How concerned are you about your electrical safety?

Originally Posted By: rcooke
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Yes and the back of my fingers to check the temp of breakers and fuses.

I also use my left hand if needed to turn on or off all disconnects or switches.

Roy Cooke Sr.

http://Royshomeinspection.com

Originally Posted By: tallen

rcooke wrote:
I also use my left hand if needed to turn on or off all disconnects or switches.

![icon_cry.gif](upload://r83gSGUzNOacIqpjVReDwcR83xZ.gif)

--
I have put the past behind me,
where , however, it now sits, making rude remarks.

www.whiteglovehomeinspections.net

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

tallen wrote:
rcooke wrote:

![icon_cry.gif](upload://r83gSGUzNOacIqpjVReDwcR83xZ.gif)

What do you not understand?

--
Roy Cooke Sr.

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

Based on OSHA recommendations.

1, Safety Glasses
2, Cotton (as opposed to polyester) workwear.
3, Electricians gloves.

Whether you believe big brother is taking over or not, OSHA does not apply, or you just hate being told what to! do the above makes sense, and would be concidered a minimum standard for working around 120/240V residential electrical supplies.

Practices Based on common sense.

1. Never stand in a puddle to remove a dead front
2. Test for voltage on the panel enclosure or dead front with either:
(a) An electrical meter
(b) By placing the back of your hand against the enclosure (if it is live your arm muscles will contract to pull your hand away).
3. Never insert tools or exposed skin in to the panel.
4. Do not start pulling on conductors to see if they are loose.
5. Check for hotspots on the conductors and breakers using a lazer temp gun.
6. Never pull a dead front that has moisture dripping from it or one that has rust damage from moisture (it allready requires repairs just state so in your report and move on!).

Regards

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI Education Committee
e-mail : education@nachi.org
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"

Originally Posted By: bbadger

I agree with Gerry’s thoughts.

Very few dwelling unit panels can provide the high level of incident energy that would require more than what he recommends.

It is a complicated subject but in a nut shell most dwelling unit panels are located so far from the transformer and fed with such relatively small conductors that the circuit impedance will be high enough to prevent the disastrous results as shown in Joe's scare pictures.

I am in no way saying that you can not get an arc flash from a dwelling unit panel but it is very unlikely that you will be subjected to tremendous blast pressures that take you off your feet.

Here is a picture of one of my coworkers dressed for action.

![](upload://lm5Oz0E5kjoovm4hit1i1wpgE0R.jpeg)

He is about to open switch gear that if it flashed over he would be lucky to survive even with that moon suit, he would likely be thrown against the wall by the tremendous rush of expanding air created by the flash.

This is not normally an issue at a dwelling unit , use care, wear some basic 600 volt gloves, safety glasses and really follow Gerry's advice about the natural fiber clothing.

If you where to get burned wearing polyester it will be a long unpleasant, painful experience separating the polyester from your skin. ![icon_cry.gif](upload://r83gSGUzNOacIqpjVReDwcR83xZ.gif)

--
Bob Badger
Electrical Construction & Maintenance
Moderator at ECN

Originally Posted By: rwand1

I do not wear gloves.

I do not wear eye protection.

I do wear rubber sole shoes.

I do not open panels where I feel my well being will be jeopardized either due to access, storage, wet conditions.

I have yet to see any electrician I know wearing gloves, glasses, I do see them wearing safety boots.

I have had electric shock from panel when puting panel screws back in. (Panel was located in basement washroom)

I have had panel cover arc when puting it back on.

I have had client in bare feet lean up against beer fridge in basement and get a shock.

Live better electrically.

On another note how many of you who go on roofs tie off ladder and wear harness with tie off?

--
Raymond Wand
Alton, ON
The value of experience is not in seeing much,
but in seeing wisely. - Sir William Osler 1905
NACHI Member
Registered Home Inspector (OAHI)
http://www.raymondwand.ca

oh… and I don’t wear polyester because I am fashion conscious!

Raymond Wand

Alton, ON

NACHI Member

Originally Posted By: Greg Fretwell

Bob climbs into those “refrigerator box” sized CT cans with a torque wrench and a mouth full of wirenuts icon_wink.gif

We are supposed to just be inspectors and we should be doing most of our work with our hands in our pockets. I don’t see a big need for electrical gloves. Leather work gloves might be a good idea when you are reaching into dark spaces in attics and crawl spaces tho. Sharp metal, nails and exposed conductors are an issue but you can’t underestimate the critter factor.

My wife was rat bit once in an attic, proposing HVAC systems. They seem to like environmentally conditioned air that leaks around the scuttle hole if they are not just opening up a “drop” in a duct in the middle of the attic.

Don’t reach over a duct, without looking, to see where the cold air is coming from! It may be a rodent condo. They may have also peeled a little Romex.

Originally Posted By: dspencer

What are the death rates in the US of Home Inspectors due to Electrical issues??? I think we have a better chance of dying from Radon Gas icon_lol.gif

I think you have a greater risk of falling off a ladder, roof, resulting in death, compared to number of inspectors being electrocuted. I have been inspecting since '91 and can remember several inspectors falling from ladder, roof, death.

Shocking!

--
Raymond Wand
Alton, ON
NACHI Member

dspencer wrote:
What are the death rates in the US of Home Inspectors due to Electrical issues??? I think we have a better chance of dying from Radon Gas ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

No Idea on Radon but really feel Cigarette smoke even second had will remove far more Home Inspectors the electricity does .
I started the trade over 50 years ago.
Still use my left hand to turn of or on all switches and disconnects.
Saved me much difficulty many times

--
Roy Cooke Sr.