Inspecting appliances

Originally Posted By: evandeven
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

As a carry over from another thread, how many of you inspect appliances as part of your inspection?

Eric Van De Ven

Owner/Inspector

Magnum Inspections Inc.

I get paid to be suspicious when there is nothing to be suspicious about!

www.magnuminspections.com

Originally Posted By: psabados

Eric,

With limits. No clothes washers/dryers, portable dishwashers and frig's.

Units are checked for operation and safety. No calibration checks on oven temps or how long it takes to melt ice or boil water in a micro. No security alarms, IC's and specialty items

Paul

Originally Posted By: jpope

Built-in only;

Stove, range, exhaust hood, microwave, dishwasher and trash compactor.

No refrigerators, washers, dryers, washer dryer combos, TV's, etc.

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: dharris

Do you inspect appliances?

Yes by doing a limited visual insp, and reporting any of below if not correct

Range / confirm anti tip is installed, burners and oven get hot
confirm oven door is properly secure and confirm door seal is present and secure,and check for broken glass in oven door , and also note if hot burner lite fails to work

Dishwasher, Look for rusted racks, operate to confirm it cycles, check for leaks at gasket, look for water running on the floor from under unit , listen for noisy motor, confirm drainage is not restricted and verify presence of a air gap

Ref. verify cold beer and ice cubes in freezer , and note if door seals are damaged or missing

Originally Posted By: pdacey

Appliances are part of the TX SOP.

DW, Range, cooktop, oven, range hood, built in microwave, garbage disposal, trash compactor. These are considered permanent appliances and stay in the house when sold.

Do not inspect, refrigerator, washer, dryer, portable microwave. These are considered portable appliances and typically go with the seller when they move out.

--
Slainte!

Patrick Dacey
swi@satx.rr.com
TREC # 6636
www.southwestinspections.com

Originally Posted By: Brian A. Goodman

I check everything in the kitchen (except portable microwaves) for functionality only. I don’t check washers or dryers, although I will try to get a look at the hook-ups. I wish I had a dollar for every severely kinked dryer hose I’ve seen.

Originally Posted By: aslimack

Kitchen: Ask what staying outside of the built ins and check them. If they aren’t staying, it saves wasting my time and theirs. Check function. Don’t get involved with temps. Oven - all burners, broiler,bake. Seals on the fridge, disposal, dishwasher,exhaust fan, ceiling fan. Is the fridge cold? Is the freezer colder? No washers/dryers. Identify gas/electric options when possible on dryers,ovens.

Adam

Originally Posted By: Guest

I mostly just check to see if they respond to normal controls. And to make the light in the fridge comes on when I open the door. We’re never quite sure if it goes off.

Originally Posted By: dvalley

Quote:
Do not inspect, refrigerator, washer, dryer, portable microwave. These are considered portable appliances and typically go with the seller when they move out.

Likewise.

I also add a boilerplate to my Stove inspections stating that Anti-tip brackets are not installed on stove. Out of 1000 inspections, I've only seen two installed.

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon

I don’t inspect them because #1 it’s not a requirement, and #2 I wouldn’t have the first clue what to look for.

Any idiot can turn it on and say it works or not, I’m referring to actually inspecting the appliance.

Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

Originally Posted By: aslimack

As far as turning it on to say whether it works or not, any idiot could do that. But after any time in the business, you realize that one of the side benefits to our clients is that we do what they don’t feel comfortable doing themselves. Many won’t check these “little” things because they don’t feel comfortable invading the privacy of the seller in the manor that is expected of us. They often have the seller hovering over them. Not as often do we during our inspection. And even if we do, were expected to go through everything. Its the service we sell. We are in effect “Licensed to snoop”. Many potential buyers feel embarrassed and will not check cupboards, fridges, appliances in general, closets, etc. This isn’t a hunch. I know because they tell me so. They merely do a walk through. I have repeat clients who invest in 4 and 8 unit apt. buildings. You don’t think they want to know where these things stand? When your looking at possibly replacing appliances in multiples, you do want to know. These apt. buildings often include the appliances, at least in my area.

Adam

Originally Posted By: dharris

[quote=“aslimack”] We are in effect “Licensed to snoop”.

And we get paid for it

Originally Posted By: dverge

Re domestic appliances;

I advise clients (when discussing the assignment and before contract is signed ) that I inspect furnaces, hvac units, central air cond. units and hot water heaters as part of the home inspection, but domestic appliances are generally not permanent fixtures, and are not included in the inspection. The few times that clients insisted that the domestic appliances be examined, they reluctantly paid an extra fee for the tests I conducted.

My vote is NO

David verge

Originally Posted By: tallen

I check all built in’s for function. Do the burners get hot? does the hot light stay on. I will do a dishwasher if it is empty or if the owner is there and says its ok ie. might be China I don’t know. Most importantly do a tip check!. Fridge >> If it is going with the home (and I ask) fridg must be at 40 or so and freezer at 0. It is above and beond ,but the clients like it. I work for them so, whatever I can do to help without seriosly raising my liability gets done.

I have put the past behind me,

where , however, it now sits, making rude remarks.

www.whiteglovehomeinspections.net

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

Originally Posted By: Craig Shap

I check all built in appliances including refrigerators. I do not check washers or dryers, for the most part they are not part of the home sale.

My report lists the appliances by manufacturer name and whether they do or do not work at the time of the inspection. If there is a malfunction such as burner on stove not functioning then I include the line item.

It is very rare that these items are even a topic of discussion. If asked then I indicate that they were tested - functioning or not.

--
CAS Atl GA.
The Hometeam Inspection Service

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

I check all appliances, including washer and dryer for function only and state that in the report with a statement that says: no warranty expressed or implied is given for the continued operation of any appliance, or the accuracy or efficiency of any appliance component. I also include name, model number and serial number of each. That helps when the seller plays the switch game, which has come up four times this year alone.

I also check stoves for the anti-tip. But ya know, the dryer can do the same thing in some instances.

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon

bwiley wrote:

I also check stoves for the anti-tip. But ya know, the dryer can do the same thing in some instances.

The anti tip on a stove is more to prevent something that is cooking or boiling on it doesn't come down on the child standing on the oven door.

--
Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

Originally Posted By: dvalley

David Valley

MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

Quote:
The anti tip on a stove is more to prevent something that is cooking or boiling on it doesn't come down on the child standing on the oven door.

I don't know where you got that. The anti tip bracket was designed because kids were opening the oven door to stand on and climb up on the counter and the ovens were tipping over on the kids and killing them. It was a news piece on either See BS, or 20-20 or something several years ago, and I think I even got a CPSC bulletin on it around that time.

Originally Posted By: jmurray

Personally, I think by voluntarily inspecting appliances, you are voluntarily increasing you liability for future action!

Hopefully everyone who inspects appliances has a disclaimer that they do not inspect washers, dryers, dishwashers and etc. if that is the case?

I could see telling the judge that “I” voluntarily inspected the fridge and oven but, I choose not to do the washer that spewed 30 gallons of water all over the fancy pool table because such an inspection was not required!

“A little less conversation and a little more action”!