How to Refer To Multiple Bed Rooms?

If a home has more than one sleeping room, how do you refer to them? Obviously the Master can be labeled as such, but what about other bedrooms? Do you use “Bedroom 1, 2, etc” or “Middle”, etc?

1 Like

As you stated the master is easy. I tend to describe bedrooms as north, south, south west etc.

3 Likes

Depends on the layout of the house and how one wishes to explain something. I have used 1st, 2nd, East, West, front, back, all of it.

4 Likes

I often inspect homes with six or more bedrooms. I will refer to them as first floor Northwest. Second-floor south east and so on.

On homes with less bedrooms I may say second floor right rear. I may say first floor front left.

6 Likes

I stopped using cardinal directions except for commercial inspections. Though cardinal directions are most accurate, some clients do not know north from south at any given time.

I describe front facing rear, (mostly). I might even say, rear deck left corner (front facing rear) for example.

From there, master bedroom and guest bedrooms. Example: Top floor front left bedroom ceiling had visible moisture stains blah blah blah.

8 Likes

As do I. It’s literally impossible to not know NSEW in Anchorage Alaska. Mountains overlook the East of Anchorage.

3 Likes

Front, Rear, Left, Right, Upper, Lower - but more often than not as of recently, I simply include photographs with a perspective that makes identifying the location simple.

3 Likes

Good nugget of info there Brian. I only identify bedrooms if there are issues related. This is a good way to identify, especially that it gives the client a visual perspective.

3 Likes

Agreed, I’ll also include videos as well of defects that benefit from one, along with a verbal explanation. I always pair that with a photograph as well though, in case they plan to print it, or download a PDF for later.

I refer to them as Master, bdrm 2, 3 ,4 etc -or- lower bdrm 1, 2 etc. I explain it as if viewing a floor plan, master is bdrm 1 then numbers go up as you move away from there.

I agree with, Martin.

3 Likes

In my premium reports or when buyers are purchasing without having seen the home in-person, I define all room names in a virtual tour near the top of the report. So later, when a room is referenced, anyone will know exactly where a room is located.

Here is an example from Friday:

As an added benefit, I have all my CYA pictures from every room.

3 Likes

If you don’t want to open the report, here is a direct link to the tour. Every room is given a name.

5 Likes

That is nice, Bert!

4 Likes

Excellent report Bert!

3 Likes

Yes. During inspection whenever I enter a bathroom, bedroom, etc. I take a picture of the entrance while holding up 1, 2, 3, or more fingers to help identify while writing the report.

2 Likes

I use front, back, center, upstairs back, upstairs center, upstairs right, upstairs left, downstairs rear or back. Depends on the layout as one of my brothers pointed out as some people do not know north from west as the other brother point out. Find your own groove, it will work. I just use generic terms for each room in the program but label as such in the pictures to point them in the right direction. Hope this helps as as it works well for me. Find what works best for you and your clients.

3 Likes

I just number them and include pictures that show each room.

2 Likes

I don’t breakout each bedroom, living room, dining room, etc. Everything is just interior. If I have a comment, I will specify where it is located in the interior… “window was painted shut in the right rear bedroom” with a pic

4 Likes

The nomenclature I use when facing the house from the front is…

1st floor left, 2nd floor right, 1st floor master, 1st floor rear, 2nd floor front, you get the picture.

Remember, not all the worlds is a stage and you won’t go wrong.

1 Like