Would you recommend replacement of the damaged shingles?

Would you recommend replacement of the damaged shingles? This is a 13 yr old roof.

Rob Senner 035.JPG

Rob Senner 026.JPG

Rob Senner 027.JPG

Rob Senner 017.JPG

If that was my inspection I would call for repairs hopefully all your shingles were in that shape. If I can see the fibers I call for repairs

Agreed.

I did the report already.
I do recommend replacement of damaged shingles when I see this. Just wondering what other Hi do.

Even though it is not leaking right now and probably wouldn’t for a time do you still list it in your critical items (defects)? I have been.
Have a blessed day!

Yes I do

Would certainly look to be a warranty issue, De-lamination is was I would think.

Thank you - I didn’t think of that.

Good call!

If it was just these four it is a basic maintenance item, I would not use the term “critical”. It certainly gets called out if the granular coating is gone. The standard recommendation on my report is that all items be repaired prior to closing, so everything has the same time frame. The only exception is safety items which should be repaired immediately.

There were about 10 small spots - only one larger one pic above.

Replacement? No.

Have you ever seen how badly they usually bugger up the surrounding shingles when doing a small patch on an older roof? Not to mention how they break the bonds and never go back and hand tab them so the shingles above the replacement blow off in a windstorm. In all likelihood far more damage would be done to this roof by replacing a few minor damaged shingles than they represent by themselves.

If I were handing a repair of a few small defects like that on my roof, I would simply apply a bit of high quality roofing caulk over the exposed asphalt and fiberglass scrim to keep the UV light off of it.

True

Then I would label it as repairs recommended on my reports and specify that approximately 10 similar defects were observed throughout the roof. I agree with Chuck, the repair doesn’t demand replacement. I have patched small areas like this on my own roof with black jack and a handful of granules from the nearest gutter. Though I don’t suggest that to my clients. :slight_smile:

To each his own but that type of damage I still recommend replacement of the damaged shingle and if the contractor does not repair it properly it becomes his responsibility not mine. I can just see smearing black jack ugly all over this 20 K roof???

Who suggested that?

If I were handing a repair of a few small defects like that on my roof, I would simply apply a bit of high quality roofing caulk over the exposed asphalt and fiberglass scrim to keep the UV light off of it.

I beleive that came from TX;-)

I’d recommend replacement of the damaged shingles but would warn the client that they can probably expect to see other shingles delaminate in the not too distant future.
Each of those shingles has another one under it, so I wouldn’t really expect the roof to leak before the 20-year (assuming it’s 20-year) warranty expires as long as they were well bonded.

Thank you all very much.

Have a blessed day!

better cheapo repair guys have enough sense to dig a few pounds of the granule loss out of the gutter to place atop the wet caulk/balckjack/roofing plastic/whatever for UV protection & camouflage, just sayin’

contrary to okie beliefism not everyone in TX is an idiot…just a few that migrated south to get a job ;~))

Could that be hail damage?

If that’s hail damage and the worst of the hail damage is all that’s visible, isn’t there a possibility that more of the same kind of damage will manifest itself as the impact sites that aren’t visible yet get older and the granules at those impact sites slough off?

Insurance adjusters in areas that have heavy hail see hail damage all the time. If you sometimes get heavy hail in your area and you suspect it could be hail damage, ask yourself if there’s a possibility that an insurance adjuster would pay to replace the entire cover knowing that more of the same could develop later on? If you’re not sure or suspect that there might be even the slightest possibility that an agent could call for a new cover, contact your own agent, ask him to do you a favor by having one of their adjusters look at the photos and shoot him a copy of the photos to see what they think. Make sure he understands that this is not your house and if he asks who’s house it is explain that information is confidential. He might tell you to take a hike or he might be happy to help out a client.

Mike O’Handley
Kenmore, Washington