Hot water heater to hot 183 degrees

I did an inspection today, the hot water heater was 183 degrees, I shut the breaker, contacted the realtor as the hpuse was a foreclosure and talked to my client about replacing it, did I do the right thing and all the things I learned about water heaters I do not know the reason for the high temperatures, I did check the setting it was set at 125

How did you measure 183F? was it gas, electric, oil-fired? BTW, it’s not a HOT water, it is a COLD water heater :slight_smile:

1 Like

Perhaps that’s the reason why!!

Checked with my infrared thermometer and burning sensation on my hand, electric

1 Like

That’s part of your problem!

Yes. If you can’t hold your hand under the stream of hot water imagine a child trying to escape that water. You did do the right thing.

1 Like

Thanks Martin, Jeffrey what is wrong with my infrared thermometery and does anyone no the reason it’s so hot.

1 Like

It could be a number of reasons. You likely have a defective thermostat on one of the electric elements.

Thanks again Martin ,should be replaced as it’s 14 years old, just wanted to know. Thanks again

1 Like

Wrong tool for the job. You need a bulb or probe type thermometer.

1 Like

Well all right Jeffrey I will get a probe thermometer, maybe next time you could just say that, thanks

2 Likes

Whatever method you were using to get that high temperature appears to be working. Run the tub through the metal tub spout for a few minutes. The tub spout will quickly conduct the heat and be similar in temperature as the water.

When it comes to measuring temperature coming out of a tub spout, your hand is an excellent tool. If the temperature appears to be too hot you may measure it and report the temperature as being over 120°F and in need of correction.

That’s awesome. It would break my personal world record of 163.
Well done

1 Like

140 degrees to prevent Legionnaire’s disease.

" Maintain Water Temperature at 140 °F. This includes supply water and any hot water storage devices. Legionella can survive in a temperature range of 68 to 122°F and grow in a temperature range of 77 to 108°F. However, the bacteria are known to survive outside these ranges if it can find a biofilm in which to hide. That’s why it is important to maintain hot water systems at 140°F degrees, including any hot water storage vessels. A high/low flow mixing valve can be utilized to supply 120°F to the fixtures. While it may be tempting to use temperature setback as a means to save energy, it is better to conserve energy elsewhere as this increases the vulnerability of any hot water system. "

2 Likes

Mixing valves cost extra, stop it! Yeap!

Exactly!!

Thank you all, I’m a newbie and working hard to succeed, just need to know all I can, thanks again

IMHO - you made the right call. Electric wh, vacant home, contacted agent. No harm no foul. You are reporting high temp to your client for safety reasons. I’ve been using IR for 20 years. It works fine (+/- a degree).
Here’s why you ignore energy economy and pseudo science, and just give your client the actual Useful information…
PHOTO ATTACHED image

4 Likes

Where the hell’s the fun in that??

Jeffrey I’m a no nonsense person, facts drive me, I guess I’m know fun, im a few hours from you spent a little time in owatanna born and raised in Stillwater, I had done a few Inspections, but I cut my finger off this summer, this hot water heater was my get back into Inspections, I have a friend with you same first and last name, anyway maybe sometime you could take me on a ride along, or not no worries, I follow the 3 D’s detect, you are using the wrong tool, describe this tool gives inaccurate information, direct go get yourself a probe thermometer,