Inspection Sheduling Gone Wrong

Im trying to schedule an inspection but the home owner cant give me access during the week until after 5:00 because of them working from home(COVID). I explain to the client that the weekend rate is $125 extra and refuses to pay because we feel the homeowner is being unreasonable. So…now the realtor has asked if I get access to the home at 4:00, do the exterior and then enter the house at 5:00 if that would work. To me that still puts me working after hours and has turned into a dog and pony show. What should I charge for working after 5:00?

At this point ive wasted so much time that im loosing money and would rather not even do it, of course I will though. Im sure there are other inspectors in my area that dont hold up to a set time or after hour rate. If I dont stand for something I’ll fall for anything and will probably loose business because of this due to my business mainly coming from realtors.

Covid-19 has affected everyone. I wouldn’t charge extra or maybe 1/2, for the weekend, depending on how bad I wanted the job and future work from the agents. JMHO, YMMV

2 Likes

6emgw

17 Likes

Just recommend the inspection go to your competition. I’m sure they would be more than willing to take away a home inspection. This isn’t a 9 to 5 business.

7 Likes

That’s no different than tenant occupied rental dwellings, when they tell everyone the only access is the 3rd Tuesday of each month after 7:000PM.

Let someone else sort it out, it sounds like you’ve tried to be fair. Either do it on their terms, or walk away.

2 Likes

It can be if you want it to be.

The majority of “reasonable” sellers or owners understand. I’m not inspecting in the dark, nor will I put off other business (such as report writing, general office tasks, etc.) because of one home bound worker.

Plenty of homes in this area have at-home workers due to the current state of affairs. They can work in their spare room/office, or whatever.

2 Likes

Not for me I offer flexibility. I like to start my inspections at 9 AM however I do a lot of rentals and they don’t vacate the property until 10 AM. Sometimes I only have a few hours, I am more than happy to work around my clients schedule. We all run our business differently. The 9-to-5 reference was a reference to a lifestyle of punching in and punching out with no deviation.

6 Likes

The obstinate renter is not your client. (at least not in the OP’s example).

I would just pass on it but it depends on how busy you are. When I first started I would of done it for no extra money and at their request of the later time.

1 Like

I’ve done many Home Inspections where the seller works from home, and they just stay home during the inspection, even during Covid. They stay out of my way and give me plenty of distance, never been a problem.

4 Likes

Doesn’t sound like they are eager to sell :smiley:

1 Like

It’s not the clients needs, its the home owner.

If you were allowed to see the contract there is a set time in which to do the home inspection. The buyer, seller, and agents work out the specific time. You just go along with it FOR the clients good. If they can’t work out a time there is nothing you can do. If the time is inconvenient for you, do it anyway for the client! Just DO IT!

7 Likes

We don’t start an inspection after 10:30 in the morning. You don’t have to do every job. If the phone rings enough, you can pick and choose your work.

Your family comes first. You have to decide how late you want to work.

4 Likes

We’re open 7 days a week, from 8 am - 8 pm. Seems to work well. Not saying we get a ton of inspections, that fall on the weekend, or late in the evening. We always try to book early and through the week. However, it’s there if needed.

6 Likes

here’s my spin

a little over 23 yrs ago

i opened for biz & named the company to honor my family name

the 1st consideration i had to make was based on the spiritual principle of servicing & dealing with the public & living by “i’ll get the jobs i’m meant to have, the rest belong to someone else”

open 24/7/365, i came from a construction background working 12 hr days 7 days a week on end for an average of 300+ days a year, working & OT has never been a problem for me

i also know everything i can before i book a gig; what the situation is as far as the property & occupancy & adjust my price accordingly, it;s my job to do my homework not any of the other parties involved

doing commercial i’ve had numerous occasions to inspect bars, restaurants, strip clubs, etc. & started at 2:30 AM & had to finish before 7 AM so the staff & customers weren’t aware or of any interference with my protocols, same with hotels & apartments, management & occupants have to be dealt with

people will be people & the more i encounter the fewer i may like but i do not allow that to interfere with my bottom line

in these days of 'rona i’ll take almost any measures within reason to accommodate all parties concerned

btw: being an independent entrepreneur means i don’t have to book ever gig called for & have fired numerous pita clients, realtors, prop owners or occupants; before or during the inspection
i’ll only put up with so much crap & then stick a fork in me i’m done

have tools, will travel

hth

10 Likes

Wha?
I can’t relate. Half of my inspections don’t even start until 5pm.
My available hours are - tell me when you need the inspection. If I’m available, I’ll be there. And if I’m not available, I’ll still be there.
Never heard of an “after 5 rate”.

2 Likes

Wait until 5:00, Call you local HVAC tech and tell them your unit is down.

I have never heard of an after 5PM rate, sounds crazy, client calls for a time, I usually like 9AM, but if they want me there later fine, I’m no HAVC guy but I am trying to make a living, I also do weekends do to the fact I’m trying to make a living. honestly if I were in your neck of the woods I would take all your work as I would do Inspections at 3,4,7,3,1am or 5PM with no after hours rate, just sounds crazy to me

5 Likes

Paul. Your example of an emergency evening repair is not the same as your original question about scheduling an appointment many days in advance for evening hours.

If you don’t understand the difference, perhaps this is the reason you also don’t understand the answers you are getting about this being a service industry.

The answers you got here pretty much are the same you got on the Spectora Facebook page, and you argued with them as well.

If you just want to find some people to agree with you, go talk to some teen agers at McDonalds. They will agree that only a fascist tyrant would ask them to work late shift or do extra hours or go the extra mile for a customer.

There is no wrong answer. You are your own boss. You decide when to work.

15 Likes