HomeGauge or 3D

True …but the poster may not be aware of the other options.

Correct, if you are dead set on using a PDA then Home Inspector Pro isn’t for you, check out Home Gauge of Jeff Knight’s program. If you want to use a 7" Samsung Q1, Tablet, Laptop, Desktop then it’ll work great.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :stuck_out_tongue:

Hard for most humans to admit they may have made a mistake!!!

That’s true for a lot things isn’t it Brian.

Got coal?

Please check out the 4 part thread I have started , which should provide bi-partison opinion and help in software selection.

Bi-partison opinion? That’s a novel idea. Which do you recommend Bob?:twisted:

…just messin with ya;-)

Well after reading and getting red eye Here is my experience

3D is nice but the support SUCKS!!! :frowning:

The only choice is home Inspector Pro!!! :slight_smile:

You can add anything to it , including what you already have been using.

support is AWESOME!!!
Dom never sleeps, he is ALWAYS there to help if you have a problem.

Having said that, be prepared to spend some time tweaking whatever you get to fit with your style.

Home inspector pro ROCKS

Did I say support at 3D sucks?

Cheers

Every time someone asks the question about software, they get recommendations by the different software users. I can tell you how great HG is (and I wouldn’t be lying) but that will not help you. Do a home inspection with each one. Call the different companies while you are evaluating them. You will start to like one of them more than the others.

In the end, it will be you using the software you chose. So, make sure you have a list of one’s to demo and get started!

I agree with Russell. You really need to try each software out doing a test inspection (on your own house maybe) and see what you like or dislike. The only problem with that is sometimes you may not have the actual hardware yet to try all the software out on. If you don’t have a PDA or a UMPC Samsung device then you really are limited to actually using the software on a real live inspection. Using software at the office on a PC can be a totally different experience then trying to use the same software later in the field on a different type of device and screen size. I would recommend deciding first on what hardware you think will work for you and get the hardware first and then try out the software that works on that device to make your final selection.

Another problem with trying the demos on a live inspection is that none of the software out there is going to have the perfect comment library for your specific area of the country and the style of inspections you do…so unless you spend quite a bit of time modify the comments to your liking it becomes hard to really use the software doing a live inspection. Most inspectors are not willing to spends days on each possible software choice to modify the comments to fit their style before they test each one. This does not mean it is impossible to evaluate the software doing an inspection but the inspector needs to keep in mind that they should be evaluating the flow of the program, the interface and the features and NOT base the evaluation of the software on the set of comments that comes with the software since most of the software out there now can be completely customized to how they want the comment library to look like.

Jeff Knight
Kngihts Software Solutions,Inc.
www.knightssoftware.com

Jeff no offence intended, but thats exactly what one needs to do live, reconfigure as he walks through the house, making changes, adding canned responces.
WHY?
to see for himself how the software can change on the fly,
modifying templates
modifying responces
how it feels as he does the inspection, and how it responds to his quirks and reporting style.
This is where the rubber meets the road, and where the software should and will shine for that inspector.
I used IV3 and 4
Currently HIP
waiting for HG but have demo’d the hell out of HG4 trial
I was a PPC user prior and love the portability, dock in the van upload and massage the report.
We all know IV had an issue here for onsite reporting.
Hip is a super software and I really enjoy what I am capable of delivering
note ( what I am)
HG really took me by surprise with this release and when I can get it in a full version to really put it to the test I am looking forward to it.
Both correction ALL software is good, WHY?
it delivers a typed readable report for your clients. (my hand printing is horrible)
2) it lets those that CHOOSE to add pictures along with comments an option.
3) it has a layout that can be followed and can or rather should be modifiable to be presented in the way the inspection occured so that the CLIENT can read and remember as we went through the house, recall the pros and cons of the home via the report.
4) upload capabilitys, nuff said here
5) webhosting, again nuff said.
6) support, this is where some differ, Dom at the moment is able to survive on his USB plugin and requires zero down time except for the occasional re boot. HG is always a phone call away and if the person who does know is busy they will call back. but answers are for the most don right there.
7) the final report printed or electronic the differences here are a bit.
HG uses Html electonic and HIP uses Adobe PDF with the menu guidence system, both are great and work well, but you as the user would have to decide what you want and feel your clients need.

As a side note I would really like to review your software so I am able to make decisions based on actual testing rather then hearsay.

To those that are looking to buy I am sorry but yes you need to try each for atleast 30 days 60 would be better to really feel the software, you need the 30 just to get it into usable shape and tweeked to where you can actually properly test it. Maybe the software makers will up the ante to 60 or more days for a proper trial.
Then move to the next software your looking at and do another 30 days and so on
DO not attepmt to do a side by side trial yo will only get frustrated and scrap them all, you need the time to learn and 30 days rolls super fast.

any question I would be happy answer from my POV
Billy

Great info. However, I have to make a quick correction. HG uses html and has the ability to save as PDF.

I’ve been using reporthost for quite a while now and have been happy with it other than the fact you have to pay a fee each month. I’m considering other options but dread having to add custom verbiage as I believe most reporting software comes with generic verbiage requiring you to add lots of your own which is just a pain in the neck

No pain No Gain.

Everytime you do a report you can save comments and build as you go.

I tried Report Host and feel it is good for newbies , but not so great for anyone looking to impress.

It is to slow and not very customizable.I think I got 15 freebies and used zero in real Inspections.

I had no idea they now added a monthly fee though.

I use 3D and have had some difficulty learning the program. But after the initial inspection I have the report in hand, printed, bound and delieved on site in about 30-45 minutes. That to me is worth every penny. I use a hand held computer (ipaq) and then I sync it with my laptop in the van and then add pictures and then print it out.

Just my info…although I have never really tried another software this one works for me and it works well.

I am presenty looking at 3D primarily because is has a French version. There is not many inspection software available in French and English…:frowning:

Vince, I am surthere are a few here that would send you there comments section for you to also add and use which would speed things up. The changeing is a forever item, I am adding new items or changing them all the time. Especillay from this site, I pick up new ways of saying things that I like and rewrite mine to accomadaye the new information, it will never stop.
This is where the software has to be able to grow with you and as your services change so must the software be able to adapt to your added inspections, IE Mold, IR, Roof inspections IR, insulation, new construction, renovations, commercial, industrial, HVAC, you need to have a software that can alllow you to make these modifications to report what you are inspecting.

Marcel, with several of the programs you can add your own narratives in your own language. I know we have quite a few French users and have even added in a French spellchecker (as well as 4 other languages). I’m sure HomeGauge also has French users.

Much like re-inventing the wheel and that takes lots and lots of time, which I don’t have.

Hey, how about you doing a French version of HIP?

See what I mean…:wink:

Hi Marcel,

If only I spoke French :slight_smile: I’ve asked a few of the guys that I know are using HIP in French in the past if they would share their templates but they didn’t feel comfortable doing it. If you make a French template I’ll give you the software and all future updates for free.

If you ask the guys around here, with ANY software you will be rewriting most of the narratives for yourself.