How long to get 1 inspection per day

Originally Posted By: gwilliams
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I am new to the business, and am licensed in NC & SC, having passed the two state exams. I have all the marketing material ready(ie. brochures, fliers, cards, tools, etc.) but I do hold a day job. I would like to stop my day job and go full steam by visiting Realtor offices, visit open houses, and all the regular stuff that all the Inspection Marketing text books recommend. If I stop my day job and venture out full time, can someone with experience please tell me honestly how long it will take before I can expect to get 1 inspection per day. Thank you.

Regards
Gary

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

To get one per day depends on many factors. How large of an area do you cover, how many inspectors are already working that area, how is the real estate market, how well can/do you sell yourself and your service, are your prices competitive (not the cheapest or the most expensive), how well do you present yourself, how good are your marketing materials?

When I opened in Northern VA in 1995, it took me 6 months to get one per day in a large metropolitan area with a decent real estate market. I opened in FL last year and it took me 7 months to get one per day in a small town with an average real estate market.

Bottom line is, go break some eggs. The only drawback to working and starting part time or in addition to your day job is that you may not be available when someone needs you. I got to do a lot of inspections both times starting out because I was available the next morning, and no one else was.

Now at the one year mark, I'm averaging 8-9 per week, and have been since early January. It takes time, and effort, and it's worth it.

Good Luck!!

Originally Posted By: Matthew Bartels

I have been at it for just about 1 year and I can tell you it’s not easy. I still don’t always get 1 per day. You may have nothing for 2 weeks and then be booked solid another week. My best advise is to manage your money wisely. You never know what tommorow might bring.

can’t we all just get along?

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon

I’m averaging 1/week after a month of being in business and all that $ goes right back to advertising costs. Not enough to keep the lights on. Hopefully things will pickup.

Just joined the local business council to network a bit.

Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

Originally Posted By: dbowers

Most of the better inspectors will start averaging 1 per day by the time they’ve been out there 6-7 months. Others won’t One of my past students in a town of 212,000 people did 61 inspections the 1st year (aug - dec); the next year 174 inspections; the next year 286 inspections.

Good Luck

Originally Posted By: ekartal

Dan,

Sounds like a good student you had! Another factor is simply where you live. I think it would be very difficult to get work every day if you live in a rural area.

Erol Kartal

Originally Posted By: pmizeres

Gary,

I would keep your day job until you are consistently booking at least 3 inspections per week. If you do a conscientious, thorough job, you will find most of your business comes from past client referals for the first six months or so. After this, the Realtor referals start coming in. It is very possible to do 3-5 inspections/week and hold down your day job until you are comfortable with your cash flow. 6 months does seem like the magic number to get to this point. No sense in going into debt for 6 months while you are building your business. Be patient. It will come.

Pete in Cleveland.

Originally Posted By: dbowers

Erol - My student was in a town of 212,000 surrounded by farm land for 100 miles in all directions. He is a marketing fool. When I SMILE, people always stop and ask me whats wrong am I in pain, etc. Oh well !!

I've got a guy I know in WAY OUT west Kansas that lives in a town of about 20,000 people (biggest town in a 100 mile circle). He's so far out he's 275 - 300 miles to the closest town of 60,000 population. We're talking WAY OUT.

I wouldn't wanta do what he does - BUT - he makes a 100 mile circle for HI's. Hes also got certified in radon testing, EIFS inspections, septic, water and well inspections, licensed in lead and asbestos inspections, and he does termite inspections. On top of that he got code certified and does code inspections for several SMALL towns that can't pay someone full time. He wears a lot of hats but hes made a REAL NICE living out there.

Originally Posted By: rray

pmizeres wrote:
If you do a conscientious, thorough job, you will find most of your business comes from past client referals for the first six months or so. After this, the Realtor referals start coming in.

I think it's just the opposite. Realtor referrals will come in before past Client referrals do. Think of it this way. Realtors are working with people every day who are buying homes. Past Clients only rarely work with anyone buying a home, unless they have an extremely large circle of friends, relatives, and other acquaintances.

![icon_twisted.gif](upload://xjO326gspdTNE5QS3UTl0a0Rtvy.gif)

--
Home inspections. . . .
One home at a time.

I got started fast simply because I had to if I were going to continue living in San Diego, which is, uh, a little expensive. I’ve been averaging one inspection per day since day one of business. But I did a lot of work the 65 days prior to opening that got me there.

Be sure to check out the Marketing thread in the Members Only area.

--
Home inspections. . . .
One home at a time.

My area is heavily dominated by ASHI. In fact, the 2 largest realty companies here will not refer clients to non-ASHI inspectors. Its in the contract with each Realtor. So my business was built on client referals until I got up to speed. Its a little tougher here in Cleveland. It also snows 5 months of the year.

Pete.

Snows?

--
Home inspections. . . .
One home at a time.

Originally Posted By: afernbaugh

I started my business on June 1, 2003. I was at an average of 1 inspection per week in my 4th month. I am now closing in on my first year of inspections (12 more days) and I stand at 105 for the last 11.6 months.

Before you ask....I am in a community with a population of about 650,00 people, 2000 real estate agents and 57 licensed inspectors in a 50 mile radius.

I expect to end my first year at about 115 inspections. I am, of course, pleased with where I am but I am not complacent. I make sales calls if I don't have scheduled work, I send e-mails every week to about 200 realtors, speak at sales meetings, work on two Realtor Board committees, and worry constantly that I am not doing enough.

My goal for next year is to average 20 inspections per month. I think that is attainable if I continue to work hard at selling myself.
Regards,

--
Alan Fernbaugh
Five Star Inspection Services
Baton Rouge, La.

Russel,

Snow is something you put in a Margarita to keep it cold. ![nachi_sarcasm.gif](upload://6HQh6KbNiD73gqTNQInjrR2zeJw.gif)

Erol Kartal
ProInspect

Did I say 5 months? I meant 7.

That’s a lot of time for margaritas, Pete, a lot of time.

--
Home inspections. . . .
One home at a time.

Ok…I just went to my local (state organization) chaper meeting and it was an eye opener to say the least.

Some guys were doing 14 inspections/week. icon_eek.gif

The biggest eye opener was what they stated they reported and what they didn’t. They talked about not reporting code conditions on homes before the code was implemented…we all know we don’t do code inspections, but it’s a fine line…the guys were telling me that if the home is 50+ years old an doesn’t have GFCI’s they don’t write it down…I was dumbstruk to say the least.

I was under the impression that a safety hazard was a hazard regardless and there was a reason that those codes were implemented in the first place.

Now the reason I’m putting it here is because the guys said that if I get the name that I’m the new cop on the block writing this stuff up, I won’t get any RE referrals, and my phone will never ring. They said that “you’re inspecting the homes relative to other homes built in the same era…Peroid”. If it has a slightly sagging roofline, you don’t mention it because a home that old will probably have a sagging roofline.

Just trying to get a concensus of what you all think. All the guys at the meenting were basically in the same agreement. And the #1 rule was CYA. If you find a panel that something is wrong with…write up that they need a evaluation of the entire system. Is this how you all percieve what we are supposed to do? I really don’t want to lose out on inspections because I’m too thorough, and write up too much. I just want to do a good job and have a happy client, but don’t want to piss off too many realtors.

Kevin

--

No GFCI on a older home I believe is ‘grandfathered’. But I would report it as a safety concern and recommend immediate upgrading.

Erol Kartal

Originally Posted By: tallen

Dito to Earls post

I have put the past behind me,

where , however, it now sits, making rude remarks.

www.whiteglovehomeinspections.net

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

A fire wall between a garage and a home is grandfathered in as well but it’s still a safety thing…and I would have reported it as such. Some guys were saying they don’t report it at all, and others said “not safety hazard or defect” SAFETY CONCERN!

Just wondering where the concensus lay with you all here?