inspecting YOUR home prospects

Originally Posted By: Marie Guerrieri
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

HI All,

Has anyone out there used their skills when buying their own house? When I was in Tennessee, my husband found a house he thought he wanted. Well, we went out to look at it with the real estate agent. She was telling us what a great buy this place would be…of course. She had no idea I had just finished my training as a HI. Once we got there and I started looking the place over I was horrified! The original part of the house had two small bedrooms added onto it. Who ever did the work must have been in the dark about construction! The block foundation was riddled with active cracks, the roof line reminded me of a sway-back horse and the wiring going into the masthead looked like a plate of spaghetti…without the sauce…Inside the house wiring could be seen running along the ceiling, tacked up by staples, and the top of the window frames were leaning outward because of the wieght pressing down on them from the ceiling! And when I peeked into the attic! Forget about it! Sunlight streamed in through the siding were the addition was added! And outside, when I moved the grass aside from the foundation to get a better look at these cracks, a black widow spider let me know that this place was HER place! I squashed her though. The real estate agent played dumb though when I pointed out that the house would have to be torn down and that I was not going to pay $38,000.00 for 3 acres of land! It’s so great to have the knowledge to protect yourself from shady real estate dealings. I’d love to hear about any other stories like this! Thanks!

Marie

Originally Posted By: jonofrey

Hi Marie,

38k for 3 acres and a shack? That sounds like a great deal! Were there any fish on the property?

Most kidding aside, I tried to save some of my relatives from buying a 2 acre property with a shack that was a termite infested fire trap. I'm stocking up on marshmallows.

--
Inspection Nirvana!

We're NACHI. Get over it.

Hi John!

No fish! Only a dried up gully! And the highway it was very close to was as crooked as a side-winder! Oh, the agent mentioned something about how the state was going to flood a few thousand acres of land just a few miles from this shack, making the place worth even more on the market because it would be a home by a lake! The way that place was going it wouldn’t be much more than a den for cotton mouths once the lake was there! Yikes! I forgot to mention that the water was turned off so I can’t imagine what might happen once water started flowing through that place! I’m sure the agent sold it to some poor couple by now. I wanted to nail one of those “condemned” signs to the door.

Bye for now! And I hope you’re able to save your relatives from bad investments! Good luck!

Marie

Originally Posted By: eharden

Don’t you think that inspecting a potential property for your self is sort of like a doctor self diagnosing? icon_sad.gif I would rather call on a local NACHI member for a professional courtesy. While I am on that subject, any member in the Baltimore metro area who would like an outsider’s opinion, on a property they may be looking at just contact me via this thread. At the very least, maybe we could work together on the inspection.

Eric Harden

First Choice Inspection Services

"That which does not kill me, makes me stronger."

Hi Eric!

I see your point but this property was going to be a re-sale investment and I wanted to be sure I could make my money back +…I wanted to do the inspection. Besides, this was in very, very, very remote backwoods Tennessee. I don’t think there was an NACHI member for 300 miles! Hell, the real estate agent was confused about what a HI is when I explained it to her. She had that, “I’m a deer caught in your headlights” look. I’m glad to be back in Florida! Thanks for your advice though.

Marie

Originally Posted By: lfranklin

So Marie, I take it that you are not impressed with TN. icon_redface.gif

and welcome to the board

Hi Larry!

Oh, on the contrary! I lived in TN for 30 years and I will defend it and the people who live there! I was only stating the facts in this one case. I know some very smart, witty, and ambitious people from TN. The way I see it, every state has their defects in people and then they have the truely greats as well. In fact I’ve always wanted to live in the mountains outside of Nashville! Where are you from? I used to live in a small town between Nashville and Memphis. I was born in Rochester, NY so I was raised by a couple of “damn Yankees”…but I would NEVER move back to NY! TOO cold!

Marie

Originally Posted By: lfranklin

Hi Marie, I’m in the east part of TN. Next to the Smoky Mountains.

Now back to inspecting for your own. Well, I would do the same as you did.

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

Quote:
Don't you think that inspecting a potential property for your self is sort of like a doctor self diagnosing?

Gee Eric,

Don't mechanics look at the cars they buy? I did the inspection last year on the house I purchased. I wouldn't consider it a professional courtesy to hire a local NACHI inspector. I feel much more confident in my ability after 9 years of this to inspect my or any home than I would someone else, and I would think that most inspectors (hopefully) feel the same about themselves. I think looking at a property is quite a bit different than a doctor self diagnosing an illness, although my cousin is an MD and takes care of himself pretty well!

BTW, at least so far, my wife hasn't told me that I missed anything ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

Blaine

inspector says this, that and the other thing need replaced." Now all the BS reasons fly about why the repairs don’t need to take place but they can’t BS you.

I would rather negotiate the deal from the position that my disinterested third party has advised me.... than, I as a licensed inspector say that you need to.......

What could be sweeter?

--
Inspection Nirvana!

Hi john,

I have to say I agree with Blaine. Maybe I’m just not understanding your point. The way I see it, it doesn’t matter if your an inspector or not does it? If you find faults with the house you want to buy, you can still negotiate on the price. And who says you have to tell anyone you’re a HI? Just go in and check the place out, buy it if it’s a good deal, shake the dust off your feet and move on if it isn’t. Like Blaine, I don’t feel I need another HI to look at it. If I find faults with a home that will cost a bit to repair, and they want to sell, HI or not, they have to negotiate. End of story! If I’ve missed your point, John, please explain. Have a great day!

It is nice here in Florida, right Blaine!

Marie

John,

My Realtor wrote right into the contract that the buyer was a licensed home inspector and wished to perform the home inspection himself. When the contract was returned, two more disclosures were made with the contract, one of which was a hidden defect, and both defects were "already scheduled for repair".

I gave the house a thorough inspection, wrote a report just like I would for any other client, and my Realtor negotiated on my behalf. No BS reasons flew for any repairs. I also didn't ask for anything stupid or minor.

From your post, it sounds like you are doing the negotiating without a Realtor. In that case, I might consider using another inspector, but I doubt it. This business is not like a lawyer representing himself, or a doctor self diagnosing. It is more like a mechanic buying a car, or a marine surveyor buying a boat. All parties were satisfied with the deal, and next time I buy, I will do the same thing.

Blaine ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

PS 83 and sunny today, Marie

Marie,

Many points:

It's more fun this way
Blindside negoitiating
Another inspector may pickup on something you missed
You have an inspection document from a third party
You share the wealth and build relationships with NACHI fellows
You seperate yourself from the inspection process (strictly the buyer)

Of course, if you can't afford to pay for an inspection .... ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

Your way is not wrong. I would just recommend hiring a licensed inspector to anyone. Including myself.

--
Inspection Nirvana!

Hi John,

I see your point about building relations with fellow NACHI HIs. That’s always a good idea. But I can tell you that I had a lot of fun doing the inspection myself too, knowing the agent and the sellers had no idea I was a CHI! It was a blast! So I know what your say about that! It is fun, isn’t! Maybe that “I’m a deer caught in your headlights” look on the agents face that day was really an “I’m not gonna sell this house today” look. What do you think?

I have to get ready for work now! Everyone have a fun day!

Marie

Originally Posted By: dvalley

I like the different opinions here, but everyone should be aware that when you find a house you really like…you become blind to certain defects, because you want that house to be yours.

Having a NACHI member inspect with or after me would be my way to go.

David Valley

MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

Originally Posted By: eharden

David,

You beat me to the punch. icon_biggrin.gif I have to think reeeel hard to put it that simply, yet so eloquently. That is due to my being a public school survivor.

BTW, Blaine, who said anything about "hiring" a fellow NACHI member? When I provide a professional courtesy, my services are free of charge, with the understanding that I will receive a reciprocal courtesy when I need one.

--
Eric Harden
First Choice Inspection Services

"That which does not kill me, makes me stronger."

Well guys, we’ll just have to agree to disagree. I would always expect to pay for service at the market rate. I wouldn’t have an inspector take a booking slot or his free time to work for free. Now a few cold beers…

My wife may buy houses on emotion, but I don't. After being through thousands of em, my attitude towards a house is that its just another F***** house, and they all need work. So lemme ask you this. When you buy investment properties, do you inspect them, or call a fellow NACHI competitor. When I buy an investment property, I'm only looking at dollars. When I buy a residence, my wife picks it and I get to do/have done all of the work. I have never inspected either type property any different than I would for a paying client. I also get to live in the house or hear from tenants who do, so it's also a way of self checking my work.

I think you guys just want to see your competitors reports and MO ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

Blaine

Originally Posted By: psabados

Here’s my take

First the decision is made that its time for a new house, for whatever reason, doesn't matter

Next, comes the endless checking of the neighborhood, driving up and down streets looking. The countless hours spent searching the internet for candidates, all the FISBO and RE mags and newspapers. ![](upload://8OTTBnuYwRtdV2GoECYNd2c7uVB.gif)

Then armed with the few possible candidates list, comes the lets make an appt and check them out. Don't forget to bring the camera or video so you don't forget which was what. While the wife is going from room to room commenting on Oh isn't this nice, this isn't, Oh the cute yadda yadda yadda. Ima doing the cursory visual inspection.

When the final selection is made, I know if I have any concerns about HVAC, electrical, foundation, roofing ![](upload://sbbjZLuCEvUsKSOy74Uv8epan5o.gif) or whatever I will have the person along with me when I do my inspection. Anyone else interested in a ride along is welcomed also.

When a person is trained to perform in a certain field they usually do the same work at home if required. Whens the last time that you heard of an electrician or plumber hiring out repairs or installs in his own home. Or a real estate agent using another agent to find his or her home.

What's the difference here? ![](upload://cGrZNWBhCIslr1Nn2ljM5MrgQ6h.gif)

If you have doubts about your ability or opinion...well need I say more

My discounted two cents worth

Paul

Originally Posted By: jpeck

What’s to stop you from inspecting the property you are thinking of buying, AND having it inspected by a third party?

As the prospective buyer, it is your obligation to look it over. Just because you have a trained eye does not mean you should not do so.

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Originally Posted By: dvalley

I do not have doubts about my abilities, I just want to see if I had missed anything from that blind eye I just talked about. If we both come up with the same defects, then fine. Inspection complete.

But all for nothing, I’m hoping he finds something that I totally missed. That way I know all the grounds have been covered.

If two individual Home Inspectors are called in to inspect one specific house at two different intervals, Expect each report to be written up in two totally different manners and they will have two different aspects of deficiencies. Now think about it, wouldn’t you rather have four eyes vs. two eyes, looking at your property? I definitely would. And when you start talking about money for the other Inspector, Please…we are talking about an honest investment here, not “I’m trying to saving money because I know I can do it myself” attitude.

Please buddy up when you inspect your personal investments, it won’t hurt. It’s a win win situation.

Where do you go wrong hiring another Inspector to walk through your house with you?

David Valley

MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."