Inspection of Manufactured Homes

No…

[/QUOTE]

If you removed the metal undercarrage you would have a sunken living room, kitchen, family, laundry room, bedrooms and sunken baths…:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Thanks for the input. I told them no, but they wanted me to ask anyway. I think they were mislead by the salesperson who told them it could be made into a modular. I told them according to my interpretation of the definitions of the two the manufactured home is still a manufactured home and not a modular. Getting a good hands on education just starting out!
Terry

If you removed the metal undercarrage you would have a sunken living room, kitchen, family, laundry room, bedrooms and sunken baths…:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
[/quote]

Well, there is that too, Dan…sounds kinda’ stylish. :smiley:

“On-frame” modular homes should. You can barely distinguish an on-frame modular home from a double-wide mobile home. See a copy of an mail below:

=====================================

[FONT=Arial]From: Gary Wiggins[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]Sent: October 30, 2003[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]Subject: Modular Home Codes[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial]The only difference between modular houses and manufactured houses is the building code under which they are built. Manufactured housing is constructed under the Federal Manufactured Housing Code, whereas modular housing is constructed under the International Residential Code (IRC), which is the same code used for site built houses. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial]Modular buildings may have a transportation frame (on-frame modulars) or no transportation frame (off-frame modulars). South Carolina law does not differentiate between on-frame and off-frame modular houses and considers both equivalent to site built houses when they are placed on a foundation constructed in accordance with the IRC.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial]All manufactured houses have a frame for transportation. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial]For identification purposes, manufactured houses are required by federal law to have a HUD label attached to them and modular houses are required by state law to have a Building Codes Council label attached to them. If a BCC label is attached to the unit, it must, by state law, be accepted as a modular house.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial]Gary F. Wiggins[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]Administrator[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]SC Building Codes Council[/FONT]

Hi to all

Joe, thats a good explaination, the differences between modular and manufactured homes has been getting very blured over the last few years with traditional manufactured (HUD code) factories churning out modular homes and visa-versa, it is interesting to see the way SC is defining the issue along the lines of perminent foundations.

I can’t help but wonder how long it will take for ICC to integrate HUD codes (or build methods) into the IRC, as this would address one of the major problems within HUD, that being that the HUD codes are typicaly 5-10 years behind the regular code.

Regards

Gerry