If you have an InterNACHI inspection textbook you'd like to share with fellow members

… PLEASE DO!

Do you have one or more of InterNACHI’s many inspection textbooks laying around, collecting dust? Maybe offer them to other members on this message board.

These books are expensive and you would be really helping your fellow members if they didn’t have to re-purchase. This message board is the perfect way to share them.

Last year I gave away some of the items I won during the Christmas party at our local NACHI meeting. I plan to do the same this year.

Nick,

I don’t know if I had anything to do with it, concerning the conversation that we had the other day; but that is a great idea. I have been trying to get the collection, for over two years now. I agree “These books are expensive and you would be really helping your fellow members if they didn’t have to re-purchase”.

I would even be willing to pay a reasonable discounted price for slightly used Inspection books, with shipping and handling.

I learned a long time ago that “You never get something for nothing”. I do not believe that is what I am trying to do. I am agreeing with Nick. I realize that it has been a while since I posted, even though I am on the InterNACHI message board everyday reading your posts and learning.

In my current situation … with the economy not being so great in Southwest Virginia, being married and having four teenage children … times get pretty tough for me.

I first became a Home Inspector in April of 1996, way before many of you ever entered this profession. I’ve done my fair share of inspections (residential), when times were good. InterNACHI didn’t exist then - only ASHI and NAHI. Home Inspections was a little different back then, I used the Matrix system.

Many of you who have responded to my very few posts, should know that I have been fascinated with real estate, since I was 4 years old. Starting slowly, at the young age of 8, I had an amazing 10 plus years in remodeling various properties (both residential and commercial). The Home Inspection industry had not been here for very long, but it was something that I had wanted to do.

To make a long story short … In my first marriage, I was like many of you. I had invested thousands and thousands of dollars into my education, memberships, tools, logo and brochure / business cards, and company vehicle. I worked my butt off literally. With all of that work, I made good money, but I never had time for my first wife, except for handing her the money- and the occasional Wham-Bam_Thank you M’am. She ended up taking me for everything and then some. I lost my home, my son, my business, my pride(she took everything, including my will to live).

From there, I went into the United States Army as a Combat Medic (93’Whiskey). I was a good soldier and had given home inspections up to make a career in the Army. I was a soldier, who now had a life again. I was stationed in San Antonio, Texas (Ft. Sam Houston). I went out one night getting drunk with my friends at the RiverWalk and the Alamo. I ended up in a fight and getting jumped, I got beat…within an inch of my life.

I lost my eyesight due to swelling of the brain, was medivaced to Walter Reed hospital, and they had to drill a hole in the back of my head to reduce swelling. I later returned back home to Roanoke, Virginia and had to go through physical therapy for years.

Graduating from college a few years later with my Associates Degree in Business Management, I decided to go back to what I really love (Home Inspections). I want to be the best … so like you, I joined InterNACHI.

I know that each of you have your own story, and hopefully none as rough as mine. I have tried with all of my heart and soul, and current resources, to make my dream come true again. Yes, I am under-capitalized at the current moment, and I am slowly building my business back. Some may say “GIVE IT UP MIKE - YOU ARE NEVER GOING TO GET IT DONE - WALK AWAY NOW - AND LEAVE THE INSPECTION BUSINESS TO THE PRO’S”.

My response: I appreciate the constructive criticism and advice, but with most of my 40 years, being directly related to this industry … I AM NOT GOING ANYWHERE, I AM A VERY PROUD MEMBER OF InterNACHI. It may take me a little longer than others, but quit is not in my narratives or my vocabulary.

My welcome to InterNACHI was not so friendly, but I am here to stay. I would really like to get the complete collection of the Inspectors Library. Thank you for taking time to read this and helping one of your fellow members.

Merry Christmas and Happy Inspecting.

Michael

HERE IS JUST A TASTE OF MY EDUCATION IN HOME INSPECTIONS

Official InterNACHI Education Transcript
for Michael Altizer
Required Courses CE
25 Standards Every Inspector Should Know 5
Attic, Insulation, Ventilation and Interior 14
Customer Service and Communication 4
Deck Inspections 3
How to Inspect for Moisture Intrusion 8
How to Inspect the Exterior 16
How to Perform Residential Electrical Inspections 4
Inspecting Foundation Walls and Piers 3
Inspecting HVAC Systems 12
Introduction to InterNACHI’s Residential SOP 3
Mold Inspection 12
Residential Plumbing Overview 8
Roof Inspection 4
Safe Practices for the Home Inspector 4
Structural Issues for Home Inspectors 4
Wood-Destroying Organism Inspection 12
Future Requirements CE
Commercial Inspection Prerequisite course 8
Green Building 8
How to Inspect Pools and Spas 8
How to Perform Energy Audits 24
Lead Safety for Renovation, Repair and Painting (RRP) 8
Log Home Inspection 8
Radon Measurement Service Provider 16
Optional Courses CE
3C Ladder Safety 1
3C Lead-Safe Work Practices 2
3C Professionalism 4
3C Safety for the Exterior 2
3C Wind & Hail Inspection and Roof Replacement 2
Advanced Mold Inspection Training 12
Advanced Training for Inspecting HVAC Systems 21
Appliance Inspection Course 8
Blower Door Training 3
Building Science and Thermography 5
Calculating Envelope Energy Loss 2
Comfort and Climate for Inspectors 1
Defect Recognition and Report Writing 8
Electrical Inspection Training Video 4
Energy Movement for Inspectors 2
Fundamentals of Inspecting the Exterior 4
How to Inspect Decks (online video course) 1
How to Inspect Manufactured and Mobile Homes 12
How to Inspect Septic Systems 10
How to Perform Wind Mitigation Inspections 16
Indoor Air Quality for Inspectors 1
Infrared Thermography Inspection Training 5
Inspecting Chinese Drywall 5
Inspecting HVAC Energy Efficiency 8
Inspecting Means of Egress 4
Inspecting Portable Fire Extinguishers 1
Inspecting Water Heater Tanks 4
Inspection of Crawlspaces 3
Performing a Home Energy Audit (to BPI Standards) 24
Stucco & EIFS Inspection Training for Inspectors 16
Texas Standards of Practice, Legal and Ethics Update 6
The House as a System 2
The Roof Video Series: General Roof Inspection 2
The Roof Video Series: Inspecting Asphalt Shingle Roofs 8
The Roof Video Series: Inspecting Metal Roofs 2
The Roof Video Series: Inspecting Slate Roofs 3
The Roof Video Series: Inspecting Tile Roofs 2
The Roof Video Series: Inspecting Wood Shingle and Shake Roofs 2
The Roof Video Series: Ten Steps to Performing a Roof Inspection 2
Wind and Hail Property Damage Inspections 4

I would love to get a used copy of the internachi wood destroying insect book… Anyone have one please email me at inspectorjmj@gmail.com … Thank you