Illinois update

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Scott P wrote:
Yesterday's Illinois Home Inspector Advisory Board Meeting passed this:
Pre-licensing classes will be a minimum of 80 hours of classroom instruction plus a minimum of 10 "field inspection events", defined as "An examination and evaluation of all the exterior and interior components of an actual residential real property, available at that time, by a licensed home inspector with at least five years field experience. A maximum of 5 candidates for state licensure will participate for the purpose of learning inspection methodology, techniques, communication and observation skills and describing observed conditions."

Thanks to Scott Patterson

Regards

Gerry

Originally Posted By: jschwartz1

Indentured servitude.

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

Hi Jay,

this tends to be the problem when a licensing boards implement the rules to match their own image.

I much prefer legislation that spells out the rules and regulations rather than law that leaves the final rules to a licensing board.

Regards

Gerry

Originally Posted By: jbushart

Do we have anything more solid than a post from a Mississippi home inspector in Hannigan’s Hooligans’ chat room that an Illinois inspector could actually rely upon?

Originally Posted By: psabados

Quote:
Pre-licensing classes will be a minimum of 80 hours of classroom instruction plus a minimum of 10 "field inspection events", defined as "An examination and evaluation of all the exterior and interior components of an actual residential real property, available at that time, by a licensed home inspector with at least five years field experience

Seems like this should be part of the training program offered by the education providers. Field work performed directly under the control of an instructor. At four hrs per inspection would constitute an additional 40 hrs of field training. Ends up being 3 wks or 120 hrs. Similar to the NY model. Should be workable.

Paul

Originally Posted By: wdecker

Paul;

This has NOT been verified, as of yet. Please keep that in mind.

In any case, we (NACHI Chicago) have assets in place to facilitate any change. I do an average of 6 ride alongs a week.

NACHI is a state approved education provider.

Hope this helps.

Originally Posted By: jwortham

“10 inspection events” doesn’t sound like indentured servitude to me.

By the wording, it also sounds like it may be included as part of the 80 hours of course work.

I know we did "3 inspection events" during my classwork and I would have liked more.

Doesn't sound like a bad change at all. Assuming this is valid info of course! ![icon_cool.gif](upload://oPnLkqdJc33Dyf2uA3TQwRkfhwd.gif)

Originally Posted By: cradan

Agreed. Ten “events” hardly qualifies as indentured servitude. Wish someone’d have taken me under their wing for 10 inspections.

Perhaps the better question for the future would be, "what will it take for us to get "one of our own" on the Advisory Board?"

--
Chris
http://www.inspect4me.com
Chicago Illinois Home Inspections

Originally Posted By: jkormos

Gerry is it possible to get the minutes from the meeting

Joe

Originally Posted By: aleleika

cradan wrote:

Perhaps the better question for the future would be, "what will it take for us to get "one of our own" on the Advisory Board?"

Exactly!!!

I think you hit the nail on the head here for the future. I think that we need to have a plan on what it takes to get one of our own to campaign to be appointed to the board as terms expire. These terms rotate expiration every 2 years I believe.

This is an excellent topic of discussion for our next chapter meeting. We need to get the ground work done on this.