How can this be re: foundation?

Originally Posted By: Diana Reese
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

After all that I have learned re: water at or near your home’s foundation, I have to ask this question. icon_smile.gif How can a home that rests in a flood plain area that experiences days of water pooling at their foundation whenever it rains go 50 years with no signs of foundation problems? What kind of foundation and soil conditions can withstand this?

Thanks!!!

Originally Posted By: jpope

Post-tension slabs and foundations, caissons and/or piles, custom builds with two-way slab reinforcement, etc., etc.

There are many ways to design for "known" factors - i.e., water, movement. It's the "unknown" factors that are difficult to design for.

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738

Thank you. Life is full of irony – someone living in a flood zone with a foot or two of rain soaking their foundation walls gosh knows how many times over 50 years can have a more solid foundation than someone who lives in a non-flood zone with good grading. icon_eek.gif Oye!

Originally Posted By: R. Michael Gray, P.E.

Mostly likely the supporting soil is not moisture sensitive. This would be the case if the supporting soil was sand with little or no silt; if the supporting soil it may be non-expansive.

R. Michael Gray, PE
Professional Structural Engineer
webmaster: www.houston-slab-foundations.info

Hi! Yes, sandy soil might be the answer here. You know, it’s kind of funny living in Florida. Everyone assumes we’re all sitting on sand, but that’s not always the case. (I believe this is why most homeowners do not appear to think twice about gutters or even grading for that matter.) Central Florida is known for having clay which is moisture sensitive. I live on the West side of Central.

Ah well ... some are blessed to have good land; some are not.

Thanks again! Your Web site has been extremely helpful and informative. ![icon_smile.gif](upload://b6iczyK1ETUUqRUc4PAkX83GF2O.gif)