$$ in checking phone and computer wiring

Originally Posted By: rbennett
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

All

Need more money?? Do something that your competition does not.

Since new houses are required to be rewired in most area and most existing homes have phone wiring in them, I inspect this for an additional fee.

I know that this is excluded in most org's standards but we check the electrical and that requires more knowledge than the phone wiring.

If there is enough interest, I would be willing to develop an educational module for NACHI use

"Certified" maybe - that is another story

Need some feedback

RLB

Originally Posted By: jkormos

Sounds interesting, please share more

Jo

Looks like your are the only person sofar

If I don't get any other input I will give you a call

Give me a short email at reginabennett96@msn.com with your phone ##

Yes it will give you a "little" marketing edge and a little extra $$

Thanks for the reply

Regards

RLB

Originally Posted By: gbell

I just had a client ask last week if I would inspect the phone and cable lines. Since I did not know what to do I told him it was not in the scope of the inspection. He ended up paying someone else to inspect them. I would be interested in what you have to offer.

Thanks,

Greg Bell

--
Greg Bell
Bell Inspection Service

Originally Posted By: lkage

gbell wrote:
...inspect the phone and cable lines...what to do...I would be interested in what you have to offer.

More info please.

--
"I have never met a man so ignorant that I couldn't learn something from him."
Galileo Galilei

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon

Quote:
I know that this is excluded in most org's standards but we check the electrical and that requires more knowledge than the phone wiring.

I couldn't tell from your original post if you were talking about electrical or communication lines. I'd be interested in learning, but somehow I just don't see customers asking for this service.

--
Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

Originally Posted By: lungar

I would like to know.

Len

Originally Posted By: kelliott

My kneejerk reaction is that phone lines cost $75 minimum I believe, if MaBell comes inside to check or repair wiring. So if you can tell client if it’s a wiring problem, rather than the phone, it might interest some people.

Ethernet lines might also be of interest for people who are going to have a home network setup- getting more and more popular. But WiFi is also taking over, so the market for that may be limited.

Haven’t had a request for any of that yet, but I can see some possibilities.

Looks I opened a door here

Give me some time and I will post some replies

(Mr Bell very surprised to see your post)

Quit pleased in light of our differences

RLB

Originally Posted By: jmurphy1

I think there is some type of electrical test equipment which is used to test phone lines, computer networking cables, etc. Sometimes lines are spliced inproperly or are pinched in installation and pinpointing the location of the problem would be difficult without the diagnostic equipment.

In new construction, wiring may be installed prior to plumbing and plumbers drill through wire or cut through a wire etc. I know it happened once when I was doing construction work.

I think if there is a problem the equipment gives a reading as to direction and distance to the malfunction.

![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

Hello Mr. Bennett

Just because we see things differently doesn't mean that we have to hate each other. All of us has something positive to give to one another. I think your suggestion would be useful to many of us. I hope that you will give a training class at a future chapter meeting on how we can inspect the phone and cable conductors.

Respectfully,

Greg Bell

--
Greg Bell
Bell Inspection Service

John

You are correct. What you are referring to is called a TDR - Time Domain Reflectometer. For the HI this type of testing would be going too deep. What I do is the go - no go functional type of test. Test equipment can be home made - Radio Shack - HomeDepo. etc.

Packaging can be as professional as your want. The testing is very similar to what you are doing with the electrical sockets and fixtures. After all it is just wire. Just a few more conductors and smaller.

I am putting a little power point presentation together with some ckt diagrams for the test equipment

RLB

I have to be honest, when I was 18 or 19 years old and working in construction I was the one who drilled through some wiring. I was a kid and was working for a plumber and we were doing a rough in for a bathroom in a new home. My job was to drill holes for the various sizes of water lines, drain lines, vent lines, waste lines, etc. I did the rough in for the toilet, sink, tub & shower, etc.

Wherever there was an X, I drilled a hole and one day I drilled through some wiring that I couldn't see from where I was working.

I went and found the electrician and explained to him what I had done. He wasn't happy with me, of course, but after he fixed the wiring he thanked me for telling him and for being honest and up front.

![icon_redface.gif](upload://f7DX2EWhmUfsDapWaYT3oJHMCj1.gif)

The sparky should have thanked you. Most of the time he would have found about the problem down the road a little.

Not as bad a my trick

I was running some cat 5 in an old office and drilled a pipe.

Real problem was when I pulled the drill bit out.

An hvac sub contractor of mine set off a large fire suppression system 1/4 mil of damage.

Just remember Murphy is on the job

Regards

RLB

That brought back a nice memory. On one of our jobs the plumber ran a ditch witch through a large bank of communication lines. It wiped out Kennedy Space Center, the 911 system and all of the banks lines in our town. I have never seen so many Bellsouth trucks in one place. It turned out that the lines were 3 feet beyond their easement so we were able to through out the 800k bill for the repairs. They had to come back and dig up the lines for a three block area and put them back in their easement.

Greg Bell

Bell Inspection Service

Don’t know if this is true or not but a guy told mea couple of years ago he was digging a post hole in his back yard and he cut into and damaged some phone lines.

He got hit with a pretty big bill from the phone company and he turned the matter over to his homeowner's insurance.

Supposedly the homeowner's insurance negotiated some kind of payment to the phone company and took care of the matter.

Again, I have no idea if this is true or not.

Originally Posted By: gporter

I am also interested. Mr. Bell , I am happy to see ya. Sit down and type a while.

Gary Porter

GLP’s Home and Mold Inspections LLC

Orlando, Fl 32828

321-239-0621

www.homeandmoldinspections.com

Originally Posted By: bgentry

I’d like to here more. Part of my previous job was troubleshooting network cables for PLC controlled equipment.

Bradley S. Gentry

Superior Home Inspection, LLC

Harrisonburg, Charlottesville, &

Elkton, VA

www.superiorllc.net

Originally Posted By: jonofrey

http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/D/DSC065512.JPG ]

There are 27 technology outlets that each have an RG6 cable, a twisted 4 pair for voice and a 4 pair cat. 5 for data.

The front driveway gate is controlled through wiring connected to the phone system. There are push to talk boxes at each door and the driveway gate.

The service drop from the phone co. is 50 pair that enters through the slab into the garage.

All the wiring (including the coax) terminates on either 66m150 blocks, 110 blocks or modular patch panels.

I put this in about nine years ago (somewhat ahead of the curve)

I'm ready for you to inspect it, tell me if anything is wrong with it and perhaps be liable for it's continued operation. ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

--
Inspection Nirvana!

We're NACHI. Get over it.

Originally Posted By: jonofrey

rbennett wrote:
All

Need more money?? Do something that your competition does not.

Since new houses are required to be rewired in most area and most existing homes have phone wiring in them, I inspect this for an additional fee.

Need some feedback

RLB

Do you have a track record for making money with this or are you just guessing?

--
Inspection Nirvana!

We're NACHI. Get over it.