Improper Shingle Repairs

Morning, Richard. Hope this post finds you well and in good spirits today.

Typically/usually three tab shingle tabs are mechanically damaged by wind.
Prolonged Significant wind can/may cause shingles or even parts of the shingle as in your case to become detached from the shingle strip and the shingle/s below or even blown off the roof deck completely.

In your case, shingle tabs have been torn off, detached, mechanically damaged from the shingle strip. The repairs were not installed by a qualified roofer.

Repairs are as follows. The fasteners are removed from damaged and surrounding shingles. An easy pry bar is used to remove fasteners. Once the fasteners are removed the damaged shingle is manipulated out of place and replaced with a three tab shingle in good condition. I say in good condition because ware affects the color of a shingle and so can the batch color. One trick I was taught is to use reversed starter course or raker course starter shingles when possible. So yes, new shingle can be used but one does not always have a choice.
The link below might give you an idea as to how damaged shingles are repaired.
Repairing damaged shingles.

Roofing: Cross gable roof decks. Three tab shingles.
Observation: Mechanically damaged three tab shingles. Poor prior repairs.
Recommend: A licensed roofing contractor further evalaute the condition of the roof covering. Adequately repair prior repairs. Insure the roof is water tight.
Limitation: Roof was inspected at ground level.

???

You are surprised???
This is what happens when you mix a cut & paste with simpleton incompetence.

2 Likes

Chuck,
That’s great. Thank you. I will start using that.

Maybe he means:

2 Likes

OH geez get ready for the big ASSertation comin’ up soon! :face_vomiting:

You never use the term, Marcel? And just to correct you I posted; “In your case, shingle tabs have been torn off, detached, mechanically damaged from the shingle strip.”
Best regards.
Robert Young

PS: You get my hours?

Mechanical Damage?

These are some signs that indicate a roof might have mechanical damage:

There are small tool marks in the asphalt.
Damage is localized to maintenance areas.
Granules are pushed into the asphalt in infrequent clusters.
Damage occurs around AC units, satellite dishes, or solar panels.

Unsealed shingles without physical mat damage are not considered wind damaged .
Wind damage;
Screen-Shot-2018-05-10-at-12.57.06-PM

Learn the difference please.

1 Like

Oh boy! You’re in big doo doo now.
Here’s comes more comedy!

Thank you for pointing that out.
Just to add to the damage occurs around AC units, satellite dishes, or solar panels, vents, eaves troughs, gutters, siding, window screens to name a few.

Marc, your are less a professional with every post you provide.
It’s a wonder InterNACHI allows volunteers on an Awards Committee like yourself to post that way.
Marcel does not act like that.

You are a pervert

relating to or controlled or operated by physical forces is the ‘loss of material due to a mechanical action.’
I felt, but have sense been corrected, there was mechanical damage due to action ‘relating to or controlled or operated by physical forces.’
Sorry if I offend anyone.