House rotating?

I did a structural inspection on a home that had bowed, and was retrofitted with carbon fiber support strips to prevent any additional bowing. They were installed around 10 years ago. I determined that the house is still moving. There was a newer (cracked after being painted, sharp edges) horizontal crack with step cracking at both corners. The foundation was CMU. The company that installed the carbon fiber came out and checked the wall. They told my client that the house was not bowing, that it was actually “rotating”, and as such they were not liable, although it was still under warranty. My question is; have any of you seen a house rotate? I have not heard of this before. If so, what would be the tell tale signs of rotation over bowing or settlement? What can cause this to happen?

We have a rotating house here. It’s awesome. Here’s the story about it: http://www.utsandiego.com/uniontrib/20060210/news_7m10rotate.html

Oh, wait. You’re talking about a completely different type of rotation. Your type of rotation is a new one on me.

Thanks for the reply. I am thinking with all the views and so few responses, others are stumped on it as well. I did suggest she talk to a structural engineer for more information.

I’m just using common sense here, what would cause a house to rotate? Where would the force come from?

I have heard of crop rotation but not house rotation.
I think the contractor is not logical in the hypothesis.
Foundation deflection.
The deviation of the indicator of an instrument from the position taken as zero.
The inward movement of basement walls due to increasing hydrostatic pressure.
Recommend a soil test.

When you don’t want liability you will make up any ol’ crap to avoid it.

Engineer seems like the best route. I can’t wrap my head around how it’s even possible for a house to “rotate”? Seems to me that would require far to much movement in several different directions to accomplish.

Russell - do like the rotating house though. Pretty cool that he could pull that off.

I’ve never heard of a house bowing. Foundations or walls may bow, joists may rotate but entire houses do neither one.

What part of the house was bowing and to what were the carbon fiber strips applied?

Houses don’t rotate unless the soil they’re built on rotates. Soil doesn’t rotate either.

The basement foundation wall was bowed. Horizontal cracking in a CMU wall. 3rd mortar joint from the top, with step cracking in the corners. The carbon fiber supports were attached (glued/adhered) to the foundation wall. Section of the supports had separated from the wall.

Several foundation repair websites mention rotating cracks. This must be the terminology they were taught by the parent company. If you look at their example photos they are talking mainly about settlement cracks. The majority of the walls with settlement cracks have technically rotated about a point, usually at the bottom of the footing. Carbon fiber repair in the photo submitted is designed for out-of-plane bending only, i.e. the wall bows into the basement. I would have to see the wall to determine if they were correct or blowing smoke up the owner’s a**.

How about clay?

Expands and contracts. Rotates only with the entire earth. :wink:

Or http://money.cnn.com/video/pf/2012/10/04/pf-rotating-home-san-diego.cnnmoney/

How about if it is unevenly moist?
Opposing each other.

Carbon Fiber strips not working??? Say it ain’t so! Why fix the problem when we can slap a band aid (literally) on the foundation.

I heard of a house long ago that rotated so fast it actually killed a woman.

download.jpg

Ha ha ha
Good smoke. He spent the money on carbon fiber straps.

Nope, that was the tornado’s fault and not the homes.