countless posts (here and elsewhere) regarding its lack of credibilty. The TV report just exposed its short comings.

This is not new information, nor am I slamming anyone about it. The only thing this should do is serve as a wake-up call to the NACHI powers that be to change what has been requested to be changed by its members for years.

I know there are new tests, and proctor suggestions out there. They need to be acted upon, or completed soon.

Just my two cents.

--
------------------------------------------------
"Inspecting this home like I'm buying it myself."

Ed Porter
Cornerstone Home Inspection Services, Inc.
Grand Haven, MI