HVAC register in bedroom closet?

While inspecting a home today, I found a bedroom above a garage with no HVAC registers in the bedroom itself, but in the closet only? Is this an acceptable standard or is this a safety issue? What is your recommendation, and how would you report it?

No heating outlet in the bedroom . recommend correction each room is supposed to have heat . see them in a walk in all the time . why would it be safety issue ? Was it open frame in the garage area?

Thanks Wayne! Yes, I questioned the fact that it was in the closet and not in the room itself, and the garage area is not open, but finished. The safety part would be not getting enough air circulation along with heating/cooling in the bedroom when needed because the source was in the closet.

I did recommended the client seek a qualified HVAC contractor.

Bill
Good job on recommending a heating contractor review.
Just as important, was there a return air in this bedroom or in the hall just outside?

Pretty much a clue that the clueless participated in a reno, and that the inspector needs to look for more bonehead wiring, plumbing and HVAC.

Scott,

Yes, there was a return vent in the room.

You are correct that each bedroom is supposed to have heat but it can be from a direct or indirect source, the source does not need to be in the room. If the heating is done indirectly (from a source outside of the room), the source that provides heat to the room in question must be able to maintain the minimum allowable temperature which is generally 68 degrees (some jurisdictions have amendments in their admin plan that allows for a different minimum temperature)

I’m assuming the closet has doors. Would you honestly think the room is going to be adequately conditioned with the doors closed? What would you say if this were in a home you were buying?

What, like oxygen being circulated for breathing -lol? I still don’t get what you’re saying in regards to being a safety issue? Regardless, it’s simply a matter of not heating or cooling/conditioning the room properly.

Actually… I have 3 bedrooms on my second floor heated by a heating source in a secondary room and nothing in any bedroom. Two of the bedrooms were part of an addition I built 3 years ago, Code had ZERO issue with it and I received the Certificate of occupancy without issue. I have no issue with the set-up and I live in Maine.

My point is that the OP is being told a heat source needs to be in a bedroom which is not true and he doesn’t know one way or another if the system is adequate. I don’t think its good advice to recommend an HVAC tech install heating components when they are 1. not required and 2. you are unsure if they are needed to maintain an adequate temperature. Just my opinion.

I would report that it is good building practices to have a heat source in every room of the home (regardless of code).

If I were conducting the inspection at a time of year when the heat is on and it was obvious by the room temperature that the indirect heat was not supplying the room with an acceptable amount of heat I would recommend correction, if I could not determine if the heating source was adequate I would make the buyers aware that it may be an issue. All I am saying is if an inspector can’t be sure there is an issue he/she shouldn’t be recommending repair.