hydro-massage tub

New construction. Hydro-massage tub installed in the master batroom. GFCI protected (breaker in panel box). There is no access to the motor or lines without removing the front tiles (They have been caulked shut). I was under the impression that there is supposed to be access to the motor and lines. Does anyone know if there is a code for this.

Without any access, this unit could be leaking and no one would ever know it. Appreciate the comments

I often find the access in an adjacent closet or room. Also just did one on Saturday and the access was cut out inside the base cabinet next to the tub surround.

**IRC E4109.3 Accessibility.
**Hydromassage bathtub electrical equipment shall be accessible without damaging the building structure or building finish.

**NEC 680.73 Accessibility. **Hydromassage bathtub electrical equipment shall be accessible without damaging the building structure or building finish.

CS 9.999423.222 (Common sense code 2006)

Hydro tubs shall be equipped with accessible panels in order that they may be serviced and or repaired without ripping out the tub in order to do so.

I see this in 20% of the Jacuzzi tubs I inspect and write it up as an advisory to my client. Most sellers take the atitude of “if it ain’t broke…” and most buyers don’t care enough to push the issue.

The reality of jacuzzi tubs is that most people don’t use them anymore and most new construction home now have soaking tubs which saves the builder a few bucks. Now we have the issue of a 50 gallon water heater for a large soaking tub…

//Rick

Common Sense Codes will never be adopted here in Pa.

:wink:

Thanks Jeff,

That is exactly what I was looking for.

Tony

(Common sense code 2006) - Common Sense is not so Common

“There is no apparent access to service the hydro-spa motor, which is essential and should be provided. Also, the hydro-spa motor should be bonded and confirmed to have ground fault protection.”

And “Civil Service” is usually neither…:wink: