In-Floor Radiant Heaters (Gas):

Originally Posted By: rmeyers
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Guys & Gals,

Came across a "Louisville Tin & Stove Co. (Cozy Challenger?)" In-floor, Radiant, Gas heating unit this week in an approx 1300 Sq. Ft., 1-1/2 Story.
(62,000 Btu) Found an ANSI-1991 Ref. on one of the labels but the latest mfg. date found in the Preston's Guide for Louisville Tin was 1981?

Personally not very comfortable with safety, hot floor grille, and/or efficiency of gravity type system in maintaining comfort levels upstairs and in small laundry addition on rear of property. Thermostat control on nearby wall. There was also charring in the crawl space to some of the adjacent floor framing reportedly from a previous fire with a similar unit!?

Recommended further safety and operational analysis by a heating professional experienced with the installation of this type unit and replacement for the reasons above. House is empty and undergoing major bath & kitchen remodeling so this would be the ideal time to address this issue.

Any experience with this or similar type floor heater units out there??

Comments??

--
Russ Meyers

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Russell,

This sounds similar to the old coal stoves in the basement with the rather large grate in the middle of the floor, usually in the living or dining room.

Yes, it does get really hot and since everyone back then knows it gets hot you will only step on it one or two times before it registers its hot.

As far the experience part of it, I have never seem this type you mentioned.

I would think as long that it is listed for this type of use (check the labels) there is not much you can do about it. My neighbor actually has a kerosene stove (modern looking from the older style) that heats his entire home. While I am not very fond of the "gravity" theory type heaters his seems to warm the entire house pretty well, even the third floor.

In this case I would report to the client that this system is not a standard type heating system found in modern homes. I would also note that it uses gravity to heat the upper floors and the temperature difference can vary widely from floor to floor.

Just report the facts and let the client decide where they want to go with it. After all, one man's dream is another man's nightmare! You are just there to educate them, right?

Joe Myers

Russell,

I forgot to mention that I was sorry for the delayed response. I was waiting for someone that knew anything about these to help you. Looks like you have found the first one among us. Congrats! ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: Morgan Audetat

When I worked as a plumber in Albuquerque, I ran across many floor furnaces - even replaced a couple - but there is nothing wrong with them properly installed and maintained.

I would check theck the vent pipe and take a look at the heat exchanger and call it a day. They work well for their intended purpose, remember we are talking about a modest home.

Women love the extra warmsource of heat. If it is operating properly it will not reach unsafe temperatures.

I believe you are looking at a gravity floor furnace.

Morgan,

I knew there was a reason we kept you around. ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

Glad to hear at least someone here knows something about these heaters.

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: Morgan Audetat

Thank you Joe,

I blush with modesty. ![icon_redface.gif](upload://f7DX2EWhmUfsDapWaYT3oJHMCj1.gif)

And as a dear friend told me, not long ago, I would rather be kept than unkempt....

All the best!