How to determine the age of the electric panel

I’m about to perform my first 4 point inspection & was curious how to best determine the age of the electric panel and the year last updated, if no public records are available. Thanks in advance!

"I’m about to perform my first 4 point inspection & was curious how to best determine the age of the electric panel and the year last updated, if no public records are available. Thanks in advance! "

If it was replaced/updated without a permit, then it’s considered unsafe structure per local ordinance and state statute. Example: City of Boca Raton Sec. 19-235.-Unsafe buildings or structures.

ARTICLE VII. - UNSAFE STRUCTURES AND EQUIPMENT

<li class=“chunk ng-scope” id=“c_VOII_CH19BURE_ARTVIIUNSTEQ_S19-235UNBUSY” data-nodetype="" data-mcc-emit-dom-finished-updating=“CONTENTDOMLOADED” data-ng-repeat=“chunk in codesContent.content.chunks” data-nodedepth=“3”> Sec. 19-235. - Unsafe buildings or systems.

All buildings, structures, electrical, gas, mechanical or plumbing systems or portions               thereof which are unsafe, unsanitary, or do not provide adequate egress, or which               constitute a fire hazard, or are otherwise dangerous to human life, or which in relation               to existing use, constitute a hazard to safety or health, are considered unsafe buildings               or service systems. All such unsafe buildings, structures or service systems are hereby               declared illegal and shall be ordered by the building official to be abated by the               owner through repair and rehabilitation or by demolition in accordance with the this               article. The extent of repairs shall be determined by the building official.                                           

(Ord. No. 5259, § 2, 11-13-13)

Way to go Robert. His first 4pt, and you would have him condemn the home for not getting permits…:shock:

Then it will be original.

There are a few options there, it doesn’t have to be condemning the structure. But just for good measure, so we all understand what we are talking about: http://www.nfpa.org/research/reports-and-statistics/fire-causes/electrical

**Electrical fires
**The most inclusive and direct interpretation of “electrical fire” is a fire involving some type of electrical failure or malfunction. Any equipment powered by electricity can have such a failure.

In 2011, an estimated 47,700 home structure fires reported to U.S. fire departments involved some type of electrical failure or malfunction as a factor contributing to ignition. These fires resulted in 418 civilian deaths, 1,570 civilian injuries, and $1.4 billion in direct property damage. In 2007-2011, home electrical fires represented 13% of total home structure fires, 18% of associated civilian deaths, 11% of associated civilian injuries, and 20% of associated direct property damage.

Original what? The panel has been replaced, the original equipment isn’t even there!

How do you know that? The OP certainly didn’t say that.

The panel could be original if no record of replacement is found, and it “appears to be” the same age as the home.

This by far has got to be the silliest post yet Robert. Where exactly does it say in your post that a panel installed without a permit is considered unsafe??
Furthermore you as a licensed home inspector have no grounds to deem any structure unsafe. Are you a building official or licensed electrician??? No, and deeming the structure unsafe just crossed way over into someone else’s license.

The panel is either installed correctly or its not. Since you are evaluating it, and should be trained to know this, then you should be able to assess the installation and recommend corrections if it looks unsafe to you.

Oh wait, here’s one for you. Chew on this…
I was reviewing engineering and NOA paperwork for a reliabilt door that can be purchased at lowes. Plain ole steel wind rated door.

In the list of materials it calls for “quickset knobs and locks”. The doors were tested using these specific knobs and hardware.
SO according to Robert, unless the door is installed to the NOA, then its not installed correctly and not only is the door a failure but the structure is not built to code standards. So you would have to mark D for question 1 on the form.

Are you checking the doors for the correct knobs and locks???

Do you remove the screw in each door hinge to make sure it penetrates the door framing at least 1.5 inches??

Best of all do you remove the interior trim to ensure the wood shims used are no more than a 1/4 of an inch gap between the door frame and the rough opening? The paper says 1/4 max shim. That’s it.

So unless you are tearing the trim off these houses, then you are missing a major structural defect in regards to door installation. If the gap exceeds 1/4 inch according to the paperwork then the door is installed wrong!!!:stuck_out_tongue:

To answer your question Jeff
You may or may not be able to determine this. Some may have a date on the panel itself.
Depending on your location, a permit may not have been required when it was installed.
You would either have to put could not determine or an estimated date. Some panels could be looked up depending on make and model, or if other significant remodeling.
After you have stared at a few thousand you can generally estimate an accurate age by make, style and design. You can usually tell if the panel is original or not in most cases.
Sometimes you can also ask the seller. Even without a permit, some people keep all paperwork.

Always entertaining Mr Fogarty, should I assume you will not be texting me pictures anymore asking “what’s this?”.

It’s what I would do, you can do whatever you like…and I wish you would.

Oh, bty, in case you have any more questions: http://www.amazon.com/2010-Florida-Building-Code/dp/1609831845

It’s no wonder the self appointed guru can’t do insurance inspections

You claim to be the authority on windows, why not go to the source. :smiley:
That’s nice I have one of those. :smiley: As always I appreciate your help. I think your a smart guy, just not with this one post.
You sound a little butt hurt Robert? :stuck_out_tongue: No holding hands at the next meeting??

Only because you set the bar so low :wink:

Read the post again, and read the cite again. Read it fully and more importantly understand the context of what it’s saying past the first sentence.

Why not…I’ve been holding your hand all this time anyway :slight_smile: