HVAC air handler with no enclosure?

It’s a downdraft, the fan is below. The homeowner or someone incorrectly placed the filter with the metal screen in reverse position. The better place for the filter would’ve been at the door’s grille.

4 Likes

Read it anyway you and the regulars here want, Brian, accusing the victims of you regulars’ nastiness of being nasty. In fact, in all my years I’ve never come across such nasty creeps like the regulars on this forum. You’re pathetic, Brian, taking construction trivia so personally because it’s, rather obviouslt, the only measure of you manhood.

Obviously. I am sure everyone will agree with you since I took nothing personally.

I too am a veteran and I will say sincerely thank you for your service, though I do not know how that became relevant.

At this point, based on my research and other information provided, my conclusion is @dandersen has it right. Thanks Dan. If I see this “in the wild” I will be sure to bring a model number along.

2 Likes

Despite the heated rhetoric on these boards sometimes. I want to thank both of you for your service to our country.

Daniel, what does f.o. stand for if I may ask?

2 Likes

Oh boy! I was a CID Special Agent / Vietnam Vet as well. And what does this have to do with a downdraft furnace?

Seeing you brought up your credentials, I’m an HVAC System Design Engineer. That’s how I ended up being a HI. Realtors were sick and tired of the crap like your slinging here…

3 Likes

Yea, I’m not arguing either. Just explaining why I’m right…

2 Likes

Seems to appear the unit is sitting out in the middle of nowhere. There are metal shelves against the unit in the OP Pic.

Putting the filters on the A-Coil is never a good practice. There are numerous problems that occurs. I can’t stand these things, but that is how they do it.

2 Likes

Go ahead, accuse me for responding to your nastiness as if I were the instigator. Nothing will change the fact that the regulars on the Nachi forum are a nasty bunch of carping know-it-alls who delight in trashing others who’re merely looking to participate or need help.

You’re pathetic, you really are, the whole bunch of you who gang up on anyone who challenges your precious identity that’s no deeper than construction trivia. I also find it hard to believe that any man who served in the military could lose so much of his manhood as to stoop to your sort of effeminate carping.

HVAC is a very complex system to understand if your not properly trained in the field.
I do not haunt this place to ambush anyone. Yes, I have been here a good while and I’m well known for being blunt, to the point and never comment on anything I am not sure of and even look things up just to be sure (I am becoming a forgetful old fart).

When HI’s chime in with 100% incorrect information I try to set things straight so the guys on the sideline don’t take it as gospel and get burnt on their inspections with the wrong information.
In this case, it is obvious to me what this unit is (even with a lousy pic). The OP is asking if he should call it out, which would make him look bad as well as being WRONG.

You chime in with:

[quote=“dsmith32, post:2, topic:200335”]
Matt, the filters are on the wrong side of the coil, making it an improper installation
[/quote] It’s downdraft.

making it an improper installation justifying the recommendation that quotes should be obtained for proper installation before closing.
[/quote] That is the way it was manufactured.

Also, the flex duct running into the blower compartment without a plenum can’t be right.
[/quote] Why can’t it be right? Is it wrong, or do you just think it looks wrong?

None of which is correct.

If you can’t participate in a conversation without all the crap you posted on this thread, you might need to find a new home to hang out at. Your skin is way too thin for this business. You think I’m giving the OP an ass burn recommending he should take more HVAC classes (free at NACHI) which is the only solution to his problem, it’s nothing compared to the ass burn he’ll get from client, agent, and HVAC contractor if he follows your advise.

3 Likes

I think we all should just take pics of our Units to compare . It would help cut out the arguing…. I’m talking ac units

2 Likes

I’m all about learning and continuing to learn…

I have taken the interNACHI HVAC course…but its been a couple of years.

I dont remember this specific type of install in the course material?

Have they updated the course since I took it and included this sort of system in the course work?

I have actually looked for any HVAC course that includes this type of install

but havent found any

if you know of any, then I’ll be happy to follow your advice on taking more HVAC courses…

thanks

If you understand the HVAC concepts in the training you can derive what it is your looking at. You can’t learn every unit out there.

This specific unit is basically only found in manufactured homes.
Why a downdraft? Because that is where the duct system is located (under the home). And because of limited space to install it.

Your only job as a HI is to determine if it responds to operating controls. If you start talking about anything more, you best be right because HI Standards says you can talk about anything you want “if your qualified, certified or licensed as required in your jurisdiction”.

2 Likes

I do understand HVAC concepts and am familiar with downdraft, etc…

I think the confusion was having inspected lots of mobile homes, but having never seen one with no enclosure like this

which I why I was asking on here…

There was obviously some past tension going on with both sides and it became a pissing match…but like most things, the truth is somewhere in the middle :wink:

Telling me to take more HVAC courses…at least with regards to this specific thing that I posted about…isnt really productive. Again…with regards to this specific HVAC set up.

As you yourself admitted…none of the HVAC courses really cover this special circumstance.

Regardless…I’m not upset in any way and really appreciate this forum and the fact that we can put so many heads together to come up with answers to questions…but I do think that perhaps you both were a little right :wink:

If you were not upset to some point, you would not be posting this…

No, there was no past tension with Smith from my side. I have no clue who he is (other than someone the acts like a jerk sometimes). Probable just too much Cool-Aid or Connecticut Politics (I’m from New England so yes I know about it).

None of my posts were concerning you.
I told you to take more courses. That is the only option. Well you have a background in HVAC but that does not mean you can’t use more learning. Personally there is not much I really want to know about a manufactured home, but I have been there. Maybe you need training to better find stuff on the internet? I posted exactly what you were looking for (no one else was close). As a matter of fact, I just spent 6 hours taking two on line certification courses today to just walk into a Toyota Plant in Jackson, Tn. to do some roof thermal imaging no one can fix. I had to pay $95, not free stuff at NACHI. I don’t care what you or I have in our resume, you can never get enough training.

There is no “in the middle of the road” on what I told you. Smith was not even a little right, or I wouldn’t have wasted my time to keep you out of trouble he is setting you up for.

If you can’t figure out HVAC things, your more than welcome, as many here do all the time, Call Me! I only waste my time on those who want to learn something, not battle with something I said. If anyone does not agree with me, I don’t care one way or the other so long as it only effects me, not other members.

As you will always see in my posts, I will always post supporting documentation of the facts I present. I had no problem finding the exact picture of what you were dealing with. I also came across several documents and install manuals discussing everything about it. I didn’t post, because people don’t like to read very long.

3 Likes

As the AHRI textbook says, refrigerators run maintenance free for twenty years for one reason, and that’s because they don’t have gauges put on them . . . by people like our resident former a/c repairman Anderson. Go back to cleaning coils or get lost.

Now look how easy that was…

1 Like