Inspecting Air Handlers and Condensers

Hello,

I have a quick question for Air Handlers and Condenser Units. I live in Florida and most of our units are Condenser and Air Handlers. When inspecting these equipments I know our inspections our not technically exhaustive. But I was asking if you guys take front covers off these systems to take a look inside. Such as taking the front Air Handler Cover off to look at the blower motor. Orr taking the front condenser unit off to look at the compressor and capacitor.

Also with air handlers some of them have the UV Blue Light system that is used for air cleaning. Can you take the cover off without damaging the system or looking into this light as I heard this can blind your eyes.

Please let me know

Just wondering

Just depends on your knowledge and comfort level there is no SOP that prevents what you are asking. Why would you want to stare at a compressor they are just a round metal pot there is nothing to see. Now the electrical area is a different story the capacitor could have the top swelled or there could be wires that are starting to over heat. How exhaustive my inspection becomes depends on the age of the unit or what my initial visual inspection reveals. If I discover sloppy installations I will dig a little deeper

Ya must be very careful with those BLUE Lights they will make your babies be born naked:shock::wink:

Thanks for the info. I just wanted to ask before i starting doing something i wasn’t posed to do. Thanks for the Info.

Or with just a red hat…

Shawn… you need to be aware that Charlie is an expert in the HVAC field, so his answers should be taken as such. Typically, he will go wayyyyyyyy beyond what any other average inspector will do.

Gotcha, I will stick with the SOP on inspecting HVAC systems. If I have a question I will not hesitate to post on here. I probably would contact Charley.

I suggest you take the covers off all accessible air handlers to see the condition of the blower assembly, the evaporator coil (may not be visible without a mirror), the drain pan, and the overall interior of the cabinet (dirt, pet hair, mold, half-baked repairs, etc.)

Dom.

Thanks for the info:D