Inspection Nightmares - Horders

Have anybody walk away from an inspection that has junk, roaches, etc…?

1 Like

Not yet Walter, but I certainly would if I encountered one like your pictures showed. Did you decline the inspection?

I did one like that a few years ago, actually it was probably worse.

Almost the entire report was disclaimers… “not inspected due to storage of personal property”. Got paid for the whole thing too.

Hope this helps

Cheers

2 Likes

I have never walked away from or declined an inspection due to the conditions of a house. I have seen worse than that, but did the inspection as best and as thoroughly as I could, and had to disclaim quite a bit. If a follow-up or re-inspection is wanted, I would charge a full fee, and probably more, knowing that it would probably take longer and I would find considerably more issues to report. In the case of the worst house I’ve been in, i believe the buyers had put in an offer without actually seeing the house first and were disgusted when they arrived. They paid me and left about 15 minutes later. A few years later, I still don’t think they ever actually downloaded the report.

Sounds like a quick inspection fee, to me…hoarders.

1 Like

Sometimes you just have to walk away, even if it means returning a fee, which rarely happens. I once did a 56 unit apartment complex over a weekend with my assistants. Most apartments were fine but we had a few that had really disgusting conditions. One was a meth lab, which we immediately left (and reported to the police after we finished the last apartment). One apartment in particular was full of garbage and spilled food. A mouse ran over my boot and i said “Pack it out fellas. Let’s go!”, and that was the end of our visit to that apartment. You see enough in the first 15 seconds to write some observations and disclaimers. Don’t put your health or safety in jeopardy (or your employees).

1 Like

I did a townhouse last year looked just like that, maybe worse. The guy has used me before and buys properties for renting. He and the Agent wore masks (remember this was pre-covid19). LOL The report was heavy on the disclaimers since so many areas were obscured by trash, even the floors. Ha Ha he asked me if I was giving him a discount: I told him I oughta charge him more!

Joseph wrote:

“…Did you decline the inspection?”

No. However this report will be rich filled with disclaimers. Since I did not know that I was walking into a situation like that, I did the best I could to get the best results possible (OBTW, half the basement was flooded). Oh, well.

2 Likes

Been in worse. One was so bad I called the buyer and told him I couldn’t do a proper inspection. He said he understood and asked me to do the best I could so onward.

Many years ago, one of my partners looked in at a hoarders condo and said he could not inspect it and walked out. He didn’t charge a fee. The buyer still bought it. A few months later, the buyer was suffering from several ailments and an environmental survey found meth. Of course, attorneys and lawsuits and settlements later, Colorado real estate classes talk about it, but our company was not involved in anyway. I think that you can adequately disclaimer your way out of serious trouble, but you can avoid getting even near it by walking away.

1 Like