How many layers of roofing?

Originally Posted By: dlabrake
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

When inspecting a home with wood shingles and 2 layers of asphalt/composition shingles over that, is this a roof with 2 layers of roofing or 3. Some argue that in fact the wood shingles become the defacto sheathing component and there are only 2 layers of roofing material. As we all know, 3 layers of roofing is not allowed, so if we call it 3 layers, the roof has to be stripped, even though the current shingles may be brand new. Seems that both descriptions might work, but which one is accurate. Any roofers out there?

Originally Posted By: jedwards

Not a roofer, but I’m not buying the “wood becomes the de facto sheathing” bit. Three layers of any roofing material plus the “real” sheathing is an awful lot of weight for any typical residential rafter system, IMHO.

John Edwards

Assurance South, LLC home page

Pre-Paid Legal Services

Originally Posted By: dkeough

In Florida they allow 2 roofs. There is a section in the roofing code that will allow another roof as long as an engineer can state that the trusses are built to hold the weight that would come with 3 roofs.

In regards to the wood shingles, that is one roof along with the 2 shingle roofs make 3.

Originally Posted By: dbush

Dan, that is 3 layers of roofing. Anything above the sheathing counts as a layer.

Dave Bush

MAB Member

"LIFE'S TOUGH, WEAR A HELMET"

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

hi to all,

I am with John & Dave on this one, normally the shakes are on a substrait and the shakes are therefore layer # 1, if a shigle is over that is has to be layer # 2, if a second shingle course is applied I would have to say that makes 3 and a tear of is in order.

regards

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI Education Committee
e-mail : education@nachi.org
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

I called out a roof a while back with three layers of composition shingles. The seller was an absentee owner from New Jersey. He said they allow three up there. Naturally he was told to go pound sand.

Anybody up in that area that can verify that? Just curious. ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

Originally Posted By: dlabrake

These are shingles not shakes. They are not on any substrate, but on 1x4 purlins.

Originally Posted By: jonofrey

Blaine,

Pound sand? I think I've done that!

--
Inspection Nirvana!

We're NACHI. Get over it.

Originally Posted By: jhagarty

Dan:

That is 2 layers over the Original roof. Acceptable in this area.

--
Joseph Hagarty

HouseMaster / Main Line, PA
joseph.hagarty@housemaster.com
www.householdinspector.com

Phone: 610-399-9864
Fax : 610-399-9865

HouseMaster. Home inspections. Done right.

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

John,

I've been told to...many times. ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

Originally Posted By: roconnor

The IRC limits the number of layers of roofing to two layers (R907.3) and a maximum total weight (dead load) of 15 psf (R301.2.2.4). In high snow/wind load areas, I would list anything more than two layers as a “concern” … icon_wink.gif

Robert O’Connor, PE

Eagle Engineering ?

Eagle Eye Inspections ?

NACHI Education Committee

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong

Originally Posted By: Guest

They’re wood shingles over purlins with two layers of composition on top.

Number one, that roof has got to be butt ugly. Number two, what the heck did they nail the composition shingles to. Nailing through a wood shingle won’t hold it all down. Nailing through the wood shingle then an inch of air into the sheathing is going to deflect the wood shingle, create tension on the nail and it’s all going to lift off anyway. It’s bad workmanship. Period

Originally Posted By: dfrend

I’d have to agree with Chad on this. And it must cause ripples when the water comes down the slope.

Daniel R Frend

www.nachifoundation.org

The Home Inspector Store

www.homeinspectorstore.com

Originally Posted By: khamilton

Also, I would think that all the nails from the two layers of comp shingles would have split the he$$ out of the wood shakes!

Kip

Originally Posted By: jpeck

Down here, as David said, it’s two INCLUDING the original roof. Unless an engineer wants to hang his hat on it, but I suspect that will be very unlikely.

Jerry Peck

South Florida