Insulation and Pool Electrical questions

As I am fishing through the vast amount of FL code books available online, I just had a couple of quick questions for those who know.

In regards to insulation, the minimum now is R-30. At what time if any has this been not required or less than R-30?

I also have been looking for specific pool electrical or lighting requirements in the 2010 books. Haven’t found it yet. Anyone know where that one is? I found the pool section but nothing with lighting requirements.

Also since its difficult to tell if a 12v converter is failing, does anyone recommend the 120v breaker for the lighting, be retrofitted with a GFCI? All we had was 120V pool lights in TN and all had to have them. It seems like with the recent events of children getting electrocuted, this recommendation would be prudent.

Sean, honestly not sure just right now as far as a date goes but I recall inspecting homes built in 2002 - 2005 with R19 in the ceilings.


I believe it was 2010.

I don’t recommend retrofitting, but I believe it is mandatory in the2008 edition of the NEC.

The answer to your first question isn’t as easy as one simple application or code, there are two different scenarios for minimal insulation requirements. You will not know what is required without a visit to the building department. Under the Energy Conservation Code, two diffrent R-values are listed depanding on what the Engineer designed. The requirements for R-19 are based on Simulated Performance(section 405), this is what most new homes are based on. But like I said, you won’t know exactly what is specified without a visit ot the building department.

The best place to find information on pool lighting and electrical is exactly where Eric said, Article 680 of the NEC.

The pool light transformers are designed to not function if overloaded. No GFCI needed or req’d.

As Robert said 680 of the NEC is the place to look for the pool electrical requirements. The pool industry as a whole is trending away from incandescent lighting and towards LEDs, that said in the older systems we see on inspections most are 12 volt and the specific transformers used are designed to not let any current through if they fail. That’s the reason the NEC says they need to be listed for pool and spa use. 120v lighting was used only for a short time in Florida but there are some still out there and as you pointed out they require a GFCI. As far as adding a GFCI to a 12v lighting circuit, I’ve never seen it done (yet).

Not code but i refer to the department of energy recommended levels and recommend adding more as needed to lower the operating cost of the home