How to Inspect Private Drinking Water Wells

At a minimum, check your well every spring to make sure there are no mechanical problems; test it once each year for total coliform bacteria, nitrates, total dissolved solids, and pH levels. If you suspect other contaminants, you should test for those as well. However, spend time identifying potential problems as these tests can be expensive.

How to Inspect Private Drinking Water Wells Course
Inspection and Writing Assignment

Private Well for Domestic Water Supply

System is supplied by a drilled well with a 6" PVC casing. A 40/60 pressure switch is installed with two tandem pressure tanks supplying the domestic system. Contacts are clean, pressure gauge working properly at time of inspection. Amperage suggests pump in good condition at time of inspection. Output at spigot and fixtures good with consistent readings throughout a two hour test period. All appropriate electrical components present at time of inspection.

The article chosen for Research Exercise of the How to Inspect Private Drinking Water Wells Course was titled How to Write a Mission Statement for Your Inspection Company by Nick Gromicko and Kate Terasenko.

Ive read and been part of developing many mission statements for a variety of entities, from government, non-profit and private. This means Ive seen and created a few. Throughout the process or researching, editing, or creating, it always struck me how mundane most mission statements were. This left me with the feeling that there was no real value in having such an instrument.

This article covered the subject in detail while being concise (without going into needless detail that would detract from the learning opportunity offered.) It lays out what a good mission statement should contain while offering explanations on how to accomplish writing your own mission statement tailored to your company.

I especially liked how it left me with the understanding that a mission statement should not be a boilerplate blurb or paragraph. A successful (or useful) mission statement should be personal, about you and your company after all, you are your company. So, ultimately, I had a light bulb moment after reading and considering this article.

Hard water: identifying hard water Testing is the best way to determine hard water, There are simple signals which show the negative effects on the home. Mineral rings at shower heads, faucets and tank bowls. Soap curds and scum in wash basins and tubs. Poor performance of water using appliances, dishwasher, washing machines. Limescale will cause the water lines to clog reducing water flow.

Well head location has a Liquid propane fuel tank within 20 feet of the well which is not recommended. the grade around the well is flat or slightly negative pitched to the well. The seasonal leaf debris should be removed as part of lawn maintence program.

Attached is a photo of a well cap. Note the grading around the well is close to level. Ideally, the ground should be slopping away from the well cap in all directions. However, this is still acceptable. If the grading was towards the well, it would be advised to regrade the area.

I read an article on Private Water Wells. I learned the distance that the well must be from potential sources of contamination. Living in Iowa, the notes about farm related facilities is important to keep in mind while doing a well inspection.

Water on the floor around the water tank and equipment looks like more than we’d find from simple condensation drips - we suspect there’s a leak somewhere or a basement water entry problem that needs to be corrected.
NO RELIEF VALVE is visible in this photo - one should have been installed and may be missing. This is a safety defect and in some jurisdictions a plumbing code violation.

Three Photos Every Inspector Should Include at the End of the Report.
While this is not related to well inspections, I did find the idea of taking 3 photos of the water meter a great idea to show that there are not any hidden leaks in the house.

I chose this image and I have saved it to keep for remembering the proper distances to remember for wells in my area. I thought it was interesting that even dog kennels are a number in the image. Never thought about it but it makes sense.

I learned a lot about the filtration systems I wouldve never thought about in a Home water system. I never thought about how complex it would need to be due to the fact a well would not get the same services a public system would.

This is a dug well. Dug wells need to be lined with concrete or bricks and mortar. The upper 10-12 feet of the concrete need to have all the joints sealed as to not allow contaminates to enter the well. It is important to make sure that these wells are covered and protected on the surface. This is for the safety of people and animals. Keeping it sealed and protected also helps prevent contamination.

The well and water system diagram shows a properly installed well. In a drilled well the pump is generally at the bottom of the well. A water line runs below the frost line into the building where there there is a pressure tank. This tank prevents the pump from over cycling. The pressure switch typically cycles on at 40 psi and off at 60 psi.

I chose a picture of the well casing above the ground. From the picture and this course I learned how important it is to have the top of the casing at least 1 foot above the ground level, and having the grade slope away from the casing. Both of these items help prevent well water contamination.

The automatic reverse system not functioning properly.The photoelectric eyes are not properly aligned at the opening of the overhead door.The pressure sensor was not properly calibrated. Garage doors should automatically reverse if it comes in contact with an object. Have repaired by a licensed technician to reduce the risk of injury.

Electrical panel inspections can be dangerous and caution should be used when working around open panels.Make sure the area around the panel is clear of obstacles prior to accessing the panel, a clear path is needed in case of emergency.

Some PVC water lines found. PVC is not rated to withstand the thermal expansion stress caused by hot water and could burst under pressure. This should be addressed and corrected to prevent any further issues from occurring. Contact licensed plumber for evaluation and replacement.

The GFCI protected electrical outlet had power however, it did not proper trip when tested and has likely reached the end of its service life.This poses a possible safety hazard and should be repaired/replaced to help avoid risk of shock or any possible issues from occurring. Contact a licensed electrician for repair/replacement.

When taking water samples for a private well water test or advising clients on the proper procedures, it is very important to use containers provided or approved by the lab. Improper sample containers can introduce foreign contaminants into the water that could provide false results and cause clients or property owners unnecessary expense or worry.

Although difficult to confirm during a visual inspection of an older home, it is advisable to discuss with clients the installation of a back-flow preventer, if not already installed, at any point in the future when they are upgrading or replacing the home’s main drain. This could save the client damage and repair expense if there is a back-up of the municipal or local drain system.