InterNACHI has some lousy inspectors as members. Yes I said it!

I disagree with the premise that licensed states have lousy inspectors. Licensing solves nothing; to this we all agree.

The sole thing that most licensed states provide is the requirement of mandatory minimum requirements that the inspector at least take some CE courses. These courses need state approval in order to count.

I have personally taught in at least one licensed state that did not require CE. Many inspectors need to be TOLD to get CE done. Now, if I was required by law to take CE, the FIRST classes I would likely attend would be the ones that allowed me to keep my license.

Some states recognize on-line education, while others do not.

Inspectors need to do what is required by law to keep their licenses. Beyond that, inspectors need to do what is needed to stay in business during tough times.

Inspectors in licensed states are no more or no less competent than any other inspector.

IMO, the major defect to be found in licensed states is the mistaken consumer confidence in the license as representing a guarantee of competence.

Jim writes:

Correct. Licensing also gives the license-holding inspector a mistaken belief that he/she is competent.

One of the best questions a consumer can ask of an inspector is:

“Can you tell me what courses and/or training you’ve recently completed that was above and beyond what our state government requires?.. or did you just do the bare minimum to keep your license?”

I also recommend that members who have done more than the bare minimum, put this on their websites:

Looking to hire an inspector? Ask me what courses and training I’ve completed above and beyond what is required to keep my license. I’m proud to tell you.

Yes damn it, you sure do!

Glad I am in a Licensed State that requires no CEU’s.

Ditto—how much can POSSIBLY be taught about a slab on grade with a cement Tile Roof

Good God-----NOTHING

Friggin jackasses!!!..I don’t think ANY CE is needed…there is NOTHING to LEARN, especially being a Builder all my life, NOT a Circle-K employee as my last endeavor.