NACHI, ASHI, AHIT, or ...

Originally Posted By: Scott Cooley
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Hello, O.K. folks, for me, the uneducated, looking for the the best way to enter into a second carreer, What is the main differance between the three major certifying groups. Once I pick a group , Then I’ll look for the school that they recommend. I’ll be reireing from active duty Navy in about 9 months and would like to start my training soon. Washington state does not require a licence at this time but I can imagine that realtors will look for some kind of cert.

Originally Posted By: Guest

That question is like having three girlfriends and then asking one of them whom you should marry.

I'd be willing to bet that on the NACHI board, Nachi will get a scintillating review

Originally Posted By: jpeck

I’ll answer the ASHI part of the question this way.

I was a member of ASHI for about 14 years. "was"

I let my membership lapse when it ran out on Sept. 30. I want nothing to do with ASHI Branding. In my opinion, ASHI shot itself in the foot, and when realized it hurt bad, instead of patching it up, they just cut it off. Now they are walking with a limp and can't figure out why they wobble side to side when they walk.

Oh well, maybe by the time I semi-retire in 4-5 years they will have it figured out, but by then, it won't matter to me any more, not that it matters much now.

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Originally Posted By: dbowers

Scott -

You only listed 2 Associations for Home Inspectors. Ahit is like a Vo-Tech training school not an association. The 3rd major association is NAHI.

Originally Posted By: Brian A. Goodman

Scott,

If you check I believe you’ll find that you will need a license to practice home inspection in Washington state. Strange but true, you’ll need a WDO inspection license to do it (wood destroying orgamisms). Yep, an exterminators’ license. I’m sure one of the guys out there will come in and clarify this for you.

I'm not touching the association question.

Originally Posted By: rmoore

Brian A. Goodman wrote:
Scott,
If you check I believe you'll find that you will need a license to practice home inspection in Washington state. Strange but true, you'll need a WDO inspection license to do it (wood destroying organisms). Yep, an exterminators' license. ...

Actually Scott, it's now called a Structural Pest Inspector (SPI) license. We just need to know how to identify the various insects, the type of damage they do, and conditions conducive to infestation rather than how to kill them. Also included under structural pests, and this is the biggie, is fungal decay. The way the "law" currently stands is that anyone inspecting a home cannot report "structural pest" infestation, damage, or conducive conditions unless they are licensed. As the conducive condition for fungal decay is pretty much anytime moisture touches, or could touch, untreated wood it would be virtually impossible to conduct a thorough inspection without breaking the "law", unless every home you inspect has zero problems in those areas (unlikely to say the least).

Is there a squad of WSDA police running around enforcing this? I don't think so. But, I have recently seen a bulletin circulating realtors strongly recommending they cover their butts by only refer SPI licensed inspectors.

The exam for the license is not too difficult if you are willing to do the studying. Probably the most difficult part of obtaining the license is the financial responsibility (insurance or bonding) requirements. Go to the WSDA site and search for SPI. http://agr.wa.gov/PestFert/LicensingEd/CaSpiInfo.htm will take you directly there but you will still need to dig around a bit.

As far as associations go, I wouldn't sweat that right now. NACHI is probably the friendliest towards new inspectors but all the organizations are full of good people (despite the noises made by a very few here and elsewhere) and have something to offer, but you can make a more informed decision later. For now, you should concentrate on getting a good education, developing a business plan (marketing in this business is a bitch), and putting enough money aside to live on for the first year (or make sure the wife has a good job).

I managed to get through life without wearing a uniform but I have great admiration for those willing to put themselves in harm's way. If I can help answer any questions, give me a call...my number is on the website below (afternoons or evenings are best).

--
Richard Moore
Rest Assured Inspection Services
Seattle, WA
www.rainspect.com

Originally Posted By: dkeogh

Scott, To get back to your question what association is best. I am a member of ASHI, NACHI and have been a member of NAHI.

I found all three associations to have strengths and have met inspectors in all three associations that I liked personally and respected professionally. I would also say that in my opinion all three associations are lacking in some areas and leave room for improvement.

In my years as a home inspector I have been asked several times by real estate agents if I am a member of ASHI. I have never been asked If I am a member of NACHI or NAHI. That weighed heavily on my decision to join ASHI. I do not like the high fees that come with ASHI membership of the ASHI branding campaign, but ASHI is very strong in education and training so I try to focus on that.

NACHI seams to be the most willing to help new inspectors. They offer a great deal of information to inspectors free of charge. It also accrues to me that NACHI is like a third party candidate in a presidential election. NACHI'S growing membership and stance on legislative issues has help keep the political side of this business some what in balance.

I found NAHI to be a very inspector friendly association. The local chapter in my area has a strong membership and the monthly speakers they get are very informative. I intend to renew may membership this year. My only criticism of NAHI would be there unwillingness to stand up for themselves. In the past they have always willingly taken a back seat to ASHI. I think that that may be beginning to change.

I guess it comes down to what association is right for each inspector. I for one look forward to a time when there is much less animosity between associations and a lot more brotherhood. If you ask me there is a lot more all three association have in common then they care to realize.

Good luck with your new business.

Originally Posted By: jremas

Dan has provided one of the most informative, unbiased and experienced posts that kind of says it all and I agree with all of it. It all makes sense and it is something that I have experienced.

Jeff Remas
REMAS Inspections, Inc.
Northeastern PA & the Poconos
www.NEPAinspector.com

570-362-1598

Good post Dan, nicely balanced.

Originally Posted By: jburkeson

Deleted… icon_biggrin.gif

Joseph Burkeson, RPI (Hooperette)

?Anyone who has proclaimed violence his method inexorably must choose lying as his principle.?
~ Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

I too look forward to a time when talk about HI associations is less emotionally charged, still it is obvious that the reason for, and success of NACHI and to a lesser degree NAHI, is the failure of ASHI to address their own member’s needs, NACHI and NAHI were populated with those who were no longer being served by ASHI and were seeking a better life.

I also hope to live long enough to see the current state of affairs become a distant memory. It may or may not ever happen.

If I understand correctly NAHI was directly created from an internal split in ASHI, so they would have been all ex-ASHI at the start. However, I question whether NACHI owes very much to ex-ASHI crossover. I do know the number of dual-members has increased due to NACHI's internet success.

Had ASHI been a forward thinking, member serving, inclusive, egalitarian HI association from the beginning, there would have never been any need for the formation of NACHI or NAHI. The fact that one association has seen fit to wage war to discredit another portion of the HI profession speaks volumes about that association and its limited future.

As a profession grows there will be more organizations within it, no matter what the existing ones do. No one organization can ever hope to meet the needs and expectations of all. If ASHI had been inclusive it would not have been ASHI. The whole idea at the beginning was to create a high professional level in a field where none existed (think how raw and unrecognized the home inspection industry was 25 years ago). Naturally everyone would not be willing (or able) to subscribe to that ideal, hence exclusion and differentiation.

The war you speak of is largely a Cold War these days, which is a start. Since the agreement to layoff each other, NACHI is hardly ever even mentioned on the ASHI board. ASHI is a frequent topic here.

Harmony will only be achieved when ASHI finally decides to accept other established, trained, professional HI's as equals, in the real world it is plain to see that ASHI holds no premium, they have no proprietary knowledge and no basis for their unmerited display of smug superiority. As long as ASHI clings to its ivory tower 'Uber Alis' mentality, there will be animosity among the broad spectrum of professional home inspectors, as it should be.

ASHI's problem is not with "other established, trained, professional HI's". It's with those who work in this field without benefit of any meaningful footing (background, training / education, experience). I don't agree with some of their specific positions about these things (like certain legislation), but I do agree with the basic concept of "No, you can't go from being a hairdresser today to being a home inspector tomorrow".

Originally Posted By: John Bowman

icon_arrow.gif

Originally Posted By: Don

I researched NACHI,ASHI and NAHI and decided that when I join I will join NACHI because it for sure the easiest to belong to and be listed as a inspector. I like the fact that i can take the free test over and over until I pass it.

The dues are not to bad eether. When we set up and move upstate from the city i could go to one of the chapter meetings I see you guys talk about.

I called ASHI but they wanted me to take a test and pay for it then they wanted me to have a bunch of inspections and make sure that i did them the right way. And then take another test. I am not in this for brain surjery, just to inspect a few houses. NAHI wanted me to pay for a test to. This organization is much easier for me to get started so I will probly belong here when I make some money from inspections.

I already inspected on house yesterday in Orangeburg, NY for a guy’s brotherinlaw who I use to work with. I found tons of code violataions.

Don Warnig

Advanced NY Inspections

Originally Posted By: cmccann

Wow, are you serious? icon_rolleyes.gif

NACHI MAB!

Don,

That was either beautiful satirical wit or a very sad commentary. Either way Don, thanks for the post.

Don,

Sounds like you need to do a little more research. Email Dave Bush, NACHI Development Director for more indepth information. You can email him at membership@nachi.org.

Have you also checked out IHINA. Another Home Inspection Organization. Chad Fabry from the above post could possibly help you out on this. Check out his website, all the information you need to contact him is on there.

Good Luck on your search for a suitable fit. I would strongly suggest that you review the SOP's (Standards of Practice) and COE's (Code of Ethics) for every one of the Home Inspection Organizations before making up your mind. It may enlighten you a little bit more.

Or FIHI, that’s a little tougher than NACHI or IHINA.

By the way John, Don wouldn't be interested in IHINA, they don't "certify" their inspectors and on their website they state that they make no claims about the inspector's competence...just that they've made a commitment to ethics and have signed a pledge to that effect.

cmccann wrote:
Wow, are you serious? ![icon_rolleyes.gif](upload://iqxt7ABYC2TEBomNkCmZARIrQr6.gif)

I hope not. I smell an arrogance of something displeasant in the air. Sounds like a NACHI detractor set-up, again. ![icon_rolleyes.gif](upload://iqxt7ABYC2TEBomNkCmZARIrQr6.gif)

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

Quote:
I see ads on TV and in trade magaizines all the time for home inspector trainig. Must be a good job and very easy money. Sounds like there are a few areeas that need a bunch of inspectors.

![icon_rolleyes.gif](upload://iqxt7ABYC2TEBomNkCmZARIrQr6.gif) ![icon_rolleyes.gif](upload://iqxt7ABYC2TEBomNkCmZARIrQr6.gif)

Originally Posted By: Scotty Lee

Quote:
I researched NACHI,ASHI and NAHI and decided that when I join I will join NACHI because it for sure the easiest to belong to and be listed as a inspector. I like the fact that i can take the free test over and over until I pass it.
The dues are not to bad eether. When we set up and move upstate from the city i could go to one of the chapter meetings I see you guys talk about.
I called ASHI but they wanted me to take a test and pay for it then they wanted me to have a bunch of inspections and make sure that i did them the right way. And then take another test. I am not in this for brain surjery, just to inspect a few houses. NAHI wanted me to pay for a test to. This organization is much easier for me to get started so I will probly belong here when I make some money from inspections.
I already inspected on house yesterday in Orangeburg, NY for a guy's brotherinlaw who I use to work with. I found tons of code violataions.
--
Don Warnig
Advanced NY Inspections

Don,

It looks like you have found your niche in your quest for an association just as many others have done with your background and ability. You should have no trouble passing the Certified Inspector exam better known as the NACHI entrance exam.

Congratulations on your choice, you will be an asset to your association with your down to earth, clear and logical thinking.