Originally Posted By: Dan Spy
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Is there any way to tell the age of a electrical panel? (it has been changed to breakers)

there are no stamps or stickers or anything that i see to give me an idea

of age.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Originally Posted By: jpope

Pictures?

Jeff Pope

JPI Home Inspection Service

“At JPI, we’ll help you look better”

(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

Hi to all,

Dan, as far as I'm aware there is no standard reference work that identifies the age of service panels, I wish there were, as I get asked a lot about ages of electrical components.

I guess figuring it out is based on experience and a process of deduction, as Jeff said if you can post pitcures we stand a better chance of helping you.

Regards

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI Education Committee
e-mail : education@nachi.org
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"

I have been told to pull a breaker and take it to a electrician and he would be able to give a window of age by type of breaker and serial numbers on it.

what do you think? would that be a reliable guesstimation?

i have to go back in a couple days i will try for a pic. The hard part will be trying to figure out how to upload it to the site.

Originally Posted By: Greg Fretwell

Dan, I doubt taking a breaker to an electrician is much of a test. There really isn’t much on a breaker to “age” it other than some minor style changes. That still may not indicate when it was installed. These things can sit around for years.

There should be a permit on file for any service upgrade or panel swap. The lack of a permit may be more significant than the age of the parts.

Of course some building departments are better than others about maintaining their paperworek but if you regularly work in that area you will soon find out if you look at public records on every inspection.

Originally Posted By: dbowers

Just out of curiosity - why do you care how old an electrical panel is. Its not like a wood shake roof that at 25 years old should be worn out???

Because a friend asked for my help

Originally Posted By: dbowers

Same question - why would they need the age of it??