InterNACHI's Comments on Home Inspector Panel Recommendations.

I’ll build the response we are sending out on this thread in post #2 as we go. If you comment in this thread please follow the numbering system that The Home Inspector Panel used in their report: http://www.ontariocanada.com/registry/showAttachment.do?postingId=14645&attachmentId=22811 They start on page 9.

Here is the post where we will build-out the responses.

Here is the post where we will build out the responses.

InterNACHI is particularly suited to providing responses for two reasons. First, we have had a lot of experience with licensing in the states and in Alberta. Second, we are the largest inspection association in the world, including Canada, and especially in Ontario. One should not infer that InterNACHI’s use of the term “Agree” means that we support the recommendation but, rather, that we don’t strongly disagree with it.

1. Agree.

2. Agree.
    a. Agree.
    b. Mostly agree. However, the definition should be limited to four or fewer residential dwellings.
    c. BLANK
    i. Agree.
    ii. Disagree. The CSA has not released a standard. The standard that the CSA releases may be unsuitable. For example, in the U.S., CSA’s sister company ASTM released an atrocious SOP for commercial properties, which forced InterNACHI to develop a suitable one for the industry. See www.nachi.org/comsop.htm

3. Agree.
    a. Disagree. See response in 2.b.ii.
    b. Agree.

4. Agree.
    a). Disagree. The requirement of separate contracts for each service above and beyond a general home inspection would be too burdensome.
    b. Agree.

5. Agree.

6. BLANK
    a. Agree.
    b. Disagree. This has been attempted numerous times before and has failed because it is too expensive to implement, and grading by a likely future competitor is too subjective.
    c. Disagree. InterNACHI believes this recommendation is a typo and that the panel meant to say, “Meeting established educational requirements.” It would be impossible for someone to enter the inspection profession if he/she was required to find a licensed home inspector (likely a future competitor) to agree to mentor them. Furthermore, the Entry to Practice section (as currently written) does not include educational requirements. A correction of the typo as suggested by InterNACHI would result in InterNACHI’s comment to change to “Agree.”

7. Disagree. No regulatory body can accomplish the impossible. Every home inspector has to have his/her first client. There is no way around this.

8. Disagree. It is irresponsible to license inspectors who haven’t completed any inspection-related courses. To do so would be a first in our industry and would harm consumers by tricking them into believing that a licensed home inspector has completed coursework similar to that required for other professionals. Robust inspection courses are readily available. For example, InterNACHI members have free (no financial deterrent to improve competency) and unlimited access to over 100 advanced inspection-related courses that have been awarded over 1,200 governmental accreditations and approvals. See www.nachi.org/education.htm To release into the community uneducated inspectors to compete with InterNACHI members using the exact same government-issued credential (license) would confuse consumers by tricking them into believing that all home inspectors are equally educated. This would ultimately harm consumers.

9. Agree. Furthermore, the CANADA CIPC Authorization for Release of Information used by the Master Inspector Certification Board permits the background checks to be limited to criminal records and to not include information such as credit reports and driving history. See www.certifiedmasterinspector.org

10. Agree. This assumes that the panel meant to say that there should be one title for licensed home inspectors. There are other titles for professional designations in Canada, such as Certified Master Inspector (CMI), which has been awarded a Registered Trademark in Canada. See http://certifiedmasterinspector.org/canadian-government-awards-certified-master-inspector-trademark/

11. Agree.

12. Agree. However, this requirement should not apply to inspection vehicles so as to protect consumers’ confidentiality.

13. Agree.
    a). Disagree. The regulatory body should approve inspection courses. This is a common practice in both the U.S. and Canada. See right column of www.nachi.org/education.htm
    b). Agree.
    c). BLANK
    i). Agree.
    ii). Agree.

14. Agree.

15. Agree.

16. Agree.

17. Agree.
    a). Agree. For example, InterNACHI operates a free online library for both inspectors and consumers that includes hundreds of inspection-related articles. See www.nachi.org/articles.htm These articles are also made available in Spanish and French.

18. Agree.
    a). Agree.
    b). Agree.

19. Agree.

20. Agree.
    a). Agree.

21. Agree.

22. Agree.

23. Agree.

24. Agree.

25. Agree.

26. Agree.
    a). Agree.
    b). Agree.
    c). Disagree. This requirement is not strong enough. InterNACHI recommends that language be copied from InterNACHI’s Code of Ethics, item #7 a. and b. See http://www.nachi.org/code_of_ethics.htm

27. Agree.
    a). Agree.
    b). Agree.
    c). Agree.
    d). Agree.

28. Agree.
    a). Agree.
    b). Agree.
    c). Agree.

29. Agree.

30. Agree.

31. Agree.

32. Agree.

33. Agree.

34. Agree.

35. Agree. Grandfathering should be modeled similarly to Alberta. Alberta grandfathered all Certified Master Inspectors (CMIs) by legislation. Certified Master Inspectors are undisputedly the best of the best in the inspection industry and, as was true in Alberta, Certified Master Inspectors will provide a smooth transition in Ontario while licensing is being adopted.
    a). Agree.
    b). Agree.
    c). Agree.
    d). Agree.

General comments at the end:

The question remains. Are the costs of creating and running a complex regulation program outweighing the real, not perceived risk to the consumer?

Home Inspections are not a mandatory service, therefore it is up to the consumer to decide if they want a home inspection or not. The decisions on hiring a home inspector are based upon definitive inputs. All of these revolve around money. A home inspection releases the seller from liability in all but the rare case when a defect is deliberately covered. A home inspection provides protection to the buyer from the Caveat Emptor terms associated with home sales. A home Inspection releases almost entirely the Realtor from any negligence on their part in a home sale. As part of a home sale transaction there is always a seller, always a buyer and more than not a realtor.

Increasing the costs of operation to the home Inspector, whether it be through mandatory formalized education, higher insurances, costly standards documents or large licensing fees can only be recovered by home Inspectors by increasing their prices. As the critical influencer in the consumer decision to have a home inspection is the price, it is likely with higher prices, less home inspections will occur.

This puts the consumers at a higher risk. Simultaneously it reduces the work availability for Home Inspectors, and will put many out of work. This will increase the pressure on the budget of any DAA, which will lead to further increases in licensing fees. The circle will continue until there are no home inspectors and no home inspections. Net benefit to the consumer = nil. Net cost to the taxpayer = ??? Net cost to the home Inspectors who rely on the business to provide their income and family support = everything.

Regulation is necessary to provide a standard to which all Home Inspectors can be measured. Complex regulation is not only unnecessary, but in our opinion unwise.

Anyone want to add anything before I send it?

I agree with most of your input except the grandfathering bit–I think there should be no grandfathering whatsoever–we all prove our credentials (education and experience) to the licensing board and no third party credentials should be accepted as substitutes. Next thing you know RHI’s will want to be grandfathered, and then National certificate holders–and then before you know it, its the same jumbled mess of requirements that is the current ontario inspection industry.

If they are going to regulate it, use the same meter (or yard :D) stick to measure everyone.

just my .02

It is the same yardstick. But CMI’s are 100’ tape measures. That’s why they always get grandfathered. Besides, you can’t disrupt the entire real estate market for agents and consumer while you adopt licensing. You need grandfathering to have a smooth transition.

Grand fathering works well this is how electricians in the 195# where licenced .
This is how auto mechanics 196# where licenced .This has happened with many other trades and it worked well .
I do not feel we can not grandfather in a Homie who has made his living for X number of years .
Taking there living away should never even be considered.

Interesting that we are thinking on the same lines of thought. Keep them coming guys.

It is feasible that a smart kid could ace every exam and still not be able to do a Home Inspection. For this and other reasons it is best that it not be the big yard stick to measure with. Cmi has to be the stick or some way to prove you are above it.

CMI is used for grandfathering because it really is perfect for that purpose.

They want to help consumers but state they want NO education requirement? Really?

Counterproductive if you ask me.

I know of no one who disagrees with you. It’s a bit wacky. A first in our industry.

Sounds like someone at the meetings had a hate-on for course providers.

I wonder what value a license would have in the publics eyes if they knew that their inspector had no educational training as a home inspector.

Rediculous.

I expect I have been to many more Home Inspectors meetings then you.
I also expect I have been to more home Inspection conferences then you .
I see nothing wrong in requiring up grades if required .
I also see problems and law suits if we try and take away a persons lively hood that has supported a family for some time as a home Inspector.

I see people using these home Inspectors ( I wonder what value a license would have in the publics eyes if they knew that their inspector had no educational training as a home inspector. )
all the time now and not complaining till after the inspection.
They have hired the person with the lowest price .

Skip a CMI was told he was high recommended by a friend to a client and they booked the inspection .
She later called back and said she was going with another homie as they had a lower price ($25.00) and thanked Skip and hung up the phone.

I Have had several Client’s call and say they wanted to use me but the Real Estate Agent put the pressure on and would not let them. Strange how much influence they have in the sale of a Home.
I was also told by one Client that one Association black listed me for being too thorough with the Inspections.
Have several agents say they would not use me again. They are out of business.
I have had several try to control the Inspection in various ways.
The only way this Home Inspection licensing will work is to take the influence away from Real Estates and keep them doing there job. Selling homes that should be sold to suspecting buyers. Leave the comments at the door when it comes to Inspection.

They should not develop standards for Home Inspectors. Not a strong enough support from Home Inspectors.
2 C (ii)
3 A It has not even been developed yet and the group is not made up of Home Inspectors. The
Canadian Standards Association’s
A770 Home Inspection (currently under development) should not be a standard for Home Inspectors and a book SOP developed by InterNachi would be best.

Since there seems to be no more comments
I guess that is it Nick.
Thanks for getting that all together for us.

Last call before I send it.

Going once…

The ones that are going to do the most crying in this whole deal are the ones that didn’t even bother to answer any of the government questionnaires/surveys, or raise their voice in a 5 minute email.
Because oahi’s BOD got off their butts and told every member to answer the surveys they “appear” to have the largest membership as outlined in the skewed report.

Ontario Association of Home Inspectors (OAHI)/Canadian Association of Home and Property Inspectors (CAHPI) 0.481 358

Because of this, they believe they should have preferential treatment!
Because of this, they have asked to be rolled into the DAA and eventually try to take over!

International Association of Certified Home Inspectors (InterNACHI) 0.409 305 out of over 600…pretty bad.

Internachi members have only let themselves down here, because they were too lazy to respond to the governments queries. That is the truth! There is still time to have your concerns heard…if they actually listen as everyday oahi is lobbying them!
It will take every member to respond it is your future, one mass response still only acts as one email!
The document can be found here: http://ontarioachi.ca/
**Time until comments on the regulation of home inspectors in Ontario closes.

**10** Days, **17** Hours, **11** Minutes, **56** Seconds. 

The Ministry of Consumer services link for the proposals and feedback from are here

Not a cance in the world Oahi will take over.