Improving home inspection reports

That already exists in both HIP and HG and called bookmarks or table of contents which shows on the left and perhaps I am spoiled because HIP has always had that.

My report would look a lot different without it . (It would suck)

Bob,
He is talking about a living document/database that interacts with the involved parties so they can change the way they look at the data, add to the data …etc…in essence the report becomes a database instead of just a document with bookmarks. Sounds like a nice project…this applies more to other markets…for example…doing an inspection for YMCA campgrounds where the inspection data is saved and is viewed by multiple entities and is manipulated by them differently…different reports are created specifically for what they need…etc…I am not sure the home inspection market is ready for that type of solution quite yet.

I was not implying you conform to anything…I was just talking about how reports have changed over the years and how much more work they have become compared to a simple 8 page carbon copy checksheet form.

What exactly is missing Bob ? You sound like the TV commercial …“I want more.” :wink:

I understand that and was thinking about something along those lines myself yesterday with all this report talk.

Having such an open report style might encourage alterations as well however.

I assume this would be sort of a hyperlink style.

The data collected by the INSPECTOR would be uneditable by anyone else in the database…and maybe even in a different color or style when viewing it…etc. It is really just looking at the data in different ways…and adding their own notes. Like I said…I think the home inspection market is not there yet…there are a few exceptions…here in Minneapolis there is a report called the Truth in Housing report which is a sellers report that the city of Minneapolis keeps in their own database so that certain people can look at specific data that was collected during the inspection…I really do not see individual inspectors doing this but maybe a large franchise sometime in the future.

Then we are talking about a live hosted website form type inspection almost like a WIKI.

Couldn’t that be accomplished similar to adding a “New Comment” under Review tab in Word.

The report should be written with the buyer in mind…LMAO…I agree 0%

Which buyer, the one last week that wanted to know ever last detail?

Maybe the one last week that was pretty much gutting the place?

Maybe the one last week that really only cared about mold and Radon?

Maybe the one, who cared less about anything in the report and never read it…

So should there be a personality test and test to determine the wants and not wants of the clients? What about the client who could care less about mold…Until you find a room filled with mold, then they care.

Here is just a crazy idea…how about providing a consistent product that best suits the needs of your target clients. Trying to please everyone usually ends up pleasing no one. Consistent reporting in a professional manner will provide a rewarding career. Trying to tailor a report for each and every client makes no sense to me at all…

Agree there should be consistency however us sole proprietor guys can often do a better job than you multi-inspection firms using your replys an example of why it pays to go with a smaller business many times…

As a single Inspector actually doing every faucet of the inspection and working on site with my client I get to know them and what they are familiar with.
My report often includes little bits of maintenance and tips that I know they need.

Calling a number and getting someone who has no idea what they are about will get canned response such as when we try and call a Utility company.
Cold and impersonal with consistency for sure but absolutely no personal touch that makes a big difference to those first time home buyers already stressed out and looking for person that cares.

Yes a large company or franchise is perhaps more consistent with that checklist style but clients often want more and those that can deliver it have the advantage.

When a client calls and asks just how serious a water pressure issue is I know from experience what the implications are and what steps I went through to before documenting that did not make the report.
Did I unscrew the aerator screen,run multiple fixtures at the same time,was there rust on first operation,pipe material,did I take into account the lack of pressure booster operation on the 4th floor and factor that in as a reason for the poor flow ?

If I was too large all could do do was either refer to a checklist or guess because one of the other men did that portion which means only repeating the possibly minimal issue comment and not seeing the holistic picture.

LMAO…Man you always harp on the multi-inspector guys. Bob how do many guys like me get to me multi-inspector firms? I will give you a hint…we are in demand and people want our services.

Your water pressure example is kinda crazy. So if I do it all myself, I know better? Can’t I just have the guy who inspected the water pressure issue call the client and explain it?

Here is proof multi inspector firms are better…they are MULTI inspector firms…LMAO. The proof is in the pudding. I could not service all the clients that desired my services so I had to hire others.

My only point is that smaller operations are lean ,mean,fighting machines and are more flexible to a clients needs while larger companies remind me of guys who work out so much they have zero flexibility .

Once too big a company must always stay with policy and be 100% consistent which is not always the best way to serve a client at all times.

Yes a client calls and get s who on the phone ? (you) ?

…Say Russ tell me more about the plumbing issue
…uh I was not there let me try and reach the guy who might have done that.

…Huh…I need an answer now so why can’t you help me.

…Uh sorry sir we have a system here and I will need to get a hold of the guy first.

Well can the guy give me some advice on what I should do and does it need a Plumber or can I do it myself ?

…Sorry sir each and every defect requires you to get a Contractor to examine it.

…But my report also mentions there is a large amount of corrosion on the Water Heater so could that be tied in to the issue ?
…Oh well that is another guy so let me try and get a hold of him as well.

Just busting your chops Russ.lol

Its OK Bob…

But here is the difference. When the guy calls with a question, what does he get when he calls you? Do you stop the inspection your at and give the present customer crap service or do you ignore his call and give the present client your undivided attention they deserve?

Hmmmmmmm…Mine get a professional secretary to at least give them service and to get a message as to what their questions are so that when an inspector has to return the call, they already know what they are going to be asked and have the answers all ready for them!

Man your clients have many questions, my advice would to be write a competent report people understand so they don’t ask so many questions. Seems you cause more questions than you answer…

Love ya!

Wow …Great topic.

Russell I am behind you 100%. Reports have to be consistent, whether single man operation or multi inspector firm. There is a group of us (inspectors) that when one of use gets a large job we all work together on it. Each one of us has specific tasks on each job and we do it. We fill in where needed to get the job done.

Report gets written whether it is me or one of the crew but the reports are all 90-100% the same. We all use 3D and with 3D it allows us to combine reports from many machines and customize the finished product any way we want.

When and/if calls come in. Questions get answered. If it was a question about HVAC and I did not inspect the HVAC guess what open the report find HVAC and answer the question. If you know and trust your team members the answers are in the report

Sorry Russ, but I agree with the guy. Buyers hire an inspector to find defects. They don’t take our reports and write an amendment to their contract politely discussing all the features of the house, maintenance tips, details of their warranty or their energy score. They write a repair amendment demanding the sellers fix the junk they broke, failed to maintain, hire cheap contractors to construct, tried to hide/sugar coat or screwed up by modifying.

Only one thing can’t be stripped away from an inspection report and it still be an inspection report: The Inspection. Clients want to know if there are deal breakers(from their perspective) or major repairs needed in the roof, structure, foundation, plumbing, HVAC or electrical.

Reports need to find a way to place defects at the ready for clients to consider first and foremost as they decide the next step in their purchase: move forward or bail out? All the ancillary services in the world don’t help them make that decision.

So we agree to disagree. My clients hire me to get educated. Not ONLY to find the defects, but to KNOW what is in the house. What years are the water heaters, the AC units the major appliances. Does it have a pool heater?

Like I said earlier, find your clientele and cater to them and that is what we do. We find savvy buyers who want a detailed analysis of their house, and as much information as possible. Not just whats wrong and if they should bail or not.

Your business model works well for you and mine works well for me…to each his own

I agree with Jeff Knight, most of the top software available can present defects in clear, concise and helpful formats. The writer is totally wrong about that. He is confusing software design with the real problem; home inspectors are, by-and-large, woefully inept in customizing and formatting their reports using the feature-rich software available to them.

I’m not sure what you’re debating. My target clientele are people who need a home inspector to find the defects in the house they are purchasing. That’s every home buyer. All that other descriptive educational stuff is State and NACHI SOP. It’s in there anyway.

We’re talking about reports, specifically catering reports to your client’s needs.

You wrote that as if those four have no needs in common. They actually do: every one of them, including your savvy education focused clientele, all want to know if there is a deal breaker. Deal breakers on a report are always defects. That should be the primary goal of the report because defects are the only common need of every client. Frankly, it’s the ONLY way write a report with every buyer in mind. Call it education if you want, you’re always going to report defects regardless. Defects are king.

Accuracy is king. The house is the house is the house…no matter who pays for the inspection. I am there to report on the CONDITIONS of the house, those that DO operate and those that DO NOT operate. Do you ONLY mention the defects in the report?

I cannot write a report for each and every person specifically using different methods, to do so is a legal nightmare. I report the exact same way every time. I try include many of the same areas of photos, such as the water heater data plate, every single time.

I had clients to day that hired me and asked me how to work several of the subsystems within the residence. I told them sure, and that it would also be in the report for future reference. I take pictures of the main water and main electrical disconnect. There was nothing wrong with them, should I not report them? I actually give them the size of their AC filters, so they can use my report as a reference. All of their appliance model and serial numbers. NONE of these are defects, it is INFORMATION that they can refer to. People seem to like it, we have had growth every single year for the past 12 years…they like something about it.

In effect-you are both right.
Russel you cater to your clients with a higher form of care and to me that means more financial gratuitousness. Some may agree and others may not.

There are many quantifying preambles to our own businesses. It is up the the proprietor to generate there own business success strategy IMO.
You are both astute inspectors and businessmen.

Like I said in the first post to Cameron…agree to disagree…to each his own. Very hard to compete with 500 other inspectors in my area (no exaggeration, literally 500) doing the same thing they are doing…