How would you report on...

Well, I really just wanted to discuss the carriage bolts and the brick veneer. Those other things aren’t all that interesting.(meaning they can’t start an argument) :slight_smile:

I did another one today with bolts every 12-14" but no washers and he buried every bolt. It’s a big crack waiting to happen.

Yep as my picture is clearly illustrating.

No bolts** “To or Through”** brick, masonry, or stone.

You do understand why, right?

The veneer does not allow for a tight connection between the ledger and the band joist. Brick veneer would have to be pulled tight against the sheathing to make a tight connection which of course would damage the veneer.

I have heard of shimming behind the veneer during installation to allow for a deck connection through to the band joist, but I have never seen it in practice nor do I know if it is a legitimate method.

Kevin, the post footings is another problem in the photos you posted, correct?

And it appears to be tipping back toward the house.

4’X4’ posts instead of 6’x6’ posts on floating footings not below the frost line.
#2 AND #3

The reason why not is because the bolt loses it’s shear strength and may not connect to rim snug enough.

But if done correctly it can work, correct size, number, of fasteners, washers and epoxy. It’s best to go through the mortar joint, not the brick. Many AHJ allow it around here.

I agree, free standing is the best. Actually a combination is best.

Kevin, no posts to secure the railing.

If you think a combination is best! How can that be called free standing?

“better”

#4 no corner posts and center post every 6 feet.

Combination is not a dogmatic term, it would only be a connection to prevent lateral thrust.(which I am not personally against) :wink:

Combination is not a dogmatic term, it would only be a connection to prevent lateral thrust.(which I am not personally against) :wink:

Never heard of an attached free standing. The only thing I have seen is attached to the post not the house. Not saying it does not exist but it is not a practice here and not found in the 2009 Deck construction guide.

It’s on page 15.

http://www.awc.org/Publications/DCA/DCA6/DCA6-09.pdf

And I have also never seen it here either.

Well eat my shorts I would not even recommend that but there it is. It would not work here and personally can’t see how it could work anywhere.

There are more things wrong!

Try this.

http://www.galco.com/buy/Techspray/1672-10S

I used to use it back in the day. :wink:

All it is is an anchoring system to prevent the deck from moving laterally. Combination isn’t the best term to describe it as the deck is really just freestanding braced to the house.

All decks should be free standing.

They cause way to much damage to structures.