Improper Shingle Repairs

I do not like partial shingle repairs/replacements, such as the ones in the attached photo. Pieces of mismatched shingles jammed up under the damaged shingles, with no obvious connectors. I write them up as improper repairs, and recommend a licensed, qualified roofing contractor. How about you folks? It can get pretty windy around here, obviously.

Rich Carter
Rich Carter LLC
Gerrardstown, WV

I do not see the photo Richard.

So sorry, sir. Thought it uploaded. :slight_smile: I have edited the post.

The most common and easiest defect in spot repairs of roofing shingles is failure to manually bond the original shingles along the perimeter which were pried up to facilitate removing the damaged shingle and fastening the replacement.

In your case, they didn’t even bother to attempt a proper repair. They left the torn shingles in place and tacked pieces under the trailing edge with nails driven through the surface. This is crap.

The advantage of walking roofs is that you can show what was done/not done in a case like indisputably.

3 Likes

Chuck said it!

Thank you very much, gentlemen.

The roof has exceeded it’s useful service life and should be budgeted for replacement…and move on …

Actually that roof doesn’t appear to be past it’s useful service life, it just needs to be repaired properly.

2 Likes

Really ??? i counted nine…nine repairs in that one little corner…now unless the rest of that roof is pristine…I believe cosmetically acceptable repairs would be impossible and a roof replacement would be the most economical option…I could be wrong I’m sitting in my office in Ohio and it has been 10 years since I have installed a roof You may see something I don’t from here…

You’re assuming.

“cosmetics” and “useful service life” are two completely different things.

2 Likes

would practical useful service life work better for You? you can tarp a roof and keep it from leaking it doesn’t mean that home is a good investment… The last roof I put on ten years ago was not the only roof I installed in 40 years of contracting…my report would state roof has exceeded useful service life. budget for replacement. Perhaps You don’t say anything about PB water supply lines that are not leaking at the time of inspection…to each their own…

Bunch of alarmists up in here. It looks fine from the ground! been like this for 2 years now. It would’ve leaked already! :upside_down_face:

PS: (the listing agent told me)

1 Like

I should mention that it is a 10 year old, fairly large colonial, with no issues on the back side of the roof. But on average, those shingles are halfway done. If it were my house, I would replace them all. But it’s not my house, so I will definitely recommend further evaluation, and considering his options and/or future expenses. Thanks everyone. I hadn’t thought about complete replacement.

1 Like

Too funny, sounds like a couple buyer agents i know, too.

Richard, may I ask why you would recommend further evaluation?

At the very least it needs correction of the repairs done and you could say that because you know that.

And if it were your house, you said you would replace them all. Maybe you could say to budget for total replacement in the near future, or some such. Your client deserves your professional opinion and it sounds like that would be to budget for replacement in the near future after the correction to the repairs are done. Or complete replacement of the front damaged area and to budget for the replacement of the rear in a few years.

They don’t need it to be evaluated again. That is what your were there to do and did…right?

1 Like

Recommending further evaluation is asking for the the person who did this crap work to refute your opinion and tell everyone you don’t know what you’re talking about. Since he’s coming behind you he gets the last word. You know it’s wrong so state as much in clear unambiguous language. Then recommend “proper repair or replacement, as appropriate, by a qualified, licensed (if applicable in your state) contractor.”

Save the “further evaluation” for those things that you cannot make an actual determination on or can’t determine scope during the course of a home inspection.

6 Likes

I agree Chuck.

Too much of that going on, that is why they are there, to evaluate. Not have anyone else do it.

1 Like

Thank you all. What I meant to say was further evaluation of his options, not of the shingles. It’s good to know I have such a valuable resource such as this. Stay safe everyone.

2 Likes

Something to add - “proper” or insurance approved repair is to remove a shingle and replace it (xactimate 20-25$) I have never seen or heard of a shingle repair where the roofer filled the holes of nails taken out - which leaves perforated underlayment (watch them on utube). Even with that done with good caulk and not tearing the felt (difficult) the underlayment will not be to any defined specification. I also do not know of any roof repair company which warrants repairs for the life of the other shingles and many of the best will not do repairs. Underlayment felt deteriorates with time, often easily damaged during repair. Perforated deteriorated underlayment will actually hold water next to and damage sheeting. Seepage can get into walls with no notice until sometimes serious rot damage and very expensive mold removal. Multiple broken tabs indicates probable tab adhesion problems - exposing shingle ends during storms and future wind damage. Improper repairs indicates possible caulked down adjacent shingles so expanded ‘correct’ repair problems. I would say budget for new roofing that slope and any overlapping at valleys.

The shingles don’t look that bad, and they’re relatively inexpensive 3-tab, so it’s the reason for replacement that is the question. If that’s wind damage and not hail damage it indicates poor bonding. If that’s the reason, then that whole slope will have similarly questionable bonding and damage may continue with wind events like that which blew out those shingles.
If it’s hail damage… well, 3-tabs aren’t all that resistant.
And yes, it’s a sloppy repair job with non-matching shingles. As far as not removing the old shingle… yep, very sloppy, but it’s now double-thick and more hail/leak resistant!