Hydronic System vs Circulating Boiler

Originally Posted By: jdoherty
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

What is the difference between a hydronic heating system using baseboard convectors (not a hydronic radiant floor heat system, I understand that difference) and a circulating boiler using baseboard convectors? More importantly, how do you tell such systems apart?

What type of system would this be: LP boiler with separate 40 gal storage tank, finned copper baseboard convectors in all rooms, two zones (two separate thermostats and solenoids on system).

Originally Posted By: jhagarty

http://www.warmair.com/html/boilers.htm

http://www.warmair.com/html/hydronic_heating_systems.htm

--
Joseph Hagarty

HouseMaster / Main Line, PA
joseph.hagarty@housemaster.com
www.householdinspector.com

Phone: 610-399-9864
Fax : 610-399-9865

HouseMaster. Home inspections. Done right.

Thank you Joseph, that’s a great website.

I'm still a little confused though. Maybe I haven't seen enough boilers but wouldn't a boiler encased in a pretty sheet metal case look just like a hydronic boiler (like the one in the drawing on the hydronic link?)

Do circulating boiler systems have a separate water storage or is it part of the boiler? The unit I'm concerned with has two separate units, a boiler and a storage tank, (they both say boiler on the data plates, but only one has gas heaters under it). Maybe I should upload a picture.

Is the Storage Tank a Domestic Water Heater?

There are units that take a circulating stream from the Boiler to heat the domestic hot water.

--
Joseph Hagarty

Originally Posted By: dvalley

Joel,

Are you referring to a tankless unit that is installed into the boiler system or an indirect system that is set up for the bolier to heat the water and a circulator pump feeds the water storage tank for domestic water.

I've done many boiler inspections, but I'm not quite sure what you are referring to or what answer you are trying to obtain.

You mentioned "hydronic heating with baseboard convectors" and "a circulating boiler using baseboard convectors". A hydronic boiler is a boiler which contains circulator pump(s) and utilizes baseboards and radiators. A steam boiler heats (boils) water and steam is forced through radiators and does not contain circulating pumps.

Please be more explicit and I'll be able to help you out.

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

Originally Posted By: Lee Hammerstein

The word hydronic refers to a system using water to transfer heat. The extra tank sounds like a domestic water heater tied in to the boiler. A boiler will also have an expansion tank. Newer systems will have an expansion tank of about 5 gallons, older systems may have a considerably larger tank (perhaps 40 gallons) usually mounted as high above the boiler as possible, sometimes in the attic.

You guys are right, the domestic hot water is tied into the system.

David, I guess I'm just trying to find out the explicit difference for future reference. I'm confused as to the what exactly the difference is between a hydronic system and a boiler.

They both have boilers, they both have convectors, they both have a bunch of copper pipes going all over the place. Both can have domestic water tied in. So what, exactly, is the difference?

I'm beginning to think I may be making too much of this, but this is the sort of thing that will bug me until I figure it out.

I forgot to mention before that the system has an expander and it says its for use with hydronic systems. The system manufacturer is Valliant, a European brand that I've not seen before. I was able to find some info on the internet but it doesn't seem to be a popular manufacturer, at least in the US?

I'll go try to upload a picture...

http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/S/System.jpg ]

Okay, hopefully that worked.

Joel:

That appears to be a Hydronic system with Domestic Water Heating added via a circulating stream from the Heater.

That does not appear to be a Boiler.

Hydronic = Water

Boiler = Steam

--
Joseph Hagarty

Ah-hah!

I guess I was getting confused due to some texts referencing hot water boilers and steam boilers. This is maybe just a problem with word connotations? So are hydronic systems and hot water boiler (as opposed to steam boiler) systems the same thing?

I find if people talk to me like I'm four, it's easier on everybody ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

Okay, I was hoping someone would post some more follow ups on this. I don’t feel like this is quite resolve yet. icon_confused.gif

Is a hydronic system with convectors the same thing as a hot water (not steam) boiler with convectors?

If not, what are the differences between the two systems (from an HI's standpoint for reporting)?

I will let this go eventually, promise

Originally Posted By: Kyle Kubs

Joel - Hot water and steam boilers are hydronic heating systems… Hydronics is a description of the system as a whole - The boiler is a part or a hydronic system. The boiler itself is the square box on the left comprised of a gas burner and a heat exchanger. The unit on the right is the water heater - from the picture I cannot see that it is tied into the boiler (indirect hot water heater) It does have a circulating pump but the way that one is hooked up looks like a re-circulator (luxury Item - The water in the pipes is always hot as soon as you turn on the faucet you get hot water) It could have this as an indirect hot water heater or a stand alone water heater. From the pic I can’t see the pipes tied into the boiler. Is that a gas pipe on the lower right corner?

Those that say it cannot be done should stop interupting those of us who are hard at work, doing it…

http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/S/System21.jpg ]

The pump next to the water heater is an auxiliary water pump that the owner told me was installed to boost water pressure to the master bathroom, which sits terraced about five feet above this system.

What to you think?

Originally Posted By: Kyle Kubs

Joel - If that is the case it is an indirect water heater (good system) - The pump on the water heater would only increase pressure if it was taking water from the supply side and pumping it into the demand side, it would also need a low pressure switch to tell it when the faucet is open. I’ve never seen anybody do anything like that before. It is difficult to see in the pic but it appears to be a standard re-circ. set up… Wouldn’t be the first time a homeowner didn’t know what is in his own house… I’ve actually never seen one of that brand of boiler or water heater before here in Jersey. Whats the box on top of the water heater?

Those that say it cannot be done should stop interupting those of us who are hard at work, doing it…

Kyle - Now that you mention it, you’re right about the pump. Owner did say it didn’t seem to work too well…

House does have PLENTY of hot water but it does take a while to reach the master bath, which is farthest from the system.

The box on top of the water heater is a plastic cover for a remote thermometer. There's a threaded adapter on the top of the tank and it has two wires coming out of it, one of which might be a capillary tube. The other goes to an electronic box mounted under the cover. The tube and the output on the box both go to the controls on the boiler.

I did some serious searching on the internet for the manufacturer. It's Vaillant and they're British. They have a US arm, Vaillant Corporation in New Jersey, but there is no website or contact info for the US arm. There's no email for the UK site. I thought about calling the number for the UK headquarters and asking them some questions but decided it wasn't worth the charges.