Induction rangetop inspections

Hello everyone. Any advice about testing induction ranges? I know some guys carry a pot or metal plate around . Is there another method?

Thanks

1 Like

$30 for one steel plate with a handle,
or for $30 you can get two sets of two (4 pieces) or 2.5 lb cast iron discs and test all four burners at the same time. Wait a few minutes before you pick them up of course. This is if you are being fancy.

If you don’t need pretty, a coffee tin full of nails will do the trick, too; Any scrap metal that is magnetic.

If you want to go crazy, you can get used NASCAR rotors pretty cheap. They work great. Cast iron, CNC machined to .005 runout.

3 Likes

Stop into your local Salvation Army or other Thrift store and get something for a couple of bucks! Just be sure to bring a magnet with to check it out before buying.

1 Like

That’s what the home owner will think when one plops a used rotor, or 10 lbs. of cast iron, onto their cook top. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I hear ya though. :smile:

2 Likes

Thanks for the insight into this topic. I appreciate it.
Hope everyone is safe and doing well.

1 Like

Testing stoves is beyond what we have to do, but most of us turn on the burners. Although some inspectors don’t test the oven or broiler after forgetting to turn them off once or twice. (And of course, ovens are notorious for inaccurate temps that can be a laborious effort to confirm through the temperature range) So, disclaimers about testing stoves/ranges are common. I see induction ranges so rarely (one last year), that I disclaim them and move on.

2 Likes

I get enough low frequency EMF exposure in my daily work and life as it is. I do not test these types of cook tops and simply disclaim them.

How do you write up the disclaim statement??

“Per home inspection standards of practice household appliances are not part of this general home inspection and were not tested or evaluated”.