Bedroom Yes or No ?

(Sam Morris, LC #341 CMI) #1

Inspecting a house today with a contractor friend of the buyers. I told him that the basement room that he referred to as a bedroom was NOT a bedroom that I was listing it as an office. He wanted to know why and I told him the room has the secondary egress needed (main door & exterior door) but, lacked the natural sunlight because it had no window (room had outlets, lighting, heat, closet and 2 doors-one going to outside-No smoke detector) Who is correct ?

(Chuck Evans, CMI TREC 7657) #2

He is. You’re not there to argue over room designations.

If he says it’s a bedroom, inspect it as a bedroom and list the ways it’s deficient as a bedroom.

(Marc A. Goldenberg, Inspector Lic # HI1365 Mold Assessor Lic #1) #3

What Chuck said.
As long as there’s a closet it can be considered a bedroom.

(Sam Morris, LC #341 CMI) #4

I can do that, either way works (basement bedroom -no window (no natural lighting or ventilation present)

(Mark A. Timpani, CMI) #5

Let the AHJ decide what it is. Also I am in Tucson and last year when I called our AHJ about rooms with out closets or the bedroom /closet debate, they said it is just an old wives tale. They said it makes sense to have a closet and Realtors keep the myth going, but if someone wants to sleep in a room without a closet - they can.

(Bradley K. Toye, CMI) #6

Agreed. There is nothing in the current code that says a bedroom requires a closet. More than 70sf, natural light, fresh air ventilation, and emergency escape means are required.

(Larry Kage, CMI) #7

Correct…:slight_smile:

(John Olson) #8

In Wisconsin you can borrow light from somewhere else with a window in the door sometimes they allow for louvers in the door. We need 8% of natural light for bedrooms.

(Jeffrey R. Jonas) #9

In days gone by… closets were a luxury, as they were deemed ‘wasted space’ when constructing a farmhome with local lumber.

Ever hear of, or see, an “Armoire”?

Habersham Edwardian Armoire | HA177470

(Larry Kage, CMI) #10

Very nice. :mrgreen: :slight_smile:

(Roy Lewis, CMI - North Florida Inspector) #11

“402.1 Habitable spaces.
Every habitable space shall have not less than one window of approved size facing directly to the outdoors or to a court. The minimum total glazed area for every habitable space shall be 8 percent of the floor area of such room.”

(Michael Larson, WI Lic. # 1672-106) #12

Baloney.

Show me where it says a closet is required.

Unless you are sizing a septic system its a non issue except for tradition and marketing.

YMMV

P.S. yes I note the lack of a closet with legal egress that could be used as a bedroom.

(Kevin D. Brown, MD License #32990) #13

I agree with Chuck. If they want to call it a bed room. Let them. Inspect it as one.

(William B. Ogletree, TREC License #22530) #14

To further muddy the waters, I will bring up the local Board of Realtors (MLS) rules regarding listing a room as a “bedroom”. According to the DFW board, to be listed as a bedroom, a room must have a closet and a window that opens to the exterior. It is assumed it will have a door.

This is the standard that I have become accustomed to and apply when deciding whether a room is a “sleeping room”. I’m not inclined to research the listing or to try to decide which room they are calling a bedroom.

(Joseph Jacono) #15

We did a few homes in NJ at the beach, bedrooms did not get closets built in. Eliminating closets from the beginning design stage allowed for greater floor space within a room. Plane from the very beginning was to put armoire in each bedroom.