How low is too low?

Originally Posted By: cpatterson1
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Hi all, how do you decide when a crawlspace is too low to enter. I for instance feel if I can get through the hole and look up enough as I slither, to see the crawlspace its enough. This practice is often painful (if the crawl is rocky) and often my face is literally in the dirt under the beam. Other inspectors I have talked to say, if they can’t crawl on thier knees they don’t go in. Is there a guideline you go by?

Originally Posted By: bking

depends on your local HI regulations and the SOP’s you use.

Here in SC we have it rough, 18 inches requires a crawl and inspection.
If adverse conditions exist we can limit the crawl and report why.

Originally Posted By: jpope

If I can pass through without taking off my respirator, I will continue the crawl. I will not sacrafice my PPE for the crawl.

Originally Posted By: bkelly2

Cheryl, I do not do too many crawl spaces, but when I do I have switched to a 1 million candle power light. It has helped alot.

Yeah thats what I though too. I did one today that the opening was 12 x 12 and my respirator was dragging along the entrance. I did go in and I am usually glad I did, I always find something. I just wondered what others did. I can keep up with the big dogs (lol). I have talked to RE’s that say some of thier inspectors don’t do the crawl. Then they say are you REALLY going to go in there, Yucky? By the way I bought elbow pads today, made a big difference!

I would not go into a 12"x12" crawl. For one I doubt I would fit, and secondly, I do not think it is safe (too much confined space training earlier in life).

Originally Posted By: bkelly1

Ya, I have kinda wondered how all the guys ordering 2x shirts can fit into some of the crawl spaces. icon_biggrin.gif

bkelly1 wrote:
Ya, I have kinda wondered how all the guys ordering 2x shirts can fit into some of the crawl spaces. ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

Geez Ben, I am not that big.

Heres a pic of the 12 x 12, nice huh.

Originally Posted By: jwilliams4

Now, suppose you had to beat a quick retreat… icon_surprised.gif icon_surprised.gif icon_surprised.gif

Originally Posted By: jpope

I enter 12X12 all the time. That’s a pretty standard size around here. One arm up and one arm down.

Getting out is usually the difficult part. . . ![icon_confused.gif](upload://qv5zppiN69qCk2Y6JzaFYhrff8S.gif)

Originally Posted By: hspinnler

Wow, you guys are brave. Reminds me of that time I went spelunking and did the “pancake squeeze” section.

Originally Posted By: dbush

I use the can I safely get the hell out of there quickly when I accidentally put my hand on the snake in the crawl with me or when another brown reclus drops onto my shirt rule.

dbush wrote:
I use the can I safely get the hell out of there quickly when I accidentally put my hand on the snake in the crawl with me or when another brown reclus drops onto my shirt rule.

Dave no Black Widow rule? ![icon_smile.gif](upload://b6iczyK1ETUUqRUc4PAkX83GF2O.gif)

I would do a 12"x12" form the scuttle with a light.

Jeff, I agree, I feel more like an acrobat then a home inspector…BUT, I never regret it, how painful and scary it is. Hey its a great YOGA program, I’d like to see THEM twist there way into THAT.

Originally Posted By: pdickerson

The tightest crawlspace I have yet entered was a house my folks were buying. I had to exhale all of the air out of my lungs in order to sqeeze through. It looked about 8" high.

Originally Posted By: rbennett

Wish we could re work a kids toy with a TV camera that could find its way out of a crawlspace.

I have seen all types of ideas but not one the is quit right yet. I have found that the zoom on my camera and then enlarge the pix on the computer for evaluation has found some problems that I was unable to spot in the field.

Right now the camera is the best tool I have got. I also carry something to craw on - old carpet etc. -- I am paid to inspect so down and under I go.

I am very carful about staying safe

rlb

Originally Posted By: mboyett

Originally Posted By: dvalley

What the heck is a “Crawl Space”?

I'll stick with the basement inspections, Thank you.

Honestly, I probably see three or four a year, if that. I'll stay right here on the East coast. My low crawling days were in the military.

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

Originally Posted By: Jay Moge

I’m with Jeff, if i can fit in it, i’m going to get in it. it’s one thing that seperates my skinny a$% from the other retired and somewhat physicly relaxed inspectors in my area… icon_cool.gif