Indoor Type Panel in Damp Location

Years ago I remember reading that damp vs. wet location was determined by drawing 45 degree line down and inward from the edge of a roof, etc. Anything above that line is a damp location, anything below is a wet location. So, I guess my first question would be if that’s still correct? Next, and assuming that damp vs. wet location definition is correct, I had a normal indoor-type panel in a damp location (outside on a covered deck) and am thinking that’s not right. Any opinions?

As do more inspecting over here in Maui I am finding some pretty crazy patterns. Tons of electric panels in bathrooms is one. Also, lots of outdoor living space (not crazy in Hawaii, of course) but the electrical seems to always be with indoor type switches, lights and boxes. No covers, etc. It’s as though no one thinks it ever rains here.

I’ve never heard that.

BUT, do you have a pic from farther back for more perspective?

Damp Location: Locations protected from weather and not subject to saturation with water or other liquids but subject to moderate degrees of moisture .

1 Like

No that’s really the only picture I took. They built a two-story addition off the back of the original house. The second story is traditional indoor space but the first floor is covered deck that is only enclosed on two sides (back and one side, basically making an “L”). The picture and where the panel is located is at the inside bend of the “L”. It would never see any rain but is definitely outside.

Some reading on the subject:

1 Like