"Im concerned you arent ASHI certified."

Originally Posted By: bmargiotti
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

i havnt caller her back yet, but i am EXTREMELY pissed and am going to wait an hour to call back. (1) how is this any of her business (2) who is telling her this is a requirement and (3) how is this any of her business.

im going to tactfully discuss with her that the inspection is between myself and my client. i will also tactfully tell her that for $$$ i can be ASHI certified as well.

the most disappointing thing is that this is the BIG local office that i am doing a presentation at in 8 days and also a co-member of out Chamber of Commerce. i have talked to the manager of the office a couple times, should i go over the realtors head and call the manager?

advice??

thanks,
Bob Margiotti

Originally Posted By: bkelly2

Call your client and find out what is going on.

client already called and cancelled icon_mad.gif

who here has joined ASHI just for "business purposes"?

who is a member of both NACHI and ASHI?

i have been told upon entering 1st tier realty offices that they only use ASHI inspectors. (Howard Hanna and Realty One) and as much as id like to say screw 'em, i have to be realistic. this is a substantial chunk of lost business. its obvious why i joined NACHI, but i cant get into a debate with every single realtor in every office. thats how they get 'cha. i guess i may be looking into joining.

Bob

Bob you are going to have to do what you think is right for your business.

Originally Posted By: jbushart

Bob,

It takes time to chip away at the false images that have been created regarding ASHI. I do have a few tips that you may find helpful. They are working well in many areas in Missouri.

First, educate your real estate agents in several areas. ASHI, for instance, does not "certify" home inspectors. NACHI is the association for "certified home inspectors". ASHI is a "society" for home inspectors who wish to pay them dues so they can join and "socialize" with each other. All can join. You can join, today, if you want to send them the money. No testing required.

What most knowledgable real estate agents are really asking when they want to know if I belong to ASHI (is how I usually begin my explanation, here) is whether or not I am accountable to someone other than my bookkeeper. Do I have a set of standards that I must follow? Do I do business in accord with a code of ethics? The answer is "yes". Then I explain that, unlike ASHI, NACHI required that I take and pass an entrance exam and clear other hurdles (SOP, affadavit of number of inspections, etc) before accepting my money for dues.

Not only that, but NACHI requires that - in order to maintain my membership - that I obtain 24 CEUs per year, test annually, etc.

Many NACHI members today are former members of ASHI who were able to meet our standards.

Second, be sure the agents in your area are aware of the training that your chapter (use Jeff Judy's if you have none) provides, each time there is an event. Invite them to attend. They won't, of course, but they will know about them. They will hear about them and they will notice how little they hear about ASHI providing its members the same thing.

Slowly but surely, they will move in your direction. Start with the newer agents.

If you join ASHI and have fewer than 250 inspections, your "candidate" status will do more to hurt you than help you, so IMO you should avoid publicizing it if you decide to join until you hit that number. By then, savvy NACHI members in your area will, hopefully, make that a wasted effort.

Good luck.

--
Home Inspection Services of Missouri
www.missourihomeinspection.com

"We're NACHI. Get over it."

www.monachi.org

jbushart wrote:
Bob,

It takes time to chip away at the false images that have been created regarding ASHI.

thanks for your responses. i agree that the image of an ASHI home inspector is much more that reality. the problem is ALL perception tho. at some point, obviously when ASHI was the ONLY organization, ASHI became the industry standard. BUT the irony is that there wasnt an alternative! the alternative was NO professional trade affilitation. now that there are options, one of which is NACHI that i feel is far superior, it almost doesnt matter, just that your "not ASHI."

an example, my local paper has a weekly "Home" section where home buying/selling topics are discussed. in the past year alone 3 articles have been written that specifically recommend ASHI members. for what/why they dont even specify!

it sucks actually. i dont want to re-educate the industry and i dont want to have to argue with every potential referral source. realtors dont give a rats arse anyway. they only know what their co-workers/bosses tell them. ASHI good. no ASHI bad.

now i understand this wont always be an issue and i have to decide whats best for ME. but, ill have to accept that if i want certain business i have to play their game. and im SOOO not that kind of person. my gut tells me, "screw 'em." my bank account tells me, "join 'em." <sigh>

and btw, ASHI is requiring that new members take the National Home Inspectors Exam. and, all Candidates and Members are required to obtain 20 MRCs (Membership Renewal Credit) each year after their first year of Membership.

thanks for listening,
Bob

Originally Posted By: lgoodman

I told one potential client that ASHI was a seniority protection society and really does not address qualifications. Told her that in my small community where people haven’t caught on to the home inspection notion I may never do enough inspections for seniority. But ask someone for whom I have inspected how I did the job for them.

I got the gig and dispelled the ASHI is better notion one client at a time.

I still get thew ASHI question now and again. The answer here is quite easy as everyone is certified by the state, and everyone takes the National Home Inspector Exam. So the playing field is level. Realtors here for the most part understand there are different associations.

Bob are you still going to give your presentation?

Originally Posted By: jmurray

Ask the realtor what “ASHI” stands for then give them your pitch!

“A little less conversation and a little more action”!

Originally Posted By: charper

I believe that is called “restraint of free trade”. This agency certainly cannot dictate tol you what organizations you must belong to,. I had the same problem in Atlanta. I called the office and advised that my attorney was looking into the restraint of free trade issue. They backed off. I continue to get business from them today.

Charlie

www.HomeInspectionGa.com

Originally Posted By: hspinnler

Agents notwithstanding, I believe that one thing that gets overlooked is that we are dealing with the general pubic. Why do we expect the consumer to do their homework every time and really explore what these national home inspector organizations are all about? To me, I think it is a waste of time to always have to hammer this ASHI vs. NACHI point by trying to educate the general public. This includes the agents that have only known one outfit during their career. I explain that I’m both and get on with it. I don’t get into that Candidate vs. Member thing, why go down that road and bring up something that no one is asking about. Contracts here usually require two “certifications” ASHI & CABO. The local news says “hire an ASHI inspector.” The sticker on my vehicle says “NACHI.” I don’t bash either.

When the opportunity presents itself, I introduce agents to NACHI. One agent recently added NACHI in their contract. Now the inspector must be either ASHI, NACHI, or GAHI (Georgia Association of Home Inspectors). That's a change, one person at a time. From a marketing perspective, I feel I have to have ASHI. From the standpoint of professional growth and membership, I'll rely on both. I agree that NACHI does some things better. Take the quality of this message board for instance. ASHI's has much less traffic. The final point I would like to make is that the pitting of one organization against another when discussing professional memberships with clients and agents creates no positives for me. NACHI's gaining market share with its number of members. ASHI was the big corporation type organization that was slow to react and lost ground to the newcomer. From this point and into an undeterminable period of time into the future, it is highly likely that we're going to need to belong to both to be able to cover all the bases. Just my 2 cents.

Hank Spinnler
Harmony Home Inspection Services

thanks Hank,

that was a great insightful response. i agree with everything. from my ‘marketing’ perspective i may have to join both. it is what it is, and i dont want to ever have to squabble over which is better or explain why i joined one and not the other. the people im marketing to dont care about that.

Bob

Originally Posted By: dbowers

and FHA Compliance Inspector , I’ve been called upon by FHA to review his inspections on 2 separate occassions and been hired by several lenders to review this particular engineers report when problems occurred. This particular engineer is one that FHA has refused to accept his reports because they are so weak and poorly written.

We all run into the kind of thing you talk about at times.

Originally Posted By: ddelaney

ASHI spent alot of time and money running around this great country of ours telling Realtors that “if they ain’t ASHI, they ain’t inspectors”.

This is the sole reason I have not joined ASHI. NACHI supports inspectors, and spends our dues for better causes. Once you build a relationship with just a couple of Realtors, word of mouth will be more useful than all the money ASHI has wasted.

Time will tell. Once a few buyers tell their Realtor how prompt, courteous, and professional you were, the ASHI wall will come down. And then, it would only be fair to start laying up the NACHI wall.

Originally Posted By: djames2

Well put Dave: icon_smile.gif

hello again,

just wanted to update you all. although i lost the inspection this incident originated from, the manager of this realty office talked with the agent and assured her that there was no difference and my NACHI affilitation would be just fine for her and the office.

i had my 'pre-listing inspection' presentation on Tuesday (8/9) in front of 20+ realtors at this same office and it went GREAT!! it was short, but sweet and they were all really interested. one raised their hand and asked, "what is the difference with this NACHI and ASHI?" and before i could answer the manager once again replied, "nothing, just an N in the name." wow, she came to bat for me again. two others have since told me i was great and they have been wishing all home sellers would adopt the pre-listing strategy.

i stopped at a home depot on the way home from the presentation, my cell phone rings and i book an inspection from a referral already!

thanks again,
Bob

Originally Posted By: rschuemann

New to the biz & I was probably influenced to join NACHI over ASHI because of the local chapters. At the national level either org is good but it is the local level that is more important.

I doubt that anyone at the ASHI mtg even remembers me being there. There was the initial warm greeting but after that things were pretty cool. I was another competitor. Seemed like the big dogs didn't want to talk to me when I said I wasn't interested in being an employee or a sub. Just didn't feel like I fit in. I don't do golf (yawn).

Going to the NACHI mtg was like going to 'Cheers.' I felt more comfortable. The local NACHI chapter seemed more inerested in getting everybody to cooperate & succeed together. AND no one even mentioned golf.

I'm betting NACHI is the better horse in the long run.

well…its become a reoccuring issue for me. interesting point that on a local level, results may vary. this is true.

from a marketing standpoint i HAVE to join ASHI. its disappointing that you can be backed into a corner like this, but it is what it is. i am printing and submitting my application today ![icon_cry.gif](upload://r83gSGUzNOacIqpjVReDwcR83xZ.gif) i dont know what my future status will be with NACHI.

to be honest with you all, i wish our president was doing more to educate top tier realty offices that seem to have the attitude that its ASHI or nothing. they tell me that its the "legal department." ???

Bob

Originally Posted By: jwortham

So contact the “Legal Department” I bet you will find out it’s all BS.

At which time, you politely inform your contacts that you have "cleared" it up with the legal department.

Make sure you get names of the people you talk to. Then at least, they have to come up with another excuse. But once you are on the move, it will be hard for them to counter you.

oh, im SURE its all BS, BUT how can you expect to court new clients by arguing with them about NACHI being just as good or better than what their superiors tell them.

Bob